Conservative Columnist: drumpf WPE

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Max A. Boot is a Pulitzer Prize winning American author, consultant, editorialist, lecturer, and military historian. He worked as a writer and editor for Christian Science Monitor and then for The Wall Street Journal in the 1990s. I am not a regular reader of his offerings, but he sure got this one correctly.

“he’s a miserable failure, because the coronavirus is the most foreseeable catastrophe in U.S. history. The warnings about the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 attacks were obvious only in retrospect. This time, it didn’t require any top-secret intelligence to see what was coming. The alarm was sounded in January by experts in the media and by leading Democrats including presumptive presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Government officials were delivering similar warnings directly to Trump. A team of Post reporters wrote on Saturday: “The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus —the first of many—in the President’s Daily Brief.” But Trump wasn’t listening.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/05/worst-president-ever/

This goes to what I’ve been saying in the other post to missing. The Republican party, what’s left of it, anyway, is complicit in drumpf’s failure. Many, many, many decent Conservative Republicans have left the party because of drumpf and it didn’t just happen recently. What the current crisis has done, though, is cement the fact in place that drumpf is a horrible President and a worse human being. Those politicians that are clinging to the empty carcass of the Republican Party of old deserve to go down with the ship on election day, what will be shown is that not only almost all of the Democrats coming out to vote to get rid of drumpf, but also that the throngs joining them will be full of Republicans that formally or informally renounced their affiliation and the Independents and non affiliated voters who are fed up with what’s going on.

It’s a short op ed and it clearly shows the donald to be worse than James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, Warren Harding.

I think in the post drumpf years it will be shown not only was the donald the WPE, but also that he is a bigger crook than Nixon. Almost every position he takes is about making money for himself and his inner circle. Hunter S. Thompson wrote of Nixon:

“Let there be no mistake in the history books about that. Richard Nixon was an evil man — evil in a way that only those who believe in the physical reality of the Devil can understand it. He was utterly without ethics or morals or any bedrock sense of decency. Nobody trusted him — except maybe the Stalinist Chinese, and honest historians will remember him mainly as a rat who kept scrambling to get back on the ship.”

<Rolling Stone on June 16, 1994>

When the history of the these times is written, Donald Trump will get raked over the coals even worse. I don’t know who will write the words, but they will be written. Sorry Herb, didn’t mean to drag you into this, but there’s no defense for drumpf on his handling of this crisis. His own narcissistic ego brought us to this precipice. I’d like to think that even Nixon would have seen this crisis as an opportunity for political gain and done the right things. Can you offer an explanation as to why the donald was so reluctant to see this current issue for what it is, resulting in the deaths of many fellow Americans of every political stripe?

Andrew
    Participant

Unfortunately, I don’t think these conservative columnists represent the core of the Republican party; they are elite outliers, as they were in 2016 when they opposed Trump then also. Their opposition didn’t mean much then and probably means less now, given how Trump has truly co-opted this party. He’s still really popular among the base.

What really matters is how independent swing voters feel about Trump come November – and how the Democratic base feels about him. Anger is a big motivating factor in elections. I’m not sure Trump will win or lose, but another wave election like 2008, sweeping out the Republican Senate along with Trump, is certainly not hard to imagine.

lastday
    Participant

George Will doesn’t like Trump. Unfortunately Trump’s base couldn’t care less what George Will thinks, if they even read him which I’m sure they don’t.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Andrew is correct in that these voices on the right are outliers. The GOP is 100% the party of Trump.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

This is a long, heavy read, but it does outline the complete failure of Trump on many fronts that Andy brings up.

Will it be enough to oust him in Nov.? I’m not sure and won’t predict anything.

But I believe Trump is evil, and many of his hardcore supporters in the White House are evil, there’s just no getting around that for me.

In his nationwide 1983 best seller, People of the Lie, Dr. M. Scott Peck, defines one aspect of evil this way…”I have learned nothing in my twenty years that would suggest that evil people can be rapidly influenced by any short run, to either gentle kindness or any form of spiritual persuasion with which I am familiar.” He goes on, “Lies confuse. The evil are ‘the people of the lie,’ deceiving others as they also build layer upon layer of self-deception.”

Vitalogy
    Participant

Evil is spot on. It’s not anything else.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Fortunately, drumpf’s attempt to turn the whole affair into an afternoon reality soap opera with “briefings” has failed causing his approval ratings to sink.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/08/trump-approval-ratings-coronavirus-176105

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.