Central & Eastern Oregon Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Central & Eastern Oregon Radio Happenings

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Horizontal only polarization has other weaknesses separate from the receiving antenna orientation, especially when it’s fairly close to the ground. Having said that, in hilly terrain it is often preferred.

This study in support of H only used cars with vertical whips, though.

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_254-gregorac.pdf

There are many variables but the most important one is where is the target area and what is the terrain between the antenna and the target (and the distance).

Remember, natural topography causes reflections and when you send out the signal polarized only H or only V, it can get twisted. End of story, almost, but modern in window antennae, like Alfredo pointed out, are J shaped and are circularly polarized so they can receive most anything in any orientation. Transmitting circular pol helps to reduce flutter because even if it gets twisted, there’s still components in both planes. Also, H or V only transmitting results in more multipath issues.

https://cdn.thomasnet.com/ccp/10014548/223252.pdf

Shirley Knott
    Participant

The 60dbu of the new signal should clear both Hood River and Goldendale whereas the current one does not.

Seems like a perfect path to turning on a little on channel booster in each town. Once you have a 60 dBu contour, you’ve got a clear shot at a booster.

chessyduck
    Participant

Cool… Jive Radio has posted photos of the KJYV antenna work.

https://jiveradio.org/new-waves-on-the-river/

(The site also has a note about some recent KJIV Madras coverage issues )

chessyduck
    Participant

Filed 6/10/2020 (FCCDATA.ORG) KJDY LLC has signed a purchase agreement to acquire Burns outlets KSQB (FM), KYQT-AM and K256DC for $60,000. The seller is Alexandra Communications, a Northwest ownwership group.

(These Burns stations were on the market last priced at $80K. KJDY LLC also has a lot of cross-ownership interested, see My Eastern Oregon , myEO.)

chessyduck
    Participant

Bend is getting a booster… the FM on-channel type. KJIV 96.5 obtained a construction permit for a one-watt booster near the edge of their 60dBu contour. It will be on a building with a pole (BPOLE) totaling 14.1 meters. The beam will be towards the northeast at 40 degrees.

KJIV broadcasts from the top of Grizzly Mountain near Prineville at 1kw ERP. They have an amazing music selection, available also at jiveradio.org .

chessyduck
    Participant

FM 92.7 in Burns has a new set of call letters – KZHC-FM. The AM side, KYQT, remains the same.

chessyduck
    Participant

Fields Pond Group has entered into an agreement to sell KICE to the Dove Media Center of Medford. KICE is licensed to Terrebonne but targets Bend from Powell Butte. It runs 2400 watts ERP at 94.9 Mhz at 582M HAAT, the C2 class max. The transfer price is listed as $315,000 per FCCDATA.ORG files. KICE has been running Fox Sports (previously ESPN Radio).

Dove Media owns a number of radio stations and is involved in cable and LPTV. (Nice market addition – the Bend area already has seven religious-programmed signals – KICE will make that eight.)

One trade press article said KICE “blankets the area.” If you look at the simple FCC 60dbU contour one would agree at first. Run the technical parameters through a Longley-Rice terrain-based propagation model and you will observe KICE’s many dead-signal zones. Like Medford, Bend’s terrain requires a translator or booster to make things work best.

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t realize that the KICE calls had been reassigned. They used to one of two Bend FM stations.

chessyduck
    Participant

KICE FM used to be KCOE.. “Central Oregon ESPN”, originally relaying the former AN 940 KGRL in some sort of LMA arrangement.. We all know what happened to AM 940 – still waiting for KWBY Woodburn to fire up those 10 kilowatts.

chessyduck
    Participant

KICE FM used to be KCOE.. “Central Oregon ESPN”, originally relaying the former AN 940 KGRL in some sort of LMA arrangement.. We all know what happened to AM 940 – still waiting for KWBY Woodburn to fire up those 10 kilowatts.

BTW, one of my first over-the-Cascades DX catches was the old KICE on 100.7. Troposcatter coupled with knife-edge defraction I suppose. Troposcatter, while common east of the Rockies is fairly rare in the Northwest…

chessyduck
    Participant

As of 9 October the FCC has approved the sale of KICE 94.9 FM in Terrebonne to Dove Media. Fox Sports Radio in Central Oregon will soon be history!

boisebill
    Participant

The old KICE 100.7 was fun to listen to.
    They were a regular in Boise with tropo.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Years ago when I had my Pioneer TX9100 with a Windgard 6065 FM Yagi, I used to hear several Central & Eastern Oregon stations including KICE. KWHT 103.5 I still hear from time to time from here on the coast.

Screamer
    Participant

Does this mean there will be no Sports station in Bend?

Screamer
    Participant

I was just looking on Radio Locator. There are 9 Religious broadcastors in Bend, including the soon to be flipped KICE. How is that sustainable?

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 481 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.