Coastal Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

Any further insight regarding KCYS? E-mails bounce and the phone is disconnected… No FCC STA filings observed as well.

The station might make a good relay for a Portland FMer or even one of the AM locals : KSWB, KKOR, etc…

chessyduck
    Participant

On 12/18 the FCC approved the sale of AM 1230 KCUP, Toledo, to Rubin Broadcasting from Xana Oregon LLC. It will be interesting to see how fast Steve Rubin can launch his content on that frequency. For audio content of his other stations visit his Icecast server at: streaming.rubinbroadcasting.com .

Xana Oregon LLC also recently sold off KZLY (FM) in Ione, a Hermiston rimshotter.

e_dawg
    Participant

Just out of curiosity. Speaking of the Northern Oregon Coast. I was looking at the rabbitears.info data and plug in KBTC and KCKA the PBS station in Tacoma and Centralia WA. If you lived in Astoria and Warrenton Or, is it possible to picked up KBTC over there from their translator in Grays River, WA? Also for people living in Longview/Kelso area and Vancouver, WA area? Is it possible to pick up KCKA-TV up there?

mwdxer1
    Participant

A neighbor that lives close to the KCYS house they were in,tells me the house & property has been sold. Someone is moving in and dismantling the equipment. I heard KCYS turned their license in to the FCC as they ran out of money. Too many stations on the North Coast to support them all. KSWB has their 250w translator that get out well enough. The Astoria stations are mostly owned by one company now. There is 94.3 Astoria and 93.3 Seaside, but why do they need another FM? Less than 40K in the county and there are about 20 stations & translators. About half are commercial. Few make much money. KAST probably does the best for AM’s. KMUN Listener Supported does well with money-ed people supporting them and they often are number one in the ratings. Of course that bugs the commercial stations.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Not where I live as the hills to the NE block Gray’s River. I can detect them on the meter, but even with a high gain yagi, not enough to lock. Now living along the Columbia River or up on the Astoria hills, the translator can be received. But it is weaker than the rest. I think only an ERP of 500w.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Ah, the station I used to be the music director for as by boss owned both KVAS Astoria and KTDO Toledo. KTDO was C&W in those days.

chessyduck
    Participant

As expected, Rubin launched the KCUP audio stream on the Internet; the technical links still have to be completed. For now KCUP AM 1230 in Toledo over-the-air carries Christmas music.

KCUP will be talk format. Here’s the audio URL.

http://streaming.rubinbroadcasting.com/kcup.m3u

chessyduck
    Participant

KCUP 1230 is now carrying the talk format over-the-air, this afternoon relaying a KTOX-originated show out of Rubins’ Needles, California outlet.

The new website: http://www.kcup1230.com/

paulwalker
    Participant

chessyduck, your last two links are apparently dead. One doesn’t even load, the other says “coming soon”. Par for the course for this long underperforming OR coast outlet.

chessyduck
    Participant

I am listening to the stream at this moment. You can click on the various audio links at the Icecast server: streaming.rubinbroadcasting.com. .

Depending on the configuration of your web browser you make have to chose XPSF versus M3U to launch your media player. Give Rubin a few days at least… their team just got the signal launched…

Besides, unless you’re a fan of graveyard channel AM DXing the Yaquina Bay area at least will have one more station on the dial…

chessyduck
    Participant

The new ownership of KGBR 92.7 in Gold Beach has been rebuilding their website, complete with photos of the new ownership team: https://kgbr.com/

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just got word from a friend that KCYS was sold to Jacob’s broadcasting, owner of KEUB 93.3. Don’t know what the format will be when it returns though. It was Country. By their teaser, it doesn’t sound like they will be Country though, but who knows?

semoochie
    Participant

There are two Kubes on 93.3? Didn’t there used to be a KEUB in Eugene?

chessyduck
    Participant

——————–
    From the Seaside Signal:

Headline: “Jacobs Radio purchases second local radio station”

By R.J. MARX Seaside Signal Jan 7, 2021

Jacobs Radio, owner of local station 93.3 FM “The Rock,” has purchased KCYS 96.5 FM from the family of broadcaster Dave Heick, who died in December.

Heick operated KCYS from his home in Seaside. His family negotiated a deal with Jeff Jacobs, of Jacobs Radio, for the station.

Jacobs Radio found success in Clatsop County in 2018 with the purchase of 93.3 FM. It was rebranded “The Rock” and two years later is the No.1 Nielsen-rated radio station in the county.

Now they’re adding to their portfolio.

“It wasn’t like I was out shopping for a radio station,” Jacobs said. “But the opportunity presented itself. It was a win for the family and a win for us.”

Operations will move to the station’s studio offices in the Gearhart Plaza off U.S. Highway 101 with towers on Tillamook Head and in Astoria.

The country music format will continue uninterrupted, along with a new morning show targeted to debut later this month.

Based in Tri-Cities, Washington, Jacobs Radio was launched in 2001. “The Rock” joined seven other stations, with affiliates covering areas between the Tri-Cities, Moses Lake and Wenatchee in Washington state and Hermiston and The Dalles in Oregon.

With nine stations, Jacobs isn’t ruling out future purchases.

“It’s not easy times for anybody and there’s going to be a lot of radio stations for sale,” he said. “I want to make sure I’m available for those. It will be a buyer’s market coming up this year, should be positioned in ready for it.”

https://www.seasidesignal.com/news/local-news/jacobs-radio-purchases-second-local-radio-station/article_6b2c4c48-5073-11eb-a183-dbf6cafe2343.html

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Coburg has a KEQB, 97.7, Regional Mexican. I always suspected KEUB took those calls to mimic KUBE, formerly receivable in Clatsop until KEUB came along.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.