KPTV adding Cozi, Laff

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    washnotore
    Participant

I’m not sure why the owners of KOIN/KPTV/KPDX and Watch TV. Are being the last hold out’s for diginet programing. All the other TV markets that larger or smaller than Portland. Are using diginets as a way for addition income for the station. And to keep there there digital stream max out. In way to keep OTA UHF Band in place to avoid repacking. With the upcoming spectrum reallocation in 2016. I guess it all coming down to money flow. And what our local market will support.

mwdxer1
    Participant

One of the Portland CE’s told me a few years back that it is possible the FCC will sell off more spectrum, knocking the highest channel down to 30 or 35. If that happens, then we will not get all of the diginet goodies as there will be nowhere to locate them. I wonder if the TV stations could move closer together, like channels right next door to each other? I think a couple Seattle stations do that and apparently it works. (48 &49) That way, the cities could still have enough spectrum to run everything. The old analog spacing of every other channel, the spacing was needed. But today that seems to be different.
    Portland seems to be slow in adding sub channels alright. I have expected KOIN to mention Decades by now, but still nothing. I do know the CE there told me some years back that KOIN likes running full bandwidth giving the best 1080′ pq in the city.
    With all of the great sub channels out there, I was hoping Portland would have more. Heroes & Icons is another good one. They run a lot of great classic TV shows. Buzzr is another new one running classic old Game Shows like the B&W ones GSN ran. Cities like LA & Chicago have just about all of the sub channel fare as there are so many TV stations.

semoochie
    Participant

The total amount of channels has nothing to do with how many sub-channels can fit in each one and I don’t believe they can change the per-channel bandwidth without obsoleting older televisions.

mwdxer1
    Participant

What I was getting at that if the spectrum does not have the space for all of the TV stations in the market, then stations may have to double up. In other words, two stations may be forced to to be on one channel, so the stations would not have the room to add sub channels. This may be true in the future in large cities like LA or Chicago. In the situation of KPTV/KPDX. KPDX could ending up at 12.2, rather than on 30. This is a possibility if the FCC sells off too much of the spectrum. OLder TV’s should have little to do with the bandwidth as all older TV’s have to use a converter box anyway to receive the digital channels. If the converter box can handle closer spacing, then the problem could be solved. I wonder how Seattle handles a 48 & 49 right in the same market?

Chico
    Participant

It’s actually 38 and 39, KOMO and KIRO. Both 1MW signals, both from the same hill, though different towers. I have watched both of these OTA in different parts of the market, with both cheapo RadioShack converter boxes and digital TVs, and noticed no problem interference. Of course, it’s digital, so by interference I mean lockups etc.

So, yupo…you can pack them pretty tightly.

Andy Brown
    Participant

ATSC channels on adjacent channels has been shown to be practical. The “trick” is that the transmitters/antennae have to be located at the same site.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/expertise/0003/what-you-need-to-know-about-adjacent-channel-interference/219826

semoochie
    Participant

MW, I don’t see the FCC taking away law abiding TV stations. I know it belongs to the public but they might reasonably assume it belongs to them and call in the NAB, US Congress and the like who are likely to mention something about the public interest, convenience and necessity!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t see it either, but with the FCC selling off spectrum and many TV stations have had to move down from higher to lower channels, it is a concern of some engineers as in large metro areas, there is just so much space. LA and area has about 30 OTA stations (at least) and some of the LP ones are crammed right in the middle. Like between 7 and 9 in LA, there is a LP 8 and between 9 and 11 there is a 10. A friend in the area cannot get either 8 or 10. Of course all are digital.
    So the two Seattle stations (38 & 39) are on the same hill. No interference, so maybe there is some future is adjacent channels in metro areas.
    I great thing about digital are the sub channels. A big plus for the TV station with more ad money and a plus for the viewer. I would hate to lose that.
    Even out here on the Oregon Coast right now we only have 8 and 10 with sub channels, but in the next couple of weeks, 2 will join 8 & 10. Hopefully in time 12 & 49, leaving just 6 without any sub channels. In rural areas, adding all of the subs, really makes OTA TV quite good. One downsize to digital at this distance, when there is any disturbance between Portland and the coast, the signals can be quite glitchy and we can lose the signal all together for periods of time. There is quite a long distance between the West Hills and the Coast. Ch 12 is the best without glitches as much, but it still happens to all of them. Where as KATU still analog doesn’t have that issue, but again no sub channels with analog. I get very strong signals from the Megler translators at 12 miles away, 100% on 8, 10, 12/49, and KOIN at 96% (lower power 576 w ERP). The others running 1800 watts to 5700 watts.

semoochie
    Participant

“Where as KATU still analog doesn’t have that issue…” What does that mean? There aren’t any full power analog TV stations anymore.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have no clue what is going on, as the KPTV/KPDX translator signal(Megler Mt) has been dead all day. There is the 100% signal, but no video/audio ch 21. If there is an issue, generally it goes to SD and scans in as 21.1, with KPDX gone, just KPTV.The rest of the translators are there fine. During hot weather often there is a lot of breakup in the digital signal reaching Megler as the distance from the West Hills to the mountain NE of here is still a good 60 miles. According to the KATU engineering dept, the KATU translator (26) should be going digital this month, but still analog as of tonight.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I was reading another source where is mentions that Laff will be added to KPTV in mid Summer, so I would guess anytime.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KPTV/KPDX returned today. No changes as yet yet on the North Coast.

skeptical
    Participant

I’m looking at COZI right now. Miami Vice is showing. A perfectly square image (1:1) on the screen (and, no, it’s NOT my TV), plus, no closed captioning. Hardly worth the 11 pages of discussion here. I rather watch Creflo Dollar hawk up more cash from his followers than distorted TV images.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I think people just was wondering when KPTV was going to add Laff and Escape on 49, as planed.

Jbpdx
    Participant

TVGuide.com is listing 12.3 and 49.2; I wonder if they know something?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.