Covid 19 takes a back seat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Wow, the pandemic appears to be the 2nd biggest story all of a sudden. I think not. Media go to shiny objects but the pandemic should still be the number one story.

45 million out of work. Economy destroyed. And no real end in sight.

Racial divides have been with us throughout our history and while this is an important thing to recognize and respond to, we have a much bigger issue to solve right now. Just imho.

lastday
    Participant

Andy once characterized AM HD as stuffing 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag. That’s kind of what the media is dealing with now, only it’s 100 lbs of shit. They can’t keep up. Everyone’s eye is off the ball and fixated on today’s bright shiny object.

When trump was elected I had a lot of faith in the media to shine light on the truth. Not so much now.

Maybe it’s just me.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I remember when Tonya’s goon whacked Nancy’s knee and the media frenzy at Channel 2 was unparalleled. Those that had been around for Mt. St. Helens said the Tonya thing was less newsworthy but more insane. Reporters from Europe and Japan all wandering the halls, milling about the tape room and MCR, with no end in sight. I would come to work, look at the repairs on my bench, and before I could even pour a cup of bad coffee from the newsroom and get my bearings, the uplinks beckoned me to the SAT rack. For my entire shift. Bob Kalstad, the assistant GM even went out and got me one of those floor mats since the MCR floor was concrete and there wasn’t room near the rack for a chair (nor could I reach anything sitting down anyway). Then one day Mt. St. Helens burped, and the place cleared out like someone had pulled the fire alarm. The new shiny object was the mountain, but it was just a little fart of smoke and dust, and within 48 hours they were all back to the station to do their Tonya stories. It was insane for a week (at least, don’t remember exactly). Try explaining to the Japanese guys who didn’t speak much English that their being late to the rack meant their 15 minute story wouldn’t fit in the 11 minutes left in the quarter hour booked for their feed. “You can’t stop!” they yelled. I tried to tell them that the relay to Japan was dropping us at 00:15 and there was nothing I could do and that me staying up on the first hop bird didn’t mean squat. The trans pacific relay in California dropped us but that didn’t show on any monitor, but they finally figured it out when Japan called them asking where the last few minutes were. Had to rebook. Imagine a whole week of that. Oy.

Yeah, local news, national news, international news . . . it’s all about the next big story. Calling it a shiny object is too polite. They all wanted blood, death, etc.

paulwalker
    Participant

Great story Andy!

paulwalker
    Participant

I have been watching cnn for the past 60 minutes with no mention of pandemic with Don Lemon. The agenda is clear.

DanOregon
    Participant

People may want to “move on” – news orgs may feel the story is played out – but COVID-19 really doesn’t care about your news cycle or peoples short attention span. It will be with us for months.

Andy Brown
    Participant

ICU beds in several hot spot cities in several states are full and cases remain on the increase.

The media is putting the civil unrest at the top of the rundown, but covid is hardly in the back seat.

The U.S. surpassed two million coronavirus cases on Wednesday. Infections are rising in 21 states.

More than 112,000 people have died from COVID-19 in the U.S. — the most fatalities reported by any nation, according to a tracker from Johns Hopkins University. And most experts believe those numbers underestimate the true toll.

The latest data also reflects the difficulty of quashing the coronavirus. While some early hot spots such as New York state have seen a sustained drop in new cases, COVID-19 hospitalizations have swelled recently in places like Texas, Arizona, Arkansas and California.

Texas set new records for COVID-19 hospitalizations on three consecutive days this week, with a total of 2,153 hospitalized patients on Wednesday. The state was among the first to start the reopening process, and Gov. Greg Abbott is moving forward with plans to raise occupancy limits for bars, restaurants, amusement parks and other businesses.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/10/873473805/u-s-hits-2-million-coronavirus-cases-as-many-states-see-a-surge-of-patients

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

“Swine flu strain with human pandemic potential increasingly found in Chinese pigs”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/swine-flu-strain-human-pandemic-potential-increasingly-found-chinese-pigs

lastday
    Participant

Masks required of everyone at indoor businesses starting Wednesday. I’m sure that will go over well in towns like Burns and Madras.

paulwalker
    Participant

Well,I don’t know. Even here up in Eastern Washington, most are complying. But Tri-Cities is quite a bit larger than Burns and Madras, so who knows. The thing is this is mandatory in both States, but there will be no enforcement. At this point, those who do not “wear” are likely to be shunned upon atleast on a mental state. Those who confront will just get themselves into an argument. Not worth it. Interesting times.

radiogeek
    Participant

I don’t know about that. I can’t believe how lax folks in Clackamas County are being.

I was thinking of making a T shirt that says

Man Up and Mask Up

or

asking people (male) who won’t wear a mask why they are such a pussy they can’t handle it. Of course that’s not PC either but at this point I’m really not interested in people’s feelings.

Ed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.