Coastal Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 425 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I have most of the AM stations from Alaska heard & QSL’d from Seaside/Warrenton through the years. KBBI 890 Homer and KICY 850 Nome are two of the most common. In reverse, living in Seward AK in the 60s, stations like KEX, KWJJ, KOIN, KPOJ, came in well.

chessyduck
    Participant

At one time Pamplin had proposed a 1570 outlet in Warrenton but like Aberdeen, it went nowhere. With the KGAL move to 1580 and the upgrade to 5kw (and a pattern that favors the northwest Oregon coast) AM 1570 would have been a non-starter by now anyway.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I hadn’t realized KGAL 1580 made a boost from 1 KW to 5 KW day. When did that happen? I do notice they are stronger up here during the day though (North Coast). Getting 5KW day on 920 probably would be a lot harder to do with Portland on 910.

chessyduck
    Participant

KGAL in 2012 filed for 7.5kw days / 1kw nights, both directional. EADS reapplied in 2014 for 5kw non-directional days / lkw directional which is where it currently sits.

That pretty much killed any hopes for even 250 watts on 1570 from Forest Grove for those with historic knowledge.

chessyduck
    Participant

Regarding KDUN and “Tradio” I saw this video about a Virginia radio station keeping that block format very much alive:

https://www.wtvr.com/waynes-world/small-town-radio-station-acts-as-backbone-for-community

mwdxer1
    Participant

Wasn’t that KWAY 1570 Forest Grove that went off in the 60s? Never heard the station, as I lived in Alaska until 1967. I did visit the station location and the old tower in Forest Grove. I talked to to widow of the old owner that was trying to sell the station about 1970, just before I started in radio. A friend told me the station was rock at one time and then switched to religion in later years before its’ demise. I am a bit surprised it never returned. But I would think if someone wanted to put it back on, they could have a directional pattern that would protect 1580, but in this day with AM stations signing off left and right, I don’t see it.
    A lot of stations heard and QSL’d in those days are no longer around. 1220 was silent for sometime after KAPT signed off. KIVR 1400 Cave Junction never returned. KLIQ 1290 & now the old KPOJ 1330 are gone, Lots of radio history.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the info on KGAL. I remember the old KGAL 920.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The Forest Grove 1570 station used the very apropos selection “Eve of Destruction” when it left the air for the last time. It seems that this, along with a cavalcade of other area stations, were unsuccessful in luring listeners away from KISN.

chessyduck
    Participant

One Auction 109 award that may be listenable in Astoria is the eventual 106.5 FM station in Raymond, Washington. Sunnylands won it, the same outfit behind the new Odell-Hood River C3 at 95.1. The Raymond outlet will be a Class A at 300 watts ERP.

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=198714

boisebill
    Participant

The KWAY tower remained “standing” years after it went off. Wish I’d stopped and taken a picture of the tower of rust and blackberry vines. Bit of a lean to it.
    Empty field a few years later.

e_dawg
    Participant

Speaking of the allocation Odell-Hood River C3 at 95.1. How did the allocation Class A Trout lake Wa moved to Odell Or?

chessyduck
    Participant

Apparently during the application phase it’s easier to move/upgrade a proposed facility. I think 94.9 KRKZ Chinook-Astoria was once assigned for the Tillamook County area but re-located northward during the initial paperwork. The original KTIL/KRBD 1590 Tillamook, had its community of license changed to Netarts to “backfill” the FM CoL change. It’s weird to think KTIL is not licensed to Tillamook anymore. Lars Larson would have a fit!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I may have sporadically heard 890 KBBI (Homer, AK) a few nights ago, although I was not able to hear an ID. The dominant station on the frequency was running Coast-to-Coast AM. I turned my loop antenna to null that out, and the dominant station was one playing country music. I carefully nulled that one out, and I was hearing a mish-mash of stations. There was sideband splash from the 880 kHz station in Dallas, OR. Occasionally, I heard a woman’s voice speaking with a slow cadence.

semoochie
    Participant

Isn’t there an 890 in St. George Utah?

mwdxer1
    Participant

There also in a No Cal now on 890 in Spanish. and also Boise. add to that powerhouse CJDC Dawson Creek BC. I remember the day when WLS was dominant most nights.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 425 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.