Channel 26.1 & 36.1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    yahmit
    Participant

So I noticed that Channel 36.1 is off the air in Salem and the website for this station is no longer active. Even though I never watched this station, any ideas what will happen with this signal? Could it be revived as a commercial operation and put on one of the networks we don’t have here yet?

washnotore
    Participant

According to the FCC. Both NWCB stations have been off the air for most of this year. Since the winter storm of December 2015 took KJYY/26 on Mt Scott out of service. Also according to there recent FCC Filing. There trying to get both stations back on the air again. But it needs to happen soon. Before the FCC cancel there license.

Broadway
    Participant

Think they might be toast…web site down in all links…no money to rebuild…??? The owners are very
    elderly…

yahmit
    Participant

Channel 36.1 was still broadcasting in September. They have probably run out of money to keep the Salem signal on the air.

jr_tech
    Participant

26.1 is clearly absent in the Portland area. Haven’t checked since last summer, so I don’t know when it disappeared. 16.1 is also missing today as well.

QPatrickEdwards
    Participant

FWIW, 36.1 is still on in Salem, but it seems that no one seems to be maintaining it, many of their sat feeds are not working well at all. Frankly, it wouldn’t be a big loss to Christianity if the station were to go away, maybe a gain.

yahmit
    Participant

I just checked an 36.1 is off. I live about 5 miles from the transmitter and I am pulling in all the other signals just fine. It would be great if the signal could be converted to a commercial operation.

yahmit
    Participant

Follow up.

I just dialed NWCB Phone number from a cache of the website and it has been disconnected. I think it is a safe bet that this station has gone dark.

jr_tech
    Participant

For sure 36.1, .2, .3 and .4 (not related to 26.1 Portland/36.1 Salem) are on the air in Portland from the old KATU tower, could this be what QPE is seeing?

yahmit
    Participant

Probably. 36.1 in Salem didn’t have any sub-channels.

Andy Brown
    Participant

jr tech, did you mean channel 35 in Portland?

jr_tech
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Here’s what’s confusing me, two Ch 36’s so close together that their primary contours (51 dBu) overlap. I was previously unaware of this.

Click for larger image

jr_tech
    Participant

Perhaps the FCC considered the Chehalem Mountains before granting the CP?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Usually it takes more then just the presence of mountains. Generally a showing is required, interference studies, etc. to justify any waiver of the rules.

If anyone is curious, the answer is probably contained in the application of whichever of the two applied second.

I am not familiar with LD (LPTV) spacing rules, but 74.707 seems to indicate that the protected contours are 74 dBu for stations on Channels 14 through 69, which would answer the question raised and make moot the need for any showing beyond drawing the 74 dBu contours.

https://is.gd/n2o5q4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.