Coastal Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

Talk about a quick sale.. MCH Enterprises now lists the “OREGON COAST AM” property as “SALE PENDING”. The FCC paperwork filing takes a few weeks so we’ll know eventually. Meanwhile I guess the locals can enjoy the Christmas music….

Broadway
    Participant

Checked station today…no audio…just carrier…be interesting to see who scooped up the deal…Bustos? πŸ™‚

chessyduck
    Participant

You are correct. It sounds like KCUP stole KCKX’s award-winning “open carrier” format. Nothing like a lot of dead air for Halloween

chessyduck
    Participant

Never mind the last post folks… KCUP is now playing holiday music along with PSAs.

When KCUP was running the ever-popular open-carrier format “underneath the carrier” one could hear KWYZ Everett airing Radio Hankook’s Korean-language content. KWIZ/KSUH streams at : http://75.145.16.210:8080/stream.m3u

semoochie
    Participant

Now that KCUP is playing holiday music, are they running “Underneath the Tree” instead of “underneath the carrier”? πŸ™‚

e_dawg
    Participant

Is 102.7 KYTE-Fm broadcasting from the coastal mountain range or they still broadcast from their old site between Lincoln City and Newport?

Broadway
    Participant

Still back on their original Newport site…can’t get in the Valley…been couple years back?

mwdxer1
    Participant

KYTE 102.7 apparently is still at the old site as it still booms in here on the North Coast. I’m in Warrenton.

semoochie
    Participant

This is all I can find: KYTE had a generator failure in 2018, sent it back to the manufacturer and waited for a warranty replacement. They filed and were granted an STA to operate from the original site, which expired on December 1, 2018. There is no indication that it was ever renewed. I don’t see how this can possibly be legal.

Broadway
    Participant

>>I don’t see how this can possibly be legal.
    Serious stuff here…guess if the authorities don’t know radio life goes on….

chessyduck
    Participant

We have a winner for $25,000! The paperwork is here:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1823115&Service=AM&Form_id=314&Facility_id=645

Xana Oregon has filed the license transfer paperwork to sell KCUP. The buyer is Rubin Broadcasting, not a stranger to Northwest radio having launched KURT 93.7 in Prineville before later selling it. Rubin owns several small-market stations in California.

If you want to hear the content of Rubin’s stations you can listen here: streaming.rubinbroadcasting.com

(The KCEA stream at the site is for a Bay Area non-comm high school station.)

chessyduck
    Participant

The slow return to the Coast Range transmitter site of KYTE Independence, 102.7 FM, warranted further research… Why was this mpuntaintop arrangement chosen? Is power available? Could the site move closer to powet?

I found some answers in the final engineering study for the new site. The RF gurus really pushed the proposed contours to their limits with respect to 103.3 Beaverton.. You can read the study at the URL below. KYTE is also constrained by having to remain fairly close to the Independence FCC allocation site per the technical study:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101574946&qnum=5350&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Or just go to FCCDATA.ORG and look at the KYTE filings.

Using Google Earth it looks like the site is 6.3km linear distance from the nearest powerline… definitely some serious money to get a solid feed.. ..Adding the “snake factor” of 1.3X it’s over 8km…Wow! Given the close contours the only way to get closer to the powerlines would be to drop the RF power and thus coverage area but the allocation point restricts much movement..

Okay Yaquina Bay guys.. Please file that STA!

mwdxer1
    Participant

One interesting thing happened today, viewed by a friend, KCYS 96.5 Seaside is silent tonight. My friend say some vehicles over at the KCYS site taking some boxes out, placed a padlock on the front door and drove away. I have no clue what happened, but 96.5 has Seattle in HD tonight.

chessyduck
    Participant

Good catch MWDXer1! I always thought KCYS was perhaps another coastal shoestring operation – no web presence was one clear sign. The FCC allocation too many FM channels to Clatsop County to point where no money can be made.

The KCYS Wikipedia entry notes “The state of Oregon has designated KCYS as the primary, also called “P-1″, provider to Clatsop County of bulletins about weather and other emergencies issued by state agencies and officials.”

Given KCYS’s (and likely others) are locaced in the tsunami zone I think Seaside would be caught short during any earthquake/flood recovery effort.

boisebill
    Participant

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEAs) reach so many more people now. Only if, or after cell service is crippled does broadcast radio become important.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.