Coastal Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 299 total)
  • Author
    Screamer
    Participant

I would say localism. The stations on the coast are not competing with TV stations for news coverage.

<<I am wondering how these radio stations are staying alive out on the coast. Even when I spent a short period out there in 2005, it was bleak. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to maintain revenue today. What is the future for Oregon coast radio stations? Do they eventually just sign-off, or is there some secret sauce to keep them going?>>

chessyduck
    Participant

If you want to hear some localism the KNPT/KWDP morning newsblock can be a treat. The 6am morning newsblock launched today with a several-minute rant about a neighborhood barking dog. Now that’s localism!

(KCST and KGBR are some other stations that carry local news segments focusing on their priorities: public safety, fishing, road conditions, agriculture, timber, local COVID outbreaks, etc.)

In all fairness, they have the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake to always worry about along with the frequent potential for bad weather, bad seas, and anything else thrown their way.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by chessyduck.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by chessyduck.
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Used to be all AM’s on the Oregon coast were “local”, but with the satellite programming some have changed. When I was News Director at KVAS 1230 Astoria was in the 70s and was all local except for network news. Fun times, lots of remotes.

russell-curry
    Participant

I did pick up KWRO faintly today with a better radio, from Eugene. I grew up near Cottage Grove, and almost every pocket radio I ever had could pick it up a little. So when 630 came up blank last week, even though the frequency seemed pretty noise-free, I got fooled.

semoochie
    Participant

Is anything satellite fed anymore or is it all from the internet?

Shirley Knott
    Participant

It’s a mix. Satellite is still more reliable than Internet. Other than predictable solar outages for a few minutes a day for a few days a year, Satellite is always there.

Internet signals tend to fade out for a lot of reasons like car/pole collisions, errant backhoes, the occasional flash flood or just because it’s (your Internet Provder Name here).

But with FCC selling cellular half of the C Band satellite channels radio and TV have used for years, we can expect Internet to take up more slack as prices go up for the use of the remaining C Bandwidth.

Also, it’s harder and harder to find a spot for a 6-10 foot satellite dish to live at a station anymore.

chessyduck
    Participant

The sale of the AM side of KURY Brookings finally has been consumated as of August 4th to Bicoastal Media per the FCC filing. The FM side had been transferred to Bicoastal several months ago.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was at the coast yesterday, and I can confirm that the 840 signal is back on the air.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant
    chessyduck
    Participant

Per Steve Naganuma’s finding this listing is for the long-silent KDUN. How the station’s license is still active is beyond me The current KDUN owner only needs to see what happened to KSKD Dos Palos , California, when the feds finally figured out that silence “was not golden”..

You can search for “DKSKD” in FCCdata.org or FCC FM Query..

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t know what happened, Steve but no results are shown.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

See if this link works. The previous link came to me in an email.

https://www.radiotvdeals.com/m8/2594–oregon-gold-coast-powerhouse.html

Here is the text if the link still does not work:
    Oregon
    AM Station
    Code 2594
    Ad Headline Oregon Gold Coast Powerhouse
    Market Rank Mkt 1-50
    Asking Price $ 200,000
    More Stations? Stand Alone
    Seller Financing? Cash Only Deal
    Will Seller LMA? No
    Description
    This 50kW AM covers Route 101 from border to border and the Eugene market for a total population of just over 700K.

chessyduck
    Participant

Has anything changed with KYTE Independence? I would put the query under “Capital City” but I think they’re have remained on the Coast given all the problems with the fossil-fuel-only Coast Range site. YBC had that station on the market via a broker but any active listing seems to have vanished.

Broadway
    Participant

Still no 102.7 signal heard in the valley. When it was on it covered well.

semoochie
    Participant

I got the same message as before. It can’t be my browser because it arrives at the site and says there are no results!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 299 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.