Coldplay at this year's Superbowl half time show?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Coldplay at this year's Superbowl half time show?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    johnlaw
    Participant

My first reaction – Coldplay,really? Just give the job to Bruno Mars, every year. Like, forever. My dream half time show? Bruno Mars and Kenny Chesney. Who opens? Who closes? Who cares? Oh, and squeeze in Justin Timberlake so he can do: can’t drink you away.

radiodork
    Spectator

LAME! Coldplay sucks!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Well, I will give Bruno this much. He did liven up the joint. Wish the Red hot chili peppers did more songs though! Damn, they were good! Now Coldplay. Hmmm. Don’t know. They ain’t exactly a party band if ya get my drift. They might very well make us drinkers fall asleep in our chairs!

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Ah, RadioDORK. Even when commenting on a matter as inconsequential as the half time musical entertainment at a football game you never fail to find a way to underachieve or meet lowered expectations.

In your opinion, Coldplay sucks.

That’s the only real addendum needed. Pretty simple, pal.

Now, I’m admittedly reaching here, but I always enjoy when others take the time to offer some kind of (preferably citable and fact based) supportive reasoning for their various opinions. Doing so demonstrates some baseline critical thinking abilities and helps prevent your written text from sounding as if it’s written by a child. This applies to matters both significant and not. This clearly being an example of the latter. I, of course, “care” more as a broader example of intelligent discourse as opposed to taking any special umbrage on behalf of the band Coldplay.

As factually and measurably one of the most popular bands in the world, (Album sales, single sales, audience reach, touring metrics, streaming, etc.) they certainly don’t need my defense. Nor does their overarching popularity mean your opinion is “wrong”. Of course, it’s correct as it’s your opinion! But by failing to offer a qualifier, much less a supportive rationale, (even one as simple as “For whatever reason, I just don’t care for their music/sound”) you sound like a dolt.

Maybe you should work on that? Good night and good luck.

Now, metaphorically turning to the rest of the room for a more general address, I always find it interesting at the level of vitriol so many different artists/genres of music seem to generate from certain quarters. And as in the example from Dork, how often such expressions are offered as an utter certitude with no regard to another’s opinion which by definition has equal merit. It could just be the broadcasting professional in me, but I have varied and eclectic music tastes and find very little that I don’t “get” or can’t enjoy in some way.

In no particular order, off the top of my head, here’s a selection of artists songs I’ve listened to (and liked) just in the past couple of days: Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, Pentatonix, Coldplay, Eli Young Band, Luke Bryan, Darius Rucker, Eric Church, Twenty One Pilots, Chris Cornel, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Death Cab for Cutie, Muse, Fallout Boy, One Direction, Drake, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Major Lazer, Adele, Meghan Trainor, James Bay, Alessia Cara, Elle King, Robin Schultz, Calvin Harris, The Weekend, John Denver, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, AC/DC, along with Yo Yo Ma, Andrea Bocelli, Charlotte Church, and composers ranging from Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, and Tchaikovsky to Ravel, Handel, and Rachmaninoff.

Professionally and personally, both broadcast radio and streaming services, I listen to alot of music. ;)~

In my opinion and only very broadly speaking, a lot of the contemporary urban and Hip Hop doesn’t do a whole lot for me. I’m not entirely sure why; to my earlier point it often doesn’t connect or speak to me I suppose. I always find some exceptions, (the new Miguel is pretty good, Post Malone has a cool record at the moment, Majid Jordan’s new record from Drake’s OVO imprint, etc.) but for the most part it’s not a genre a spend a whole lot of time with.

What are YOU listening to and why? 🙂

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I find it interesting that the self-appointed Internet music critics who scathingly attack recognizable bands and musicians do not apply the same methodology to garage bands and karaoke singers. Could it be that these critics are jealous of the fame and wealth of the people that they attack?

Vitalogy
    Participant

Dio.

paulwalker
    Participant

I am not writing this post to defend Coldplay, (although I will mention they are perhaps in the top5 in sales throughout the 2000’s, have won 7 grammys, 4 billboard awards, 5 MTV awards, and have sold well over 75 million units), but I digress.

The idea that whenever a band becomes popular they start to suck is completely lame IMO. The opposite is probably more true. And geez, we were having this same argument at Nathan Hale High School in 1977. Some things never seem to change.

