Conservative Representative: “I Would Support Any Democrat Over Trump

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Conservative Representative: “I Would Support Any Democrat Over Trump

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Trump is no Republican and neither are most that call themselves Republican. Reagan would be rolling over in his grave. Neither Bush supported Trump. Trump is Trump. He would love to be a clone of Putin, a dictator. I am hoping the country is smart enough not to fall for hid lies. He is the most crooked President in my lifetime and that includes Nixon. At least he was presidential. Trump doesn’t even know the meaning of the word.

radiogeek
    Participant

“BTW, I hardly think that when the President appoints an AG, the lawyers and staff are changed to the same party. There’s no reason to think the lawyers were necessarily GOP.”

On a related note, while Trump was firing Comey, I was at a sporting event with two folks I know. One works for the US Attorney’s office, and another is an agent for the FBI. I asked how the turmoil was affecting their work. Both essentially replied they were keeping their heads down, trying to ignore the craziness, and their office intended to carry on and get their work done. Neither seemed at the time very enthusiastic about the chaos in DC, although I wouldn’t describe either person as “liberals”.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by radiogeek.
    semoochie
    Participant

Nixon loved his family and was proud of them. He didn’t verbally attack teenage girls in the press, whose only crime was going around the world, trying to make it a better place! He didn’t phone the widow and mother of a fallen soldier and call them liars! It didn’t take him three days to say that nazis are bad, when a beauty contestant nailed it in fewer than 20 seconds, not knowing the question was going to be asked! These are just a few of the vile things that this president has done in plain sight that should appall everyone and would have, in another time and these are just the legal ones! Need I go on?

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Deane-
    What has changed for me since Trump got into office is the attitude of, “I don’t care what he does.” I see and hear it all the time. I will agree that DC needs to be shaken up, but for my money, Trump is the wrong president to do so.

What is gutless to me is the GOP hiding their heads in the sand. Trump is a vengeful person and not given to subtle nuance of diplomacy. “My way or the highway,” may sound strong and commanding…but it’s a stupid and dangerous way to govern. IMHO.

Now if any GOP or conservative speaks out against Trump they become bigger targets for challenging the “King.” Trump and the GOP have brought this upon themselves. It was years in the making. As its been written and talked about, Trump just didn’t show up. Early GOP members thought Trump was a joke, a dangerous joke, and now they suck up to him. Is that what you mean by, “Shaking things up?”

I’m not sure what the fallout will be once Trump is out of office, but I will say, this is going to come back and bite us somehow, someway.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Totally correct. I remember the time he left the White House without security to talk with some students and asked them why they were protesting? Nixon had his issues. That is for sure, but he still had decent qualities, which this man doesn’t.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

As usual, Chris, you offer an intelligent post.

Yes, I understand why there are many that are genuinely alarmed at his approach. Remember, a lot of the Democrats expressing indignation and “fear” are only worrying about the next election more than anything else. And CNN is only raving on 24/7 as Zucker’s personal PA system to reflect his personal political views.

In the corporate world where I spent a lot of years, I developed a working philosophy that if it’s broken and in bad need of fixing, blow it up and put it back together the way you want it. (“Blow it up” isn’t an explosives term, BTW.).

That’s what I see Trump doing. I’m willing to accept the damage and debris in exchange for 8 years of exposing the mess and the ill conceived “solutions” to problems.

Historically, look at what’s been done with Iran and N. Korea, as a for instance. His predecessors have given them what they asked for and they gave us the finger after they got it. Well, we’ve got a middle finger also and Trump isn’t afraid to use it.

While I haven’t posted for several years until this thread, I read most of the posts. I don’t respond because I realize a number of the posters, but not all, live in a simplistic world and they’re just repeating their opions they’ve formed from what they’ve heard on the street corner or from CNN.

Yes, Trump is by nature a fighter and a guy who intends not to lose. Sort of a don’t bother me with rules, get out of my way. I don’t have a problem with that. I’ll take that over an inexperience weakling like Obama or Jimmy Carter any day. The United States will survive just fine.

Another thing to remember is that he’s doing many of those things just to deliberately rile the opposition. His supporters love it. And, every time he does something either Polosi or Schumer call for another investigation. You think he’s not doing some of what he does just to trigger their reaction.

The liberals who get all excited and tense aren’t his supporters anyway, so what does he have to lose.

Jeez, the length of this post is getting to look like one of my friend Missing’s. I’d better cool it.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Come on. Trump is a liar, a cheat and a bully, and seriously deficient human being.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Deane-
    Blowing it up. Well, he’s been doing a good job at that. But how is winning really helping? In Trump’s world it’s all about winners. How do you think the losers (i.e.,the marginalized) feel, when once again they’re looking up only to see a long tunnel of heartache and struggle? And how does one like be labeled a loser for things that are out of their control?

Has politics so lowered itself that winning is more important than governing?

