Chasing the Moon

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

PBS The American Experience (KOPB channel 10) is running a great documentary this week about the space race to get to the moon. The vintage photography and sounds are masterfully reproduced, along with interesting tidbits such as ex-Nazi rocket engineer Wernher von Braun leading up NASA development, and murky circumstances that prevented Ed Dwight, Jr. from becoming the first African-American astronaut.

The 50th anniversary of humans setting foot on the moon is coming up on July 20. This is an excellent documentary about how it wasn’t a yellow brick road getting from Cape Canaveral to the moon.

Brianl
    Participant

A must-see (if you’re into this stuff) is the Apollo exhibit at the International Air and Space Museum in Seattle. We hit it on the way north last week with our niece, and it is spectacular. It is the only stop the Smithsonian is making with the exhibit on the west coast.

lastday
    Participant

These documentaries are great. CNN did one called Apollo 11 that contains a lot of previously unseen footage. There’s no narrator, just actual recorded audio between mission control and the astronauts. Good stuff.

paulwalker
    Participant

I have not seen the PBS show, but I agree the CNN special was terrific. It is important that NASA caught great footage of everything, and it is indeed impressive. I’m so glad this footage has been released so many generations can see what probably was the greatest accomplishment of the 20th century.

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up, Dan! I’ve already read some recent books about the moon race coming out the year of the 50th anniversary. Love this stuff.

I’ll have to watch it from the beginning online. Here’s part 1:

https://watch.opb.org/video/chasing-the-moon-part-1-kpyzvq/

Andrew
    Participant

Just watched the third and final episode. Great documentary! Nice perspective, different from the other documentaries I’ve seen about the Apollo program.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

This NASA commisioned video was made shortly after Apollo 11 returned to earth and recaps the journey in the context of that time,

semoochie
    Participant

I can’t quite get over the idea of “50 years ago” being 1969 and not 1919!

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Last week on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, a modern group of engineers find, restore and operate the original Apollo computer system to re-create the lunar touchdown. As the Lunar Module was descending to the moons surface, the guidance computer became overwhelmed with input and rebooted. Captain Neil Armstrong had to manually take control to safely land.

This re-creation was performed to many of the original NASA Apollo engineering team, now 80 and 90 years old, that designed, programmed and implemented the greatest technical feat of mankind — on just 4 kilobytes of RAM.

paulwalker
    Participant

Semoochie said, “I can’t quite get over the idea of “50 years ago” being 1969 and not 1919!”

Tell me about it. I turn 60 tomorrow, and I think Dan is either just right behind or a little ahead. But I can’t believe the amount of technological progress made in the past 60 years. It really is incredible if you go back to the first Wright Brothers Flight to the Apollo moon walk, a period of just 66 years. Wow.

semoochie
    Participant

Speaking of technology, I just read that they came up with a wearable air conditioner/heater that knocks up to 23 degrees off your body temperature or adds 14 degrees to it and is controlled by your smartphone!

Broadway
    Participant

lastday
    Participant

Finally saw First Man, which is centered on the career of Neil Armstrong. Highly recommended.

Andrew
    Participant

Seconded. Really enjoyed First Man also.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.