Copycat murder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Listener_Pete
    Participant

I seems to me the murder of the TV journalist and her camera man on live TV puts other journalists in danger from a copycat killer.
    I think it would be especially enticing knowing there would be people at home watching it. If they thought it was only a ‘tapping’ for a later broadcast, I don’t think they would bother. They could have a handheld device watching local TV which would make the timing deadly accurate.

I wonder if the TV stations have updated their proceedures.

Scary

Alfredo_T
    Participant

From the news reports that I have heard, Vester Flanagan was specifically going after cameraman Adam Ward because he believed that Ward had filed a complaint to the station’s HR department that resulted in his termination. Alison Parker and the Chamber of Commerce executive director who was being interviewed just happened to get in the way. Parker, in fact, was not yet employed at WDJB when Flanagan worked there.

I have heard some broadcast people (perhaps, it was Mark & Dave on KPAM) state that they are worried that news reporting can be dangerous in this way due to the lack of security at reporting scenes. However, I think that a “copycat” killer would more likely be someone who has a personal gripe against a member of the news team or a disgruntled former employee than it would be a random crazy person with a desire to commit a very public act of violence.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

I disagree, it’s the idea of being on TV that some nut case will focus on. He doesn’t need to be a disgruntled employee just sick..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.