When you blow things up you better have a strategic plan for the debris field because those are actual human beings being affected.

And he is, figuratively, getting away with shooting people and not being held accountable.

When I’ve been held accountable, which can really suck and hurt, hopefully, it’s by people who care enough about me that they want the best from me and know I can do it. Since Trump lacks any kind of compassion towards anybody, he’s lowered the bar so low as what our future president’s should strive for. I shudder to think of what my kids and future grandkids will be dealing with as part of Trump’s debris field.

Simply put, we can and need to do better. I want a president that has strong leadership…not winners or losers. That’s dualistic thinking at its worst.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Chris, that’s an interesting view you post, but IMO, it doesn’t work in today’s political climate.

D.C. politics are not for the faint of heart. It’s a world of eat, or be eaten. It’s a world of nice guys finish last.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I wasn’t trying to live in a make-believe world. I recognize what our politics have become. Moving forward it will be like a civil war in some respects…However, there were some pretty feisty battles in our governments history where those in congress were, quite literally, at each other’s throats and a gun duel, as well.

Trump shows me every day the gutter that is now on full display.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I don’t think he does gun duels. Too slow at his age.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Re: Tricky Dick

Nixon understood foreign policy and international relations. drumpf has no fucking clue beyond his hard on to get that hotel in Moscow.

Re: Stone’s sentence

drumpf’s ball lickers (the GOP Senate) have already thrown out the notion that there will be respect for jurisprudence on drumpf’s watch. It should not come as a surprise that the DOJ want drumpf’s clansmen to be above the law like he is.

Re: being held accountable

The voters will see that he is rejected for another term. Sure, the midwest and south are full of two kinds of voters: idiots (as a result of GOP refusing to fund education in those states, a long time problem) and people worried about their financial assets. As long as drumpf doesn’t hurt their bottom line, they’ll take his tax breaks and alter their driving route so they don’t have to go past the lines of people sleeping on the sidewalk, clogging the E.R.s and begging at the freeway entrances.

drumpf, even with Russian help, will not be able to duplicate the narrow electoral victory he won in ’16. The states that put him over the line back then are almost all (Wisconsin excluded) polling bluer than the sky on a sunny day. Add to that the fact that he hasn’t grown his base (or done anything to achieve expanding it beyond the stupid and the rich) which is reflected in his never topping 50% approval.

Re: Iowa and N.H.

A lot of voters DO NOT CARE who wins the Democratic nomination, they will come out and support said candidate.

The big surprise for the old guard voters is this: The largest block of voters is now the millennials. That’s why Bernie does well in the white states. He won’t do as well when you throw Latinos and Blacks into the mix. After Super Tuesday we’ll all know where the candidates really stand.

Re: why drumpf will lose

I wish I could say it is his attitude towards normal folk. It isn’t. He’s going to become a loser because his aberrant foreign policy is going to cause economic stress. Statistically, we’re due for a recession AND everything that drumpf has done on the economy will make it worse. “his tariffs are causing American farmers real pain, and the fact that his decisions about when to implement them are based on nothing but his whims understandably leaves businesses wary. Given that raising tariffs is one of the few economic policy actions in which he seems to genuinely take a personal interest, and that he is terminally incapable of admitting a mistake and reversing course because it would undermine his “brilliant businessman” shtick, there’s little reason to believe he will stop punching his own economy in the nose.

Meanwhile, when it comes to recession planning, his team is openly not doing anything. Instead, Trump’s main plan to combat a downturn is to continue criticizing the Federal Reserve, America’s central bank, for not doing more to juice the economy. Though there is a case to be made that the Fed hiked interest rates too fast in recent years, and was too slow to lower them again.” https://nbcnews.to/2OOWx7w

Re: drumpf’s failures

1. Trump promised to bring down America’s trade deficit “as fast as possible.” Instead, the trade deficit has hit an all-time high.

2. As a presidential candidate in 2016, he said he could completely eliminate the federal debt in eight years. Instead, the federal debt has exploded thanks to Trump and the GOP’s $1.9 trillion tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations. They’re already using the growing debt to threaten cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. (see his DOA budget for proof)

3. He promised to boost the wages of American workers, including a $4,000 pay raise for the average American family. Instead, wages for most Americans have been flat, adjusted for inflation. Meanwhile, over the same period, corporate profits have soared and the rich have become far richer, but the gains haven’t trickled down.

4. His administration said that corporations would invest their savings from tax cuts. Instead, corporations spent more money buying back shares of their own stock in 2018 than they invested in new equipment or facilities. These stock buybacks provide no real benefit for the economy, but boost executive bonuses and payouts for wealthy investors.

5. He promised a tax cut for middle-class families. Instead most Americans will end up paying more by 2027.

6. He promised to keep jobs in America and crack down on companies that ship jobs overseas. Instead, his tax law has created financial incentives for corporations to expand their operations abroad. Trump’s trade wars have also encouraged companies like Harley Davidson to move production overseas.

