Coastal Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I used to be able to hear KDUN in the late afternoon, just before they dropped to their nighttime power. I have not heard this station on the air in years.

semoochie
    Participant

I haven’t driven around much in over 30 years. I don’t remember if I ever heard KDUN on 1030. It seems like I could hear them in Coos Bay on their old frequency. This should be waaay better! Assuming I did hear the station, it was on a car radio, possibly with a telescoping antenna but I’m really surprised that the quality of reception has decreased, to what looks like 5mv/m, isn’t even listenable in Coos Bay!

chessyduck
    Participant

Gosh, even KAST filed an STA for a hit to their transmission system in mid-winter. A sharp engineer has put the Astoria station back on-line and can be readily DX’d in Newport via the kiwisdr.smeter.net:8073 remote web-enabled receiver. So, where’s that KDUN STA for its long-silent status???!!!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The company that owns KDUN also owns an FM station in a different city. Both stations have been silent for some time. Some time ago, I looked up the FCC record on KDUN, and I found some address in California. I looked up this address in Google street view, and I noted that it is a residential address. As I have not been in Reedsport since before KDUN signed off, I wonder if the station now just exists on paper.

To give some perspective, the last time that I heard KDUN, adjacent-channel KXPD was still running China Radio International’s English programming lineup.

Screamer
    Participant

Made a trip to Eugene today. Flipped around the dial on my lunch break. Sounds like the radio landscape is pretty well automated with no host or voicetracked with only a couple exceptions. I tried listening to KDUN on 1030 and didn’t hear anything.

chessyduck
    Participant

West Lane Translator Inc. who runs several four TV translators in the Florence area, has filed paperwork to spinoff its non-comm community radio station KXCR to KXCR Community Radio Partners. The nominal sales price is $1. The paperwork was submitted on 2 March.
    KXCR is a Class A running 900 watts ERP at 90.7MHz.

Websites: kxcr.net and westlanetv.org

Unfortunately KXCR streams on the Interner with the lame Twitch application instead of something more useful like Shoutcast/Icecast

chessyduck
    Participant

https://www.dailyastorian.com/news/local/coast-community-radio-awarded-major-grant/article_0a613690-8020-11ea-8506-379b08ee1516.html

A story about Coast Community Radio receiving a $120K grant for technical support for stations KMUN, KTCB and KCPB. The monies come from the Murdock Charitable Trust, a legacy of Jack Murdock who founded Tektronix.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by chessyduck.
    russell-curry
    Participant

Regarding KDUN’s signal, they did really pound into Sutherlin and Roseburg. I’m pretty sure they’re now off the air, I can’t pick up a trace from Eugene. I checked out their stream this morning, they certainly act like they’re on the air. They call themselves Beach radio 1030, the give out temperature readings, and do a legal ID on the hour.

Screamer
    Participant

Normally I am sent to Salem once a week. They are starting to send me to Eugene once a month. I will try to listen for 1030 when I get there later this month. Do you think they might be turning it on for a couple hours a week to keep the license legal?

russell-curry
    Participant

I suppose they would run nighttime power to make legal, which would be a tough catch from Eugene during the day, but they used to get in and hold their own reasonably well at night. I got the stream going last night and tonight and checked 1030, but no trace.

mwdxer1
    Participant

K-DUN’s signal even came in well on the Northern Oregon Coast.The 50KW got out well. At night I could get their 630 watts, but in the jumble.

Screamer
    Participant

Thank you, Russell. I did not catch that earlier post because I jumped into the thread at the end.

russell-curry
    Participant

Coast reception can be weird, land vs water path. From Depoe Bay, if you tune 1230, Toledo is on top, but you can definitely hear Astoria underneath. One time from there I found something on 1490, turned out it wasn’t KBZY but Hoquiam.

chessyduck
    Participant

Yes, conditions on the Coast are interesting. This morning at 7:00am I am medium wave DXing via the SMETER.NET Newport web-enabled SDR. KCUP Toledo is apparently off the air so rolling in is AM KRYN 1230 in Gresham. (Not likely disappearing, however I did see some March paperwork by Xana Oregon for KCUP; it looks like a market overlap update and a lat/lon correction to their Toledo bay-side 1kw stick. KPPT FM 100.7 is still streaming – a good sign.)

If you hear anything on 1030kHz it is likely KMAS Shelton, Washington. K-Dune is likely K-Done at this point.

I enjoy the saltwater paths along the Coast. In Port Orford during the daylight AM 1400 KIHH (790w / Eureka) lands a signal there.

russell-curry
    Participant

It works at night also. In July, from Seaside, I got 930 from Ketchikan and 800 from Juneau, just tuned in at the top of the hour, there they were in the clear. I think I also got the non-commercial at 890 from Homer, ak. The music sounded non-commercial, kind of chill-ish. Signal was pretty strong, but didn’t last until the ID.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.