Classic Country Pirate on 1710?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dialtwirler
    Participant

For about a week now, someone has been playing classic country CDs (Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, etc.) on 1710 kHz. No announcements, commercials or TOH IDs. There is little fading so they are probably not too far from Portland. They seem to be on the air irregularly but I usually hear them after midnight. There is a 100 watt station on 1710 in Half Moon Bay CA but they are licensed and I assume that they would make legal IDs.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have not heard anything recently on 1710 kHz. Some years ago, there was a Russian pirate near Vancouver, but that station was shut down by the FCC. I was only able to detect a carrier on this frequency from my house. Later, classic country pirate near my house on 97.5 MHz appeared, and that station, too, was shut down by the FCC.

[Note: if memory serves me correctly, these stations signed off voluntarily after they received notices of apparent liability from the FCC.]

Borderblaster
    Participant

1710 kHz not an am x band frequency allocation
    KHMV-LP is 100w on 100.9 MHz
    under Part 15 rules, no FCC license is required
    go find your “Pirate” elsewhere

Andy Brown
    Participant

To clarify:

1710 is not available for anything more than micro radio and must be compliant with Part 15 which means less then a mile of coverage in most applications. It is not nor is any micro broadcaster “licensed” under Part 15. Part 15 is a set of rules that includes among many other topics the maximum radiation across the entire electromagnetic spectrum allowed for any electronic device.

While 1710 kHz appears on many radios, it is unused even by TIS stations, exception being TIS (WQFG689) licensed with a waiver to the Hudson County, New Jersey. This is because aeronautical radio navigation may use 1708 kHz. It has also been a popular frequency with both Part 15 and North American MW pirate radio station operators especially in the Midwest and east coast of the United States.

If you plug in KHMV, the low-power FM station licensed to Half Moon Bay, California, that also broadcasts on 1710 AM into the FCC AM Query you will find there are no such call letters issued to anyone.

Just another pirate looking to get their ass fined.

jr_tech
    Participant
    boisebill
    Participant

§ 15.219 says 510-1705 kHz so 1710 is not legal for that type of emission.
    § 15.223 1.710 – 10 MHz is really restrictive (bandwidth/signal levels).

KHMV-LP is licensed under part 73 Sub-part G not Part 15.
    Application Search Details
    File Number: BLL-20150130BGW
    Call Sign: KHMV-LP
    Facility Id: 191762
    FRN: 0022843346
    Applicant Name: COMMUNITY MEDIA FOUNDATION
    Frequency: 100.9
    Channel: 265
    Community of License: HALF MOON BAY, CA, CA
    Application Type: LICENSE TO COVER
    Status Date: 02/02/2015

Borderblaster
    Participant

To clarify:
    1710 kHz is not an am x band frequency allocation
    KHMV-LP is 100w on 100.9 MHz
    go find your “Pirate” elsewhere

jr_tech
    Participant
    DarkStar
    Participant

To get back on topic, maybe this is Jerry Gaule’s Classic Gold Radio/American Senior Radio Network (ASRN)?

I know he has put it on Part 15 off and on for the last few years from Vancouver so maybe he is doing it again.

https://www.facebook.com/ASRN1/
    http://members.tripod.com/ccais/ASRN.html
    http://station.voscast.com/52c6f9d311f1c/

boisebill
    Participant

If they were or are on 1710 then that’s a “Pirate” no matter what the power level.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.