7. He promised to “drain the swamp” of Washington lobbyists. Instead, he’s put them in charge of health, safety, and environmental protections—which has endangered most Americans while increasing corporate profits even further. https://bit.ly/2OP9Yod

But voters like our esteemed wealthy Mr. Johnson are OK with all that until the shit hits their personal fan. Wait, you’ll see.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I agree with much of what has been said but there are some glaring omissions including:

Re: Nixon

Nixon understood foreign policy and international relations. drumpf has no fucking clue beyond his hard on to get that hotel in Moscow.

Re: Stone’s sentence

drumpf’s ball lickers (the GOP Senate) have already thrown out the notion that their will be respect for jurisprudence on drumpf’s watch. It should not come as a surprise that the DOJ want drumpf’s clansmen to be above the law like he is.

Re: being held accountable

The voters will see that he is rejected for another term. Sure, the midwest and south are full of two kinds of voters: idiots (as a result of GOP refusing to fund education in those states, a long time problem) and people worried about their financial assets. As long as drumpf doesn’t hurt their bottom line, they’ll take his tax breaks and alter their driving route so they don’t have to go past the lines of people sleeping on the sidewalk, clogging the E.R.s and begging at the freeway entrances.

drumpf, even with Russian help, will not be able to duplicate the narrow electoral victory he won in ’16. The states that put him over the line back then are almost all (Wisconsin excluded) polling bluer than the sky on a sunny day. Add to that the fact that he hasn’t grown his base (or done anything to achieve expanding it beyond the stupid and the rich) which is reflected in his never topping 50% approval.

Re: Iowa and N.H.

A lot of voters DO NOT CARE who wins the Democratic nomination, they will come out and support said candidate.

The big surprise for the old guard voters is this: The largest block of voters is now the millennials. That’s why Bernie does well in the white states. He won’t do as well when you throw Latinos and Blacks into the mix. After Super Tuesday we’ll all know where the candidates really stand.

Re: why drumpf will lose

I wish I could say it is his attitude towards normal folk. It isn’t. He’s going to become a loser because his aberrant foreign policy is going to cause economic stress. Statistically, we’re due for a recession AND everything that drumpf has done on the economy will make it worse. “his tariffs are causing American farmers real pain, and the fact that his decisions about when to implement them are based on nothing but his whims understandably leaves businesses wary. Given that raising tariffs is one of the few economic policy actions in which he seems to genuinely take a personal interest, and that he is terminally incapable of admitting a mistake and reversing course because it would undermine his “brilliant businessman” shtick, there’s little reason to believe he will stop punching his own economy in the nose.

Meanwhile, when it comes to recession planning, his team is openly not doing anything. Instead, Trump’s main plan to combat a downturn is to continue criticizing the Federal Reserve, America’s central bank, for not doing more to juice the economy. Though there is a case to be made that the Fed hiked interest rates too fast in recent years, and was too slow to lower them again.” https://nbcnews.to/2OOWx7w

Re: drumpf’s failures

1. Trump promised to bring down America’s trade deficit “as fast as possible.” Instead, the trade deficit has hit an all-time high.

2. As a presidential candidate in 2016, he said he could completely eliminate the federal debt in eight years. Instead, the federal debt has exploded thanks to Trump and the GOP’s $1.9 trillion tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations. They’re already using the growing debt to threaten cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. (see his DOA budget for proof)

3. He promised to boost the wages of American workers, including a $4,000 pay raise for the average American family. Instead, wages for most Americans have been flat, adjusted for inflation. Meanwhile, over the same period, corporate profits have soared and the rich have become far richer, but the gains haven’t trickled down.

4. His administration said that corporations would invest their savings from tax cuts. Instead, corporations spent more money buying back shares of their own stock in 2018 than they invested in new equipment or facilities. These stock buybacks provide no real benefit for the economy, but boost executive bonuses and payouts for wealthy investors.

5. He promised a tax cut for middle-class families. Instead most Americans will end up paying more by 2027.

6. He promised to keep jobs in America and crack down on companies that ship jobs overseas. Instead, his tax law has created financial incentives for corporations to expand their operations abroad. Trump’s trade wars have also encouraged companies like Harley Davidson to move production overseas.

7. He promised to “drain the swamp” of Washington lobbyists. Instead, he’s put them in charge of health, safety, and environmental protections—which has endangered most Americans while increasing corporate profits even further. https://bit.ly/2OP9Yod

But voters like our esteemed wealthy Mr. Johnson are OK with all that until the shit hits their personal fan. Wait, you’ll see.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Andrew, I smell some cut and paste.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Two out of 8 paragraphs and 7 facts. I gave the source links. This boils down to facts. Want to talk about the facts, Deane, or not?

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Andy Brown.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.