Coastal Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 425 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

They abruptly dropped out for me around 11:30 or so.

lastday
    Participant

2PM and they’re back. 🙂

chessyduck
    Participant

Headline:
    Reedsport Radio Station KDUN Goes Back On the Air
    2 hrs ago , The Bandon Western World / Coos Bay World
    https://theworldlink.com/news/local/reedsport-radio-station-kdun-goes-back-on-the-air/article_bb52e6a6-0c01-11ec-b17b-afd2ccfbe663.html

Gail Elber, The Umpqua Post (reporter)

After more than two years of silence, radio station KDUN AM 1030 will be back on the air starting Labor Day, September 6.

In May of this year, nighttime radio personality Delilah signed an agreement to purchase the station, which had been off the air for more than two years. On June 23, the FCC granted the assignment of the license and call letters to Delilah’s Big Shoes Productions corporation.

“I want to give back to the community where I grew up,” said Delilah. “Reedsport no longer has a newspaper or any other way of disseminating information to the residents; I want to provide that voice. I bought this station because it has special memories for me; it is the place where I got my start in radio, at the age of 15, back in 1975.”

Since June, Delilah’s team of broadcast consultants, engineers and programming experts have been working to put the transmitter into working order, build new studios and create programming that will not only be entertaining but provide local news. The new studios are located in the former Jewett School, which now is the location of the Oregon Coast School of Art.

Radio station KDUN located at a frequency of 1030 on the AM dial, begins broadcasting at 10:30 am on Labor Day, with a live broadcast of the ribbon-cutting ceremony. Members of the central coastal communities are invited to attend the ribbon-cutting.

PHOTO CAPTION:
    Radio star Delilah poses before Saturday’s Reedsport Education Enrichment Foundation banquet with her children (left to right) Thomas, Delilah and Blessing. The Reedsport native puts profits from her successful syndicated radio show into a foundation that helps Liberian refugees in Ghana.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I did not get a chance to check out KDUN during the day, but with their 600+ Watts at night they are pretty much dominant on 1030. This is from Warrenton on the North Coast. Reedsport as the crow flies is about 200 miles South. They used to be strong with the 50KW during the day, so I presume they still will be.

russell-curry
    Participant

I didn’t hear any kind of ceremony yesterday morning. I tuned in about 10-20, and after 10 minutes or so of silence there was a disco thing, then a Rod Stewart song.

chessyduck
    Participant

Reedsport – We have a website complete with streaming audio:

https://www.kdunradio.com
    audio: http://s24.total-streaming.com:7000/KDUNAM

The 10AM slot will include an hour of “tradio” – now that’s a throwback. Nothing like a swapshop on the air …

mwdxer1
    Participant

KSWB Seaside used to do Tridio.

russell-curry
    Participant

Did KDUN not broadcast the ribbon-cutting at sign-on after all, or was the signal just too weak up until the first songs I heard?

Broadway
    Participant

Now picking up KDUN in Salem this morning looks like they got the 50kw up to power sounds great.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Broadway.
    lastday
    Participant

KDUN is coming in better now in Eugene too. Signal strength on a Sony XDR is bouncing between 1 and 2 bars out of 3.

“America’s Last Real Radio Station”. Love it!

semoochie
    Participant

It seems that 16 years ago, a construction permit was applied for and granted, for a new station on 1140AM in Aberdeen WA. After many delays, the CP is being canceled.

boisebill
    Participant

It blocked a power upgrade 1140 KGEM Boise wanted to do.
    Too late now as KGEM is barely on the air with what they have.

russell-curry
    Participant

Back in the early days of X-band, KAST had a CP for 1700KHZ, with the usual 10KW day, 1KW night. It would have been interesting to see how well it got into Depoe Bay, it’s one of the strongest non-locals as it is, and also into Alaska, as you can pick up several west-coast X-banders from Anchorage.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Interesting you find KAST Astoria strong in Depoe Bay, up here in Warrenton KNPT has quite a signal during the day. Since 1230 is off most of the time, Toledo is common too. For some reason 1400 Lincoln City is not as strong as they used to be. KDUN is pretty decent up here days on the car radio also. Besides the 1700 for KAST, remember the 50 KW CP for 1570 Warrenton? That also was never built. Even at the time, we did not need a 50 KWer. Also it was so directional that a lot of the signal would have gone out to sea.

russell-curry
    Participant

My speculation on how well the KAST Cp would have reached Alaska is because the reverse seems to be the case, I’ve had good luck picking up Alaskans from Seaside, without much effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 425 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.