Coastal Radio Happenings

This topic contains 144 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Broadway 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

Ok, we have threads for Southern, Central/Eastern Oregon and Eugene. Let’s not leave out the Coast! I’ll start. A new station, licensed to Netarts, has applied for program test authority and subsequent license. It’s a Class A, covering the usual areas around Tillamook and from its location, it doesn’t look like further power would help. Anything further away is directly in its natural nulls. It’s KRKZ and it runs 460 watts @ 355 meters on 94.3 and should be on the air soon, if not already.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

94.3 KRKZ debuted with “Classic Rock That Rocks” on the morning of August 17th, and is streaming at http://www.rock943.com. Sister stations; 105.5 KDEP, 95.9 KTIL-FM and 1590 KTIL have been streaming since earlier this year.

jay_zie
    Participant

According to Radio Locator KRKZ 93.5 MHz is licensed to Altus, Oklahoma

Andy Brown
    Participant

Radio Locator is not always accurate.

KWHW-FM in Altus switched to KRKZ for a period of time and then switched back.

The only definitive place to check on this kind of stuff is the FCC database.

Andy Brown
    Participant

On April 1, 1974, KWHW-FM signed on at 93.5 FM as a sister station to KWHW (1450 AM). In April 1984, broadcast license holder KWHW Radio, Inc., reached an agreement to sell KWHW and KWHW-FM to Altus Radio, Inc. The deal was approved by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on May 29, 1984, and the transaction was formally consummated on July 2, 1984.The station’s call sign was changed to “KRKZ” by the FCC on November 11, 1984.

In October 2003, Altus Radio, Inc., made a deal to sell this station, along with sister stations KWHW in Altus and KQTZ in Hobart, to Monarch Broadcasting, Inc, for a combined sale price of $1,800,000.[9] The deal gained FCC approval on December 12, 2003, and the transaction was consummated on December 31, 2003.

The station was re-assigned the “KWHW-FM” call sign by the FCC on May 30, 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWHW-FM

Marianagy
    Participant

KRKZ 94.3 FM is currently live and Rockin’ Tillamook. Signal goes really strong actually from Neskowin to Seaside. It’s Classic Rock with an edge. I programmed it and it is based on the old KRCK.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

94.3 KRKZ sounds very well programmed!

semoochie
    Participant

It looks to me that if the signal makes it to Seaside, it should be just as strong partly through Lincoln City but it’s only about 40dbu. If it barely clears Neskowin, it wouldn’t quite make Cannon Beach at 50dbu.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

“The Quake” 107.9 KLSY (Raymond) has been granted it’s CP to upgrade into Aberdeen at 107.3.

Once Aberdeen’s 93.7 KANY moves into the Seattle-Tacoma market, I wouldn’t be surprised if the “Bigfoot Country” format moves to the new 107.3 signal.

It just occurred to me that the new upgraded 93.7 KANY will mix with Medford’s 93.7 KTMT-FM between Albany and Eugene, during enhanced reception periods.

pdxgary98
    Participant

94.3 KRKZ I listen to here in Lincoln City sounds great comes in better then their sister station KTIL-FM. I heard them sign on.

pdxgary98
    Participant

KCNU 92.7 btw is testing their new higher power now.

jr_tech
    Participant

Even at the higher power, I have been unable to DX KNCU 92.7 from the Hillsboro area. A religious translator (K224DL) south of my location strongly covers them. 🙁

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=60136

Radiodjm
    Participant

KNCU is not testing any higher power yet, no new transmitter or antenae has been installed yet. Next summer.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

YBC might be waiting until they move 102.7 KYTE into the valley, before upgrading 92.7 KNCU.

pdxgary98
    Participant

KCNU has been popping off the air alot and just running a signal after midnight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.