Central & Eastern Oregon Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Central & Eastern Oregon Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

KWVR-FM Enterprise has applied to modify their Class A from 6KW @ -210 meters to 32 watts @ 534 meters from a new location. I was wondering if there might be a problem with building penetration, even in this small of a town. Here’s the new pattern: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101681576&qnum=5270&copynum=1&exhcnum=1 Here’s the licensed one: http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/contourplot.kml?gmap=3%26appid=626723%26call=KWVR-FM%26freq=92.1%26contour=60%26city=ENTERPRISE%26state=OR.kml

Andy Brown
    Participant

What building? Where?

In general, the answer is no or if you prefer not any different than normal. The COL is inside the 70 dBu, so again I ask what building? where?

semoochie
    Participant

I’m not really familiar with Enterprise but I’m guessing it has a main street with buildings that are three to seven stories high. I just thought 32 watts might be a little thin to receive inside these theoretical buildings.

jr_tech
    Participant

Drive around the downtown area a bit in the “Googlemobile”, I don’t see anything taller than about 3 stories. Pretty little town however!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Enterprise,+OR+97828/@45.425504,-117.277421,3a,66.8y,55.81h,90.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suZbkxQZAiWA6qjekGXNq9g!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x54a3f989267b6579:0xe9f23ce56433283b

Andy Brown
    Participant

If it’s inside the 60 dBu contour then the predicted electromagnetic field strength occurs at 50% of the receivers 50% of the time. Inside the 60 dBu contour, there is 60 dB above 1 mV per meter. Since most radios only need a fraction of that much to produce a good S/N at the audio output, I’m still going with my original answer which is no.

Sensitivity in a receiver is normally defined as the minimum input signal S_i required to produce a specified signal-to-noise S/N ratio at the output port of the receiver and is defined as the mean noise power at the input port of the receiver times the minimum required signal-to-noise ratio at the output of the receiver:

S_i = k(T_a+T_{rx})B{\cdot}\frac{S_o}{N_o}
    where

S_i = sensitivity [W]
    k = Boltzmann’s constant
    T_a = equivalent noise temperature in [K] of the source (e.g. antenna) at the input of the receiver
    T_{rx} = equivalent noise temperature in [K] of the receiver referred to the input of the receiver
    B = bandwidth [Hz]
    \frac{S_o}{N_o} = Required SNR at output [-]

Now if you choose a building that is built specifically to reject RF waves at VHF, then sure, you can have no success receiving FM radio inside the structure. But absent that case, you shouldn’t have any more trouble then