Coastal Radio Happenings

This topic contains 178 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

Choosing a site where there is no power is not smart. Telling yourself “we’ll deal with that afterwords” is quite irresponsible.

They chose to run with an incomplete solution and now they are dealing with the consequences.

Three site requirements:

Power
    Accesibility
    Environmental impact (running big diesel generators 24/7 is a huge impact but in remote areas on private land there usually isn’t much resistance).

Bad luck? Nope. Broadway is being generous. It’s just plain bad thinking. Luck is not involved.

boisebill
    Participant

(Putting on Old Codger hat)
    This would not have been approved if “Good Engineering Practices” had been applied at the FCC to their application.

chessyduck
    Participant

Nice write-up in the Coos Bay World about KLJN 105.9 “The Legend”. The article URL is here:
    https://theworldlink.com/news/local/radio-legend-finds-a-home-in-coos-bay/article_9100fd9c-aa39-5ba5-ae86-98aff184500a.html

“Radio legend finds a home in Coos Bay”
    byline NICHOLAS A. JOHNSON The World Jun 18, 2018

Note: KLJN streams as well via their website and the StreamGuys servers: http://thelegendradio.com/ . Quite a nice mix of tunes from that era.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

Wow, look at that! No more than three minutes of commercials in a break. The advertiser doesn’t get ripped off being unit five in an eight-unit cluster. Who’d a thought? Congrats, Roger, you do radio right!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

RADIO BEAM, LLC has closed on the sale of AC KEUB/GEARHART, OR and an application for a booster in ASTORIA, OR to JEFFREY HUFFMAN’s JACOBS RADIO PROGRAMMING, LLC for $80,000.

chessyduck
    Participant

KUPO-LP Port Orford

I happened to visit Port Orford in early July. The sign for KUPO LP 105.5 is clearly visible on US-101 across from Ray’s IGA. The antenna is mounted in the back – probably a Comet CFM-95SL. The low HAAT limits coverage to Langlois at best. The format is long-play classic rock with a deep play list.

I stopped into the coffee-shop in the same building and asked the owner about the station. He said there is no longer a real studio/office in Port Orford. The station is programmed out of Coos Bay. (This begs the question — are the LPFMs also allowed to follow the new “relaxed” studio rules?)

At least KUPO was running local PSAs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7491294,-124.4974964,3a,75y,92.45h,90.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spxgFeH1M0CpFDfAgfLuuzw!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

chessyduck
    Participant

I noticed the building where the former KDUN 1030 studios were located has a for-sale in front of it. I wonder if this includes the 10-foot C-band dish?

chessyduck
    Participant

While surfing the net I noticed TillamookRadio.com website has stopped streaming KTIL AM/FM and KDEP. Further surfing showed the apparent parent, Alexandra Radio of Walla Walla has stopped streaming for all their stations (e.g. legacy KUJ):
    http://www.alexandra-radio.com/

Not sure if it’s technical or smaller station groups don’t want to pay the ever-aggressive licensing fees for webstreaming.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Talking to a local station owner who has not been willing to stream because of the high costs (as much as $1000 a month I was told), he is looking at another lesser known company to stream the station at only $10 a month.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Some weeks ago, the general manager of KLYC was saying that since music royalty payments work differently for music streamed over the Internet compared to music broadcast over the air, so radio stations that are on both platforms have to pay significant amounts in royalties. These payments could go up even further, depending on how streaming royalty laws evolve. He predicted that we could see many more stations switching to talk formats just to escape the expense of music royalties.

chessyduck
    Participant

It looks Eureka Broadcasting wants to sell off its Brookings’ properties – KURY AM/FM. MCH Enterprises station brokers has this listing below at their website now. It matches up. KURY AM 910 is relayed locally on FM 105.3 and FM 95.3 is also carried on 10-watt K267AD in Cave Junction.

So, is $550K too much … Yes – given the marginal market there, heavy media spillover from Crescent City, and poor FM signal pattern to the north – a miss of the potential growth area with the upcoming Pacific Gales Golf Course and Resort. Poor Curry County remains cash-strapped …

Oh yes, Eureka never bothered to stream either the FM or AM station….

————————- AD COPY ————————-
    NEW! Southern Oregon Coast combo with translator. Good revenue stream and good cashflow. Very effective NTR. Great quality of life. Asking price is $550,000 which works out to about 1.25X sales. Super opportunity for owner/operator with strong sales and programming background. Seller financing may be available for the right Buyer with operating and financial bona fides and a strong down-payment. AM station has cross service FM translator and FM coverage is also extended via leased translator. Significant regional coverage to both Oregon and California cities. Non-disclosure required.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t know if this is still true or not but the Brookings and Crescent City AM stations used to bop right into Eureka. It’s a clear shot across(if that’s the word for it)the ocean.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I remember driving down 101 years ago and KURY 910 got out well going South to Arcata/Eureka. Going North is another story. Even with directional antennas, logging KURY on the Northern Oregon Coast at 300 miles was not easy. Even when Vancouver/Portland (KISN) was off for years in the 70s.

Patrick

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

LANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE has requested an STA to operate KLCO/NEWPORT, OR with reduced power due to transmitter damage.

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.