Coastal Radio Happenings

This topic contains 178 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 179 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

INSPIRATION MEDIA, INC. has applied for a Silent STA for K278BH/ASTORIA, OR while it builds modified facilities.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

BICOASTAL MEDIA LICENSES II, LLC has requested an extension of its Silent STA for K262AU/COOS BAY, OR while awaiting a move to a new tower.

Broadway
    Participant

CP expires in just a few weeks again for coastal KYTE…

Status Construction Permit for a Class C0 FM Station
    New City Independence, Oregon
    Effective Radiated Power 36,500 Watts
    Height above Avg. Terrain 648 meters (2126 feet)
    Height above Ground Level 26.4 meters (87 feet)
    Height above Sea Level 1011 meters (3317 feet)
    Transmitter Location 44° 47′ 49″ N, 123° 32′ 36″ W
    Construction Permit Granted April 10 2014
    Construction Permit Expires April 10 2017
    Last FCC Update April 10 2014

W7PAT
    Participant

The Valley has enough stations, I hope that KYTE will remain in Lincoln City.

semoochie
    Participant

There isn’t really a strong local commercial station that’s receivable in Salem. I think this would be a big help.

semoochie
    Participant

KYTE has managed to obtain an extension of its construction permit until July 20. The situation involves several issues out of their control including building permits and weather conditions. It appears that this will actually happen.

W7PAT
    Participant

Semoochie, there are a number of strong stations in Salem that can be heard with a portable radio. The problem with the Salem stations is that their programming is pretty bad. The only stations that are in English are two conservative talk stations and an Oldies station. If want any Salem news you’re pretty much out of luck.
    If KYTE does move to the Salem market I hope that they stay English and serve the area with live and local programming.

jr_tech
    Participant

boisebill
    Participant

Signal along the coast will be spotty and full of multipath. Too many low hills in the Fresnel path.

Broadway
    Participant

>> the Fresnel path
    but a clean shot to the valley?

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s not a clean shot to the valley. It is a clean shot into most of Salem/Keizer but as you go north up I-5 there are going to be some areas that are shadowed including but not limited to Amity, Wilsonville (blocked by unnamed hills) and much of Portland (the parts blocked by the Tualitin Hills).

I didn’t look going south of Salem.

The new 60 dBu contour in the direction of Portland is no closer then KLOO’s. It will be improved over the old one but still it’s a rim shot with a lot of hilly terrain in the way.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

What a downer for this great old station and when did KTIL Tillamook become Netarts? This from All Access:

ALEXANDRA COMMUNICATIONS, INC. has filed for a Silent STA for KTIL-A/NETARTS, OR due to a failure in the station’s transmitter and feed line.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Recently, I have only been hearing religious programs on 1590 (“1590 The Answer*”). I wondered, did KTIL flip formats? This explains it.

*1590 The Answer is KLFE Seattle.

paulwalker
    Participant

Not to open up old wounds, but I visited the OR coast on vacation in the past few days. Let me say the whole area seems kind of depressing. Certainly the natural beauty is still there, but nothing else has changed.

Listened to Boss FM at 100.7, and I see they have moved some of their AM talk programming over to the FM. Probably a good move. Music sounds good, very focused, but didn’t hear any talent…this was middays.

Heard Cheryl for a couple of minutes…wow what a trooper, she will likely go to her grave on mike. And I mean that with the best thoughts. Love the “boss radio” jingles, (obviously stolen, but I won’t tell!)

I know there was an extended thread on this years ago, and so I can’t help to comment. The fact that Cheryl is still hanging in there is a testament to her tenacity. While I don’t agree with everything she believes in, I will give her credit for continuing her passion.

I think we should appreciate those who have continued to compete in small market radio despite the odds against them. Cheryl is one of those, despite adversity.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  paulwalker.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I noted that as of about a week ago, KTIL 1590 returned to the air.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.