COVID’s impact on elections

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

I think it’s fair to say that more conservatives have died of COVID compared to liberals. Will it get to the point where this will impact election results in swing districts?

Andrew
    Participant

Funny, I had this same thought the other day myself. But I suspect it won’t really make that much difference. How many additional people are really dying in swing districts vs. people dying in red states?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Even some conservatives are pushing vaccines more now, as there are so many deaths in these states. I heard Biden say today, that people that are vaccinated have a 1 in 5000 chance of becoming positive. That is a really low figure, so everyone needs to get their shots. I have both of mine as well as the new Flu Shot. I am 72 and do not want to take chances.

Andrew
    Participant

The “1 in 5000” figure we’ve seen cited this week is silly – one’s risk of getting infected depends on one’s lifestyle and behavior. If went to bars regularly (instead of never) I’d have a much higher risk of getting infected. If I lived with others (instead of alone) my risk would be higher also.

semoochie
    Participant

There’s a family that has a You Tube channel. My wife has been following them. The entire family came down with Covid, despite living way out in the country, never seeing anyone and rarely going into town!

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s premature to parse out the lost vote in swing vs red states. Getting out the vote will still be critical because of many reasons, but in the case of deaths within the anti vaxxers one must also consider that the G.O.P. is also busy trying to prevent the poor, immigrants and the undereducated from voting. It may be a wash in the end, depending on what the Democrats do about it.

On the other hand, conservative talk show hosts, key factors in the amplification of misinformation, are dropping like flies.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trio-conservative-radio-hosts-died-covid-will-their-deaths-change-n1278258

Master of Disaster
    Participant

The Master of Disaster guesses there will be more support for mail-in voting than before.

As far as shifts in votes for either major party, the Master of Disaster guesses it’ll eventually come down to individual voters being personally and directly affected by Coronavirus, which seems to be the only way to reach those who believe they have the right to belive in disinformation. They then seem to realize they’ve been purposely misinformed and in some cases support Coronavirus countermeasures.

The Master of Disaster kinda wishes that when Biden went on TV September 9th, instead of saying what he said he instead said everyone in the United States over the age of twelve that isn’t allergic to the vaccines must get the vaccine ‘or else’. Notice the Master of Disaster didn’t say ‘if they work for the federal government’ or ‘a large enough company’, everyone. Seriously, our ancestors fought World Wars, many of them voluntarily signing up to risk their life for their country and way of life, and all we’re asking of people now is to get a vaccine.

Andrew
    Participant

semoochie:

There’s a family that has a You Tube channel. My wife has been following them. The entire family came down with Covid, despite living way out in the country, never seeing anyone and rarely going into town!

I’ve heard lots of anecdotes like this. But I’m always skeptical of the idea that people were really as careful as they claim. First of all, it takes only ONE person in the family to be careless one time and that’s all it takes to infect the rest of the family. Is every family member being honest about their behavior? Also, some people may not realize what’s “safe” and what’s not. Being in close contact with people, especially indoors, is risky the longer you are in contact – less so without masks but even then not without risk even if you are masked.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Total COVID deaths in Florida are 48,273.

In 2018 the governors race was decided by 32,463.

So if 67% of the deaths are Republicans, it would be a razor close outcome in votes.

I know it’s a stretch, but this is what I was talking about.

Andrew
    Participant

A lot of those Covid deaths were not Republicans. They were nursing home residents, family members of people who got infected, etc. I don’t think you can say that there will be 48K fewer Republican voters in the next election based on that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.