Covid-19 in Oregon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

This is the page I look at daily to see how Oregon is doing with Covid-19.

https://govstatus.egov.com/OR-OHA-COVID-19

So far, we are doing pretty well – especially Multnomah County, the most populated county in Oregon, with only 33 cases so far (and 1,371 tested negative). But we will surely see a surge of cases in the next couple of weeks.

The hard thing to grasp with these pandemics is that the disease cases we see today are a result of behavior from 3-6 weeks ago. So all of the social distancing we started doing 1-2 weeks ago isn’t going to show up as a trend in cases for another 4-6 weeks most likely. It may be unnerving in the next week or two to see a surge in new cases, but that’s all from what people were doing (or not doing) a few weeks back, not what we’ve been doing recently.

It still freaks me out that US airports are still operating normally, apparently without any screening! Why on earth are flights from China and Europe shut down, but any infected New Yorker – the epicenter of the US pandemic – can get on a plane and fly directly to Portland, without the slightest bit of screening??? It’s nuts!!! That’s how these things are poorly contained.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Here is some more data.

“Facing Pressure, the Oregon Health Authority Releases More Detailed Data About the COVID-19 Outbreak”

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/03/25/facing-pressure-the-oregon-health-authority-releases-more-detailed-data-about-the-covid-19-outbreak/

Andrew
    Participant

I’m wondering when it will be possible for anyone who wants a test to get tested. Yes, I understand that won’t be this week, probably not next week. Health care providers should be first in line. But I think one way we can return to semi-normalcy will be with ubiquitous, on-demand testing, even for people without symptoms or known exposure. Unfortunately, because DumbShit in the White House has fumbled this whole thing so terribly, every state has to freelance on this. Oregon already seems to be doing a decent job testing people – there have been a huge number of negative tests already, so clearly not just people with obvious Covid symptoms are being tested.

One thing I’m also looking for – not just in Oregon – will be blood tests for people in communities to ascertain how many people have already had the virus. How close are we to “herd immunity?” We probably still have a long way to go, but because of the way this virus can infect people without symptoms, many more people than believed may have already been infected by now. The more people who have been infected but no longer have symptoms, the sooner we can get back to normal. Probably not by Easter. But hopefully before Easter 2021…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.