Coastal Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

KSWB works on a shoestring. Pretty much a one man operation. 1230 Astoria also has been silent, but their FM (106.3 lp) is operating. Maybe they feel that there is no money in running the AM’s. Right now only KAST 1370 is the only AM operating in Clatsop County.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that I heard the Astoria 1230 station recently, from Cannon Beach. The signal was relatively free of co-channel interference, leading me to believe that I was hearing a semi-local station and not skip.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t think I would describe reception of Astoria from Cannon Beach as skip. It’s well within the 0.5mv/m contour.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by semoochie.
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

That would be too close to be skip. What I intended to say was that I believe that I heard the Astoria station on 1230 and not something else. It certainly wouldn’t have been the Gresham station, as I heard oldies, rather than Spanish programming.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have not heard KKOR 1230 Astoria in months here at Warrenton, 7 miles from the tx site. I just tried and I have weak (presumed) Spanish speaker, probably Gresham. If KKOR was on, it was briefly, maybe to keep the license alive. But they are off right now.

chessyduck
    Participant

Xana Oregon, LLC., the Tom Hodgins and Christpher Jacky partnership, just did another quick station property flip. Originally in October, the team bought KPPT-FM (Depoe Bay) and KCUP-AM (Toledo) from $155,000 from AGPAL. They just sold the FM “Boss 100.7” station for $170,000 to Seattle-based PACNW Broadcasting LLC. (This means Xana still has the KCUP AM 1230 property they can sell off for additional profit.).

More details at :
    https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101819021&formid=314&fac_num=642

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by chessyduck.
    W7PAT
    Participant

If 1230 KKOR is off the air, I am assuming that the FM translator on 106.3 is off as well. (?)

semoochie
    Participant

Curiously, an application was approved three days ago that corrects their coordinates.

russell-curry
    Participant

Anyone know when the Newport receiver at smeter.net will be back up? The site says a few days, but I’ve been checking for several months.

chessyduck
    Participant
    chessyduck
    Participant

Now reading down at 0900 PDT .. The Newport KiwiSDR is apparently in software-upgrade mode. I have seen this before elsewhere, taking a receiver offline for several days…mostly recently while I was trying to listen to XETRA 690 which apparently is still running Mandarin programming into SoCal.

Chico
    Participant

Working fine now, as of 1045PDT.

mwdxer1
    Participant

In both cases 106.3 KKOR’s translator is operating normally as well as KSWB’s on 98.1. Just the AM’s are off.

russell-curry
    Participant

KWRO seems to be either off the air, or running at very low power. It’s not coming in at all on the Newport SDR receiver, and I wasn’t able to pick it up from Cottage Grove.

paulwalker
    Participant

I am wondering how these radio stations are staying alive out on the coast. Even when I spent a short period out there in 2005, it was bleak. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to maintain revenue today. What is the future for Oregon coast radio stations? Do they eventually just sign-off, or is there some secret sauce to keep them going?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 262 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.