Coastal Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 398 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

https://www.newportnewstimes.com/business/kwax-completes-final-phase-of-newport-translator-rebuild/article_ecd5fbca-d923-11eb-bcb0-afeaef43dd8a.html

(Photo of tower climber on site below 4 bay and smaller translator antenna.)

Headline :
    “KWAX completes final phase of Newport translator rebuild”
    Jun 30, 2021

Story:
    On June 9, tower engineers completed installation of a new, two-bay Kathrein broadcast antenna at the transmission site of the KWAX Classical Oregon translator that serves Newport and the central Oregon coast.

Rebroadcast locally on FM frequency 91.3, the antenna is the last phase in a yearlong project to improve the signal and listener experience for patrons on the coast.

Previous updates included an improved delivery system and audio processing and a complete rebuild of the transmitter. The antenna replacement represents the final improvement and completes the more than $20,000 investment the station has made to continue to bring the world’s greatest musical compositions to classical music fans in the service area that extends from Yachats to north of Newport and inland to the Eddyville area.

“As a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station, we have to ensure we manage our operating expenses based on anticipated support from members, grants, and underwriters. It took us a while to get this work completed, but we think the listeners will notice a huge difference and hopefully appreciate the quality of the signal they are receiving now that the project has been completed,” said General Manager Greg Raschio.

On Friday, July 2, at 10 a.m. KWAX will air a performance by the Newport Symphony Orchestra from March of 2018 as part of it’s acclaimed “KWAX Presents,” a series of concerts by local professional arts groups. The performance features works by Haydn, Wagner, and Mozart.

KWAX is a network of three transmitters and eight translators serving Eugene, Redmond, Bend, Sunriver, Florence, Salem, Corvallis, Roseburg, Glide, Newport and Cottage Grove. KWAX is licensed to the University of Oregon as a non-commercial, educational public radio station. The station’s broadcast is also streamed at kwax.uoregon.edu and on Tune In Radio, Internet Radio, and a number of other streaming services.

russell-curry
    Participant

A couple of things I noticed while at the coast this week–the KNPT translator is down, though they still mention it on their ID. Also, I picked up something at 106.5, while in Lincoln City. I heard about five songs, with several seconds of silence between, no talking or jingles at all. Two of the songs were Xanadu by Rush, and Presence of the Lord by Blind Faith. Signal was pretty good the length of Lincoln City, and started petering out at Taft.

Broadway
    Participant

Think 106.5 is a long time pirate as I have heard the same last year visiting LC

chessyduck
    Participant

I noticed at FCCdata.org the ownership for KDUN is now listed as “Big Shoes Productions, Inc. 2698 Mountain View Rd. E , Port Orchard WA 98366”, which corresponds to Delilah’s “compound”. (Take a look in Google Earth as to the dimensions.)

I did not find any formal transfer paperwork at other sources but it sounds like KDUN is now in Delilah’s hands.

radiogiant
    Participant

I find it funny that KWAX says ” educational public radio station” only way that can happen is if they provide a educational experience by having U of O students on the air. That is what it was meant for. That doesnt happen anymore because the Student Union had to start their own many years ago. KWVA is a learning facility !

russell-curry
    Participant

I was in Forest Grove overnight back in September ’93, and picked up a surprisingly strong signal of KMUN at 90.1, on my GE Super II. According to my FM Atlas, it was their Tillamook translator. I forget how powerful the atlas had the translator at, but I think it was more than 1KW. The Super II had pretty much no adjacent channel selectivity, but the signal was strong enough that with a little de-tuning, it could hold its own with 89.9. I wonder if anyone remembers that translator, and has any knowledge of why it was alloweed to put out such a strong signal?

glennwood5
    Participant

I truly believe that if a public institution such as a university, community college or school district receives a license for a radio station, that station must be on the campus of such facility. Otherwise,it’s a commercial station and should be treated as such.

That rules out KWAX and KLCC in Eugene. Both has studios off campus. KRVM is on campus and should be okay.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by glennwood5.
    chessyduck
    Participant

KCYS Seaside has an unannouced audio stream – try : https://us9.maindigitalstream.com/ssl/KCYS

Makes sense as sister station KEUB is:
    https://us9.maindigitalstream.com/ssl/KEUB

chessyduck
    Participant

HEADLINE : “Reedsport radio station KDUN set to return to the airwaves on Labor Day”

Roseburg News-Review, 31 August 2021.
    By Donovan Rink (brink@nrtoday.com and 541-957-4219)

https://www.nrtoday.com/news/local/reedsport-radio-station-kdun-set-to-return-to-the-airwaves-on-labor-day/article_894ab695-7a36-5e6e-8811-5472c95643d7.html

After more than two years of silence, Reedsport radio station KDUN is preparing its return to the airwaves.

The station is expected to turn the microphones back on at 10:30 a.m. on Labor Day at its 1030 AM frequency.

The return of the station was made possible by popular syndicated radio host Delilah, a 1978 graduate of Reedsport High School and easily the station’s most famous alumnus. Delilah Rene began her radio career in 1975 at the age of 15 providing school reports. Before long, she was given on-air shifts before and after school.

Now 61, Delilah hosts nighttime radio shows across the country. Her syndicated show, which she hosts from her home studio near Port Orchard, Washington, airs from 7 p.m.-midnight Monday-Friday on 104.5 Sam FM in central Douglas County.

The purchase was finalized in May and on June 23, the Federal Communications Commission granted the broadcasting license and call letters to Delilah’s Big Shoes Productions corporation.

“I want to give back to the community where I grew up,” Delilah said in a press release.

Since June, a team of broadcast consultants, engineers and programming experts have been working to get the radio station’s transmitter in working order, building new studios and building a program format suited to coastal Douglas County.

The new studios will share a building with the Oregon Coast School of Art, located at 325 High St. in nearby Gardiner.

boisebill
    Participant

Sheesh. Wouldn’t be putting into print
    “After more than two years of silence, Reedsport radio station KDUN is preparing its return to the airwaves”.

Broadway
    Participant

The duck likes to quack😊

chessyduck
    Participant

Per Lance Venta the launch time will be 10:30 am (Pacific Time?)

Photos/Videos at : https://www.facebook.com/kdunam

chessyduck
    Participant

KDUN is back on the air as expected – launching just before 10:30AM with a classic rock / classic hits format. K-D-U-N “AN Ten Three Oh – Dune Radio”.

First song was “Do you believe in magic” by the Lovin Spoonful.”

For 50kw still a little weak – probably still cleaning out the transmitter cobwebs.

lastday
    Participant

I can just barely get it in Eugene. Good enough to get a station ID and tell what they’re saying and playing.

They’re broadcasting only one channel of the stereo source. Very noticeable in Buffalo Springfield’s For What It’s Worth.

While typing this the Sony tuner detected HD and muted the analog signal a couple times trying to lock on HD. Some kind of artifact?

russell-curry
    Participant

I’m not able to pick it up on that sdr radio in Newport. I think they must be on nighttime power, if anything at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 398 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.