Conway: "Audit was just an excuse"

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

I wouldn’t be shocked if he serves eight years, Brian. As you know, incumbents are usually re-elected. The last three incumbents to lose – Bush I, Carter, Herbert Hoover – all lost when the economy was awful. When the economy is OK or good, the president is re-elected. Bush II narrowly won re-election in 2004 despite the catastrophe of the Iraq War (which was still hadn’t become awful yet) – but the economy had picked up.

Incumbency incurs great advantages to a sitting president.

Sure – lots of things could happen. He could be horribly unpopular by 2020 despite a decent economy and the Dems come up with a great candidate. Or the economy tanks and he gets voted out. Or he does something truly nutty and is impeached. But I make no predictions.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I find the tax returns to be a very important issue. There’s so much to learn from reviewing someone’s returns. We know how much income you “earn”, how much tax you pay, how much you give to charity. I think we all know that Trump doesn’t make as much as he boasts about, he pays no taxes, and doesn’t give much to charity, BUT, his return will also detail all of his partnerships and businesses associated with him. That’s the can of worms he’s really worried about. Nobody knows what his business interests really are.

edselehr
    Participant

Kellyanne got caught telling the truth yesterday, and the Trump White House could not allow such behavior to stand. Hence today’s retreat to deceit.

paulwalker
    Participant

Errant messages from Spicer, Kelly Ann calling her boss out… these are the highest Trump staffers. And only 3 days in. Hmm. Love to be a bug on the wall in the WH.

Brianl
    Participant

That impeachment piece is what I am alluding to, Andrew. Trump is a loose cannon with very little support amongst GOP circles; I just don’t know if he can avoid doing something that gets him impeached and voted out.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Correct, Ed.

They’re lying. Again.

They clearly have no intent of providing that tax information. Or at least not willingly. They’ve been lying about it for a year and a half. As the head of the IRS has said more than once, there’s no reason at all that information cannot be released. It’s certainly not because of an audit.

It would likely be game over it they did. Even the larger GOP would be forced to do something if what is largely suspected to be true ends up coming to light.

The Ministry of Truth is fooling themselves if they think this issue is going away.

Andrew
    Participant

We’ll see, Brian! But I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Impeachment is a political act, not a legal act, and I doubt Republicans would impeach a Republican president unless he had committed some truly horrendous act – or if he isn’t signing the bills they want for big tax cuts, etc.

If he’s signing their bills, they just won’t care what he does, most likely.

duxrule
    Participant

The word out this morning is that Wikileaks plans to go after the tax returns.

edselehr
    Participant

Wonder why they didn’t consider his tax returns worthy of their efforts before?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

It’s an interesting question.

I’m conflicted about that organization in a number of ways.

It would be far preferable for the country to have the President, as all Presidents have done until this one, simply be transparent with the tax records and put the matter to rest.

As it stands, it looks bad, it smells bad, and it will be a continuing cloud hanging over their heads.

Langston
    Participant

Dear Leader should have no problem releasing his 2016 tax return on April 15 as it is not under audit.

edselehr
    Participant

I’m still amazed that anyone took seriously his promise to reveal his returns after his audit. If he wasn’t going to share them during the election, what earthly reason would he have to share them after, whether he won or not?

But there is a glimmer of hope. Multiple lawsuits are being filed regarding his possible (read: probable) violations of the Constitutional emoluments clause and other ethical conflict of interest statutes. If accepted by the court, it is likely that his tax returns could be subpoenaed as evidence.

I’m beginning to believe that Trump would resign before being forced to share his tax returns. As sensitive as he is to being perceived as anything less than a “winner!”, I think his tax returns will prove he is anything but.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

The tax records would likely prove what we already know, namely that he’s a liar of galactic proportions, but in ways that would even force Republicans to act.

Andy Brown
    Participant

If drumpf’s taxes go public, what would ensue is the total loss of agenda focus and controlled pandemonium. Like Watergate.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.