BTW, I like several of their songs and play them routinely on road trips. Viva La Vida would probably have made that list if I had not been forced to play them three times a day from 2008 to 2013 at AC radio!

paulwalker
    Participant

And by “forced”, I need to explain that the AC station that I worked at during these years used a formula that was based on statistics, but I had a say in the decisions, but to their honor, their decisions always came from the the top. And usually were agreed by me.

missing_kskd
    Participant

The idea that whenever a band becomes popular they start to suck is completely lame IMO.

Agreed.

To me, a lot of this boils down to a band falling into a formula of some sort. This definitely appears true for Coldplay, right along with many others, who have not enjoyed the same success. Look at the EDM field, for a LOT of that kind of thing going on, and the same sorts of discussions happening regularly.

But then, a band like AC/DC is well respected for that kind of thing. It’s highly distinctive, yet the source of conflict all at the same time. There is a way they make a tune, and that’s it. People love or hate it, end of story.

Of course, you can’t win. Vary the style some, expand expresison, or explore the art as an accomplished artist and suddenly, there is the same talk related to albums that people may have liked or not.

A friend and I long ago sorted this out to mean a band isn’t really successful and working to potential, until everybody hates at least one song with a passion. 🙂

People don’t know what they want, until they do. And they do when they hear it, whatever “it” may happen to be, then they often want something else. And that’s the hard truth in all of it, IMHO.

That too, does describe Coldplay.

For me, they are “meh”, enjoyable, but not a group I hold any passion for.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yep…exactly right. If they can re-create that pop sound from the early 2000’s, then they will probablyget back in the race. So many refuse to do this. So…we will see….

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Lurking Grendel. I truly appreciate the intellence, thought and effort you put into your posts!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Ok. A unexpected thing happened. The roommates and I got to talking and lo and behold, they actually had 1 single and 2 CD’s between them. The single Clocks, I knew. Not a party song, but OK. Viva LA Vida and Cemeteries of London were OK. Then there was Magic and Sky full of Stars, also OK. But still, its the freaking Super Bowl! Don’t mind there music so much, but a party band they are not!

radiodork
    Spectator

I like a lot of different stuff. On my I phone I have: in no particular order
    Emimem
    Kendrick Lamar
    Rage Against The Machine
    System of a Down
    Stone Temple Pilots
    J Cole
    Chevelle
    Bob Marley
    Snoop Dogg
    Guns N Roses
    Rob Zombie
    Nirvana
    Metallica- Anything post “black album I don’t care for.
    Johnny cash- I love all the Rick Rubin produced albums that were made right before his death.
    Rolling Stones- Sticky fingers is my favorite Stones album. I love the stones because they are the one band that you can put on and listen to an entire album without skipping one track. Their albumsjust flow very well.
    Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and the conspirators. “Apocalyptic love” is my favorite album from them. I think Myles Kennedy is such an underrated singer. Easily one of the best rock singers from the past 20 years. I don’t know of too many rock singers that can match his vocal range. The only ones I can think of is Mike Patton of Faith No More and Axl Rose.
    Audioslave- loved their first album. Best vocal performance from Chris Cornell.
    Social Distortion
    I could talk music all day, but I’ll stop here

skeptical
    Participant

You know, it can’t take much to please observers of concussion sports. However, the NFL ought to earmark a large portion of halftime revenue to care for the numbed minds of retired players.

My choice for a lively halftime show — Mungo Jerry and Bobby Bloom.

Chico
    Participant

Sometimes there are literary figures who will summarize perfectly what I might want to say, but cannot find the right words- that why they are writers and I am not. To quote Chuck Klosterman: “[Coldplay is] a British pop group whose success derives from their ability to write melodramatic alt-rock songs about fake love. It does not matter that Coldplay is the shittiest fucking band I’ve ever heard in my entire fucking life, or that they sound like a mediocre photocopy of Travis (who sounds like a mediocre photocopy of Radiohead), or that their greatest fucking artistic achievement is a video where the blandly attractive frontman walks on a beach on a cloudy afternoon. None of that matters. What matters is that Coldplay manufactures fake love as frenetically as the Ford fucking Motor Company manufactures Mustangs. . . “For you I bleed myself dry,” sang the blockhead vocalist, brilliantly informing us that stars in the sky are, in fact, yellow.”

I agree, and this makes them PERFECT for Superbowl Halftime. Hopefully they are singing “Yellow” whilst I am taking my halftime leak.

And Dork…you may be a dork, but I like your playlist. Shows diversity and flexibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.