Coronavirus Corporate Deathwatch

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Powell’s will be one of the first to go under. Many more to come. Sad!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Powell’s is already calling back workers to deal with the huge uptick in on line orders. I doubt it will be them.

edselehr
    Participant

This is important: When you can, how you can, BUY LOCAL. Amazon doesn’t need you money right now, but businesses such as Powell’s do.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

“The Hardest Hit Companies of the COVID-19 Downturn: The ‘BEACH’ Stocks”

The Hardest Hit Companies of the COVID-19 Downturn: The ‘BEACH’ Stocks

Deane Johnson
    Participant

That graphic you posted is scary when you look at the many companies that are seriously affected by the virus. A number of these will not survive. Not a pretty picture.

I can understand why Trump is so gung-ho to get people out and spending again, but the fact of the matter is that if releasing people prematurely happens, the situation will get so much worse than it would with restraint moving forward.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

This is important: When you can, how you can, BUY LOCAL. Amazon doesn’t need you money right now, but businesses such as Powell’s do.

The ironic thing is, for some of us Powell’s is out of state, and buying from Amazon effectively IS the equivalent of local! That’s assuming you’re actually buying FROM Amazon, not from a third-party vendor.

The material item may be shipping from out of state but if you’re a Washingtonian and you’re buying from Amazon the money is still in Washington’s economy. How much of a Vancouverite’s purchase from Powell’s goes into Washington State’s economy? I’d guess just slightly less than zip.

I suppose you’ll flame and shame me like you usually do for my being the one to point it out, but that’s your issue, not mine. Deal with it.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Sorry you live in Vantucky.

edselehr
    Participant

“…businesses such as Powell’s…”

I’ll just say that you didn’t fully read my post. Never said you had to buy at Powell’s; just buy local (whatever local is for you) however you can.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Powells sells a ton of books through everyone.

I doubt they are in trouble. Could shutter the store, and may, and sell from the huge stock they have.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yeah, we are doing local. Same basic reasons.

I, frankly, rarely use Amazon. Usually, I just don’t need it, and if I do, I get used, or fix it, whatever.

Vitalogy
    Participant
    missing_kskd
    Participant

Good, I hope they make it through. I love Powells, and it’s known world wide.

Best book buying experience there is.

I wish I had gone a few weeks back when I wanted to. Will be a while now.

Andy Brown
    Participant
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Good for them. Problem is this will be a longer term struggle. I don’t see a path forward for any business that can’t endure a short term disruption.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.