Channels 32 and 6

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

johnf
    Participant

I see on the Puget Sound Media website (pugetsound.media) that the Nexstar Media Group acquisition of the Tribune stations has been approved. So, looking at the Portland market, what does that mean for KRCW Channel 32 (“Portland’s CW”) in relation to KOIN-TV 6? Consolidated studios and offices?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Also Nexstar (KOIN) has translators all over the state. I have never had any luck with Tribune (32) out here on the North Oregon Coast. This will be interesting. If we do get 32 out here in time, they may wait until 3.0 when they can stack everything on one channel.

washnotore
    Participant

How much more longer will KGW’s 10:00 PM Newscast remain on CW 32. It has been a long time. Since KOIN did a 10:00 PM newscast. I remember being seen on KPDX 49.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Consolidated studios and offices?”

Nexstar has a long term lease on the KOIN studios. Tribune owns the Ch. 32 building and STL tower in Beaverton. My guess is that it all moves to KOIN downtown, a larger facility, and they sell the Ch. 32 building. I was last at the Beaverton facility about a year ago and it was before the sale was announced. It was practically vacant sans a weekly sales meeting, one bookkeeper and one local production person. Much of the studio equipment was gone. MCR was basically gutted and from an engineering perspective, it was nothing more than a relay point. Programming comes down from Seattle on fiber and then is rerouted on fiber to the transmitter site, so the four earth stations outside the building were not in service and the microwave STLs were backups. There was a cellular tenant on the STL tower. One large room was piled with PCs and monitors taken out of service. I’m guessing it would just be too expensive to a)get out of the lease at the KOIN center and b)move KOIN’s local news operation to the Beaverton site. Then again, the TV business string pullers are not known for being very smart, so despite my guess, anything can happen. Whatever happens, it will probably take at least a year to transition to one place depending on what they have done so far in preparation.

washnotore
    Participant

KOIN now has a 10:00 PM newscast up and running on CW 32.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Let’s see what KGW does with KGWZ once the latter returns to the air. My guess is that KGW will use KGWZ for live local news in prime time, much like the way KPTV moves their news to KPDX in the evenings. They’ll probably fill the rest of KGWZ’s program day with syndicated fare and old movies overnight. Wouldn’t be surprised if KGWZ picks up MyTV and runs it as a full time subchannel. KRON In SF now does live local news in prime time and they seem to be doing pretty well. Meanwhile, I think a KOIN/KRCW channel share would be likely, which would expand the audience for KRCW’s CW programs on KOIN’s repeaters. KTLA in Los Angeles, by the way, announced over the weekend that their sale to Nexstar is now final by way of their Facebook page.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

KOIN has ended their contract with Decades (6.3) and is now carrying Bounce in that channel, per a chat on their FB page.

Damn, I will miss Decades.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That sucks. I do not need two copies of Bounce anyway, as Dish carries it and the channel is on demand on the Roku. The only 2 good diginets I get out here on the North Coast is now METV (2.2) and Get TV (6.2). At least the Sinclair diginets do stream on STIRR for free. I wish others did that too.
    I have not checked my big dish, as Decades was free on there, but I read elsewhere that CBS has shut down Decades and replaced it with Start TV. The info said, CBS wants more modern material. So I guess I do not need to check the big dish. It was fun while it lasted. Decades ran a lot of great old stuff. Still no OTA for Antenna TV, but there is a stream online.

msndrspdx
    Participant

As of this morning, Comcast Portland onscreen guide was still showing Decades listings in their grid. Comcast already carries Bounce off KPDX. Comcast will probably drop the KOIN duplicate and will keep Bounce. Decades is switching stations in several markets. In NYC, it’s moved from WCBS (CBS) to WNYW (Fox). My guess is that Decades lands at KRCW eventually, or maybe KGW/KGWZ.

And just to make things even more interesting, NBC has announced a new subchannel which will surface on all of the NBC owned stations (such as KNBC) in the next few weeks. It’s called LX (“Local X”). Stations in Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas will pick it up, too. LX’s website is already up and running, but very little program info. It’s being promoted with the tagline, “All News is local.” No sign of a Portland pickup yet, but since LX is NBC branded, I’d say KGW/KGWZ might get it.

washnotore
    Participant

KOIN and KRCW will not be carrying Decades. According to Rabbit Ears. KOIN was the last and only Nexstar Station to do so. There are other Nexstar Stations that do carry Weigel Broadcasting owned diginet such as Me-TV.

Another diginet that will be leaving soon is TBD. Which is currently shown on KRCW 32.4 .. And This TV will be replaced by Court TV. Escape is to be renamed Court TV Mysteries by the October 1. Currently being shown on KPDX 49.2 ..

mwdxer1
    Participant

What gets me, with so many available diginets out there, why are Portland stations running duplicates? It seems like a waste of band space and there is a lot less variety.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Portland’s diginet situation is a joke. Running the same networks on duplicate stations is an insult to viewers and not a wise financial decision by broadcasters. Meanwhile, stations are allowed to sit dark with no programming. Hopefully, networks like Decades and Movies! will make the transition to the internet.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I believe Decades is still FTA on satellite, but my big dish has some issues, so I have not checked, but the satellite lists them.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Portland isn’t the only place where subchannels are being duplicated on more than one station. Grit and Escape are running on two stations simultaneously in Phoenix and in Tucson as well, reportedly because of overlapping broadcast agreements. I’m surprised that This TV is apparently going to be dropped in Portland. Thanks to carriage on Comcast, it’s been doing pretty well. Court TV was noticeably aggressive in getting stations to carry them, and it looks like quite a few will start picking them up this week. Hopefully the folks at HC2 Who now control the former Watch TV stations (KOXO, etc.) will get their act together and get on the air and pick up the dropped channels, including Retro TV, which was dropped by KSLM earlier this year in favor of AMG. Let’s see what Comcast does on Tuesday (1 October) after all these subchannel changes take place.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Decades is indeed alive and well as I am still getting the updates on their channel via e mail. Too bad someone in Portland doesn’t have it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.