Columbia Gorge Radio Happenings

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

https://www.goldendalesentinel.com/story/2019/10/30/news/gorge-radio-stations-hit-with-ransomware/12353.html

From the Goldendale Sentinel of 30 October.

Bicoastal, a group of radio stations licensed in The Dalles, first reported on its Facebook page that its operations had come to a standstill after its computers reported being held ransom, with the hackers demanding Bitcoin payment before they would release the stations’ computers.

“As many of you have already noted, since Tuesday morning programming on all five of our Bicoastal stations has been disrupted,” the company stated on its Facebook page. “Early Tuesday morning our computer systems were the victim of a ransomware attack, locking them up and not allowing us to continue with our regular local programming.” All five of its stations were affected, though Bicoastal said some music was continuing. Bicoastal’s streaming services were also disrupted.”

(Story continues…)

Bicoastal runs KACI AM (1300 / 103.9), KACI FM (93.5), KMSW (92.7 / 102.9), KCGB (96.9 / 105.5), KIHR (1340 / 98.3) in the Hood River and The Dalles area.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by chessyduck.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by chessyduck.
    Seguedad
    Participant

Semi-retired as News Director for Gorge Country Media The Dalles/Goldendale. Worked radio and newspaper in The Dalles and Hood River since 1966.

Not quite old enough to remember much about Don McNeill’s Breakfast Club but am sentimental about vintage radio.

So – ended up with a copy of a book called “Don McNeill’s Favorite Poems” with a lot of patriotic and inspirational poetry. I’d like to pass it on to someone in the industry who would appreciate it.

First person to email me (footydad55@yahoo.com) with a request and an address to send it to gets it free.

chessyduck
    Participant

Better late than never. Following is a short story with photo about KJYV, the Gorge’s relatively new public radio station. KJYV is a non-comm C3 on 101.5 MHz with 175 watts ERP but a nice HAAT compensating. No webstream but some shows appear at jiveradio.org

==============

https://www.thedalleschronicle.com/free_news/jive-radio-goes-on-air-in-the-gorge/article_a3a06bf2-1de0-11ea-bbf5-9bbd814a12be.html

‘Jive Radio’ goes on air in the Gorge
    By Gabriel Brovo
    The Dalles Chronicle Dec 13, 2019

his past summer, Jive Radio (KJYV-FM 101.5) went on air for the first time in the Columbia River Gorge. Formerly known as KDOA, Jive Radio is a non-profit station that plays jazz, zydeco and blues co-owned by Jeff Cotton, director of Open Sky Radio, and Steve Curly, a local radio personality.

Jive is part of Open Sky Radio, which owns other stations around the western United States such as KJIV 96.5 in Madras, KWNK 97.7 in Reno, Nev. and KDUP 88.1 Cedarville, Calif.

Cotton and Curly acquired the station from the previous company which was downsizing.

“I heard about the availability of the license. The same people we acquired the Madras license from had this license and that non-profit was shrinking,” Cotton said. “It sort of made sense to us since we had Madras, which we just put on the air, and we knew (Curly) from his radio show. He lost his gig at a second radio station after a lot of years. So, the pieces sort of just fit together.”

While other stations play rock, country and today’s hits, Jive Radio plays different, unconventional music that isn’t typically played over the airwaves.

“We’re just serving up Jive. Jive is for music lovers. We are decidedly eclectic, we use a term called ‘schizoclectic,’ we’re all over the map musically,” Cotton said. “Most of the other radio stations are commercial stations so they’re doing the mainstream commercial thing. We’re just trying to do what we do. We’re not trying to displace anybody.”

Curly is not only co-owner of the station, he has his own show as well. Squrl’s Blues Revue is on Fridays from 8 p.m. to midnight and plays artists like Kenny Blue Ray, Jimmy Johnson and Eric Bibb.

Stemming from his Friday show, Curly also organizes shows featuring blues bands which benefit charity. His latest show was Nov. 15 and featured Rick Estrin and the Nightcats.

This show benefited the Hood River Education Fund.

“There were close to a couple of hundred, I’d say,” Curly said. “We raised $1,650 for the education fund. I thought we’d get closer to two grand but $1,650 is better than $1,550.”

For over 30 years Curly has been promoting blues shows in the Gorge. Curly holds a high standard for bands he books.

“People know the caliber of music that I’m bringing to town,” Curly said. “(People) know they’re going to get their money’s worth.”

In his 30s, Curly would book 12-14 shows a year. He’s now slowed down to a few shows a year, primarily as benefits for local charities.

Future shows can be expected featuring more bands from Portland, who will also get air time on the station, Cotton said.

The next big step for Jive Radio is for its signal to reach a larger range.

Currently the station can be heard clearly in The Dalles but has trouble reaching Mosier and especially Hood River.

Mountains prevent the radio signal from traveling any further, said Cotton. The station’s transmitter is located on Stacker Butte.

“From up there you look down river and Hood River is tucked in behind that ridge west of Mosier,” Cotton said. “Terrain shading is the term, and there’s almost nothing you can do about it.”

Two ways that can increase the signal range is by increasing the signal strength and using booster antennas.

“I know our signal is very fuzzy around town. We want the Hood River folks listening as well as The Dalles, Goldendale, Mosier and all the communities,” Cotton said. “We’re still scouting and exploring our options on both fronts. I’m hoping we could get a better signal by this winter. If not, it’ll be right around the corner in the spring.”

######
    (On-line article has photo w/ caption)

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Two ways that can increase the signal range is by increasing the signal strength and using booster antennas.”

Coverage (or lack thereof) from Stacker Butte is hardly a new phenomenon. There can be no class increase meaning no additional power unless you reduce HAAT by moving into the gorge instead of being on top of it. Using booster transmitters is a double edged sword. It can provide coverage where it’s not there but if not done with care it can interfere with the main signal in areas where it is being received O.K., and turning those areas into not O.K. Translators (fill in) are a better choice if an available frequency can be found. Covering both Hood River and The Dalles from one site is probably impossible. Just look at a topographic map. Radio waves from Stacker mostly just shoot over the Gorge, not dive into it. If you use Google Earth and know how to draw a terrain profile, you can see the issues clearly.

Screamer
    Participant

Speaking of Boosters – Are AM’s with translators allowed boosters on FM? Say there is an area the translator is supposed to cover and topography makes it impossible to cover with the translator. Is a FM Booster allowed for that translator?

I apologize, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. I can move this question somewhere else, if I need to.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Screamer.
    chessyduck
    Participant

The term “booster” seems to be reserved for on-channel repeaters of full-power FMs (and now in rare cases some LPFMs, e.g. KXRN-LP in Laguna Niguel, California). It does not seem to apply for AM–>FM cross-service cases. That said, since AM stations don’t feed their FM translators with on-air sources (a crackly AM radio) I would suspect the FM would allow multiple cross-service translators on the same frequency within the limits of the AM-to-FM coverage rule.

Keeping on topic, KODL, AM 1440 in The Dalles in deed has two translators. The first is K256AC high up across The Gorge with just 10 watts on 99.1 while the second one (K263BT) on 100.5 blasts away at 250 watts covering the lower city area.

Probably the most bizarre use of a cross-service FM translator in the Northwest is the KWLE-AM Anacortes relay in Bellingham (101.9). The owner is trying to “rimshot” Punjabi-language programming into lower Frazier River Valley.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.