Cory Wells dies at 74

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

This belongs on the radio side.

“The radio is blastin’, someone’s knockin’ on the door/I’m lookin’ at my girlfriend, she’s passed out on the floor/I seen so many things I ain’t never seen before”

Cory Wells, one of the three lead singers in Three Dog Night, a signature pop band of the late 1960s and ’70s, died on Tuesday in Dunkirk, N.Y., on Lake Erie. He was 74.
    At one point in the early 1970s, Three Dog Night was perhaps the most popular band in the United States. The group had three No. 1 singles — “Mama Told Me (Not to Come),” “Joy to the World” and “Black and White” — and seven other Top 10 hits, Including “One,” “An Old Fashioned Love Song” and “Never Been to Spain.” “Joy to the World” was Billboard’s No. 1 song of the year in 1971.

The band also had 12 gold albums. Three Dog Night was known for spotlighting then little-known or rising songwriters, including Randy Newman (“Mama Told Me”), Harry Nilsson (“One”), Laura Nyro (“Eli’s Coming”), Hoyt Axton (“Joy to the World”) and Leo Sayer (“The Show Must Go On”).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/arts/music/cory-wells-singer-with-three-dog-night-dies-at-74.html
    R.I.P. One is the loneliest number.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

One of my favorite pop bands from the 70s.

I love this live version of Eli’s Coming.

radiodork
    Spectator

I always thought the lead singer was black (for some reason) He had a lot of soul in his voice. Almost a bit of a motown vibe layered with guitars.

skeptical
    Participant

Heh, I only saw them 3 times, twice at the MC. 🙂

Historical trivia: KISN had Joy To The World at #1 for 1971 while across town at KGW, it was Indian Reservation by Paul Revere and the Raiders!

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Love both those songs and bands. But I would give the nod to Joy to the World as the bigger hit. Not dissin’ Indian Reservation, great song with an important message.

paulwalker
    Participant

Grew up with Three Dog Night, and always appreciated their music. When I worked at KING-AM in Seattle I remember meeting Chuck Negron in the early 80’s, well past the band’s prime. He was, well, less than pleasant. Don’t recall meeting Cory.

One of my favorites from the band was “Out In The Country” (1970), not their biggest hit, but certainly was environmentally important, whether the band promoted this or not. Great melody and an important lyrical imprint for its time.

skeptical
    Participant

Another minor 3DN song somewhat related to the themes Paul was talking about: Family of Man, written by Paul Williams:

This tired city was somebody’s dream
    Billboard horizons as black as they seem
    Four level highways across the land
    We’re building a home for the family of man

One man to lead us with so much to say
    Moving the mountains that got in our way
    Prayer books and meetings to find a plan
    Deciding the fate of the family of man
    And it’s so hard
    Whatever are we coming to
    Yes it’s so hard
    With so little time and so much to do
    Mem’ries replacing the loves that we’ve lost
    Burning our bridges as soon as they’re crossed
    Factories built where the rivers ran
    And time running out for the family of man

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.