Closed captioning now required on TVs in Portland bars, restaurants

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Closed captioning now required on TVs in Portland bars, restaurants

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spud
    Participant

No disrespect to deaf people in any way but this is just non-sense. They could order 30% of the TVs have close captioning at a given place or something like that.

paulwalker
    Participant

The better solution is to allow deaf people to request CC. Then require the establishment to perform. It really is only a flick of the switch.

skeptical
    Participant

“It really is only a flick of the switch.”

No, it isn’t. Many humans are buffoons who are unable to turn it on. Many “replacement” remotes are not able turn the captions on or off.

“No disrespect to deaf people in any way but this is just non-sense.”

How is this not disrespect? Lets turn off 70% of the speakers in a movie theatre and see how you like it.

Besides, folks who whine about this now will ultimately “get it” in their mid 70s when their own hearing goes down the tube.

Matt Jones
    Participant

“Besides, folks who whine about this now will ultimately “get it” in their mid 70s when their own hearing goes down the tube.”

With the proliferation of earbuds (played at high volume), I think you could safely subtract 20+ years from that statement. But it’s right on!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

At a number of bars and dining establishments and pubs, the audio from the TVs is not set up to play over the PA system. Wait staff may even be instructed that they are not allowed to turn up the volume on the TVs.* Thus, one would think that the restaurant or pub would want to leave the closed captioning on for the benefit of patrons without requiring a city ordinance to do so.

*Some time ago, I was waiting for a flight with a co-worker at an airport pub. There was a Trailblazers game that night. The PA system was playing music. My co-worker asked the bartender if it would be possible to turn up the volume on the TV that was playing the Trailblazers game. The bartender went to check on whether this was possible and then came back with a “legal”-sounding answer that there was some company policy that said that they weren’t allowed to play TV audio at the pub because of copyright issues (this was probably BS).

Dxer1969
    Participant

Had ear issues until 8/13/15. And I as a 56 year old needed to rely on the closed captioning to truly enjoy television. Glad that is an option now! Times change! Folks who are handicapped need the help.

Dxer1969
    Participant

At Matt Jones. Glad you are still working in the biz! Respect your feedback and wisdom. Am new here. But I listened to you for years and I respect your posts! Happy Holidays, Matt!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.