Cool AM\'s Back In The Day!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dxer1969
    Participant

Used to travel around. Loved AM radio back then!

Seattle had 950 KJR & 1090 KING. Took a tour of KING. Dan Foley was midday talent.

Reno: 1230 KCBN. Cool ass station!

Vegas: 1460 KENO. Kind of AC/Top 40, best on AM in Vegas in 75.

LA: 640 KFI nice AC station. Very powerful. Heard them in in Vegas, Hawaii, Vail, Co, Van, BC. Wow!!

930 KHJ the ultimate top 40 station! And 1150. Another good top 40 station.

Sacramento: Well, first off, 610 KFRC came in like gangbusters! Very popular! 1240 KROY. Great fast paced station! And 1470 KNDE. Cool bubblegum/rock oriented station.

Others: 1420 KUJ Walla Walla. 580 KFXD Boise. 1490 KLOG Kelso. And last, but not least. KYJC 1230 in Medford! Awesome station! Lurch and Tony K were nice enough to let me sit in with them in 84. Great experience!!

semoochie
    Participant

Dan Foley did nights at KGW before going to Seattle. A little later than your timeframe, KFI was the last successful LA AM Top 40 before everything went to FM.

Dxer1969
    Participant

The KING tour happened in summer of 1979. Dan was working when I there. Played Let,s Go. Devil went down to GA. Chickie,s in love, and ELO Don’t bring me down.
    Don’t know if middays was Dan Foley shift or not, but he was the talent behind the Mike. 2nd floor. Looked like building was under construction.

Dxer1969
    Participant

KFI! Yes, for awhile in the early 80’s, they were quite good! Surprised they didn’t last longer, considering the huge powerhouse that they were! KFRC lasted til 86. KGW til 89! A testament actually! Now LA AM totally sux ass, except for KNX,but for totally different reasons, of course. At least, we in PDX have 1450 & 1550 left.

Dxer1969
    Participant

At anyone? What is considered to be the most powerful “K” station? Meaning, KFI? KSL? KOA? KNX? In your opinions, which is the champ?

Dxer1969
    Participant

Oh, forgot. 680 KNBR! How foolish of me.

Dxer1969
    Participant

And the used to be great, KGO. Man, I miss them. They were once an awesome station, even up here. (If only 800 stayed daytime) Could receive them like a local station before then. KGO? They are a most powerful north/south station, pretty good west, but not very powerful to the east? Why is that radio experts? Kind of stumps me, to be honest.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Ok. KNX 1070. You heard me mention them often. Why? They were awesome! Even as an adolescent boy, I could appreciate KNX! The teletypes in the background! The alerts before a major news story! Used to listen to them at length. Hell, they were so dynamic! Listened to 740 KCBS too. Not as good as KNX though. I was not just a Top 40 nerd.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Hope I don’t get in trouble, but a station does not have to play music to be “cool”. KNX, KGO, and KEX are not the stations they used to be. I listened to them for educational means as a younger person. Now, even they have gone way down hill. Not going to mention many others who have completely bit the dust, musically, or otherwise. Andy was dead on. Radio received a stake through its heart in 1996. 1999 was the final death knoll for the most part. Just took a bit longer for us is all.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Other notable cool AM’s from the 70’s:

KBZY 1490 in Salem. KBDF 1280 in Eugene. Saw them too. Cool station. Spring 1979. KZEL shared the building too.
    KASH in Eugene. Power pop music in late 70’s up to 1980.

KITI 1420 in Chehalis. An island between the Big dawgs! Always liked them!

Lastly, the late great KSXO 600 in Redding, CA. Damn, they were awesome! Hung out there several times! 81 to 86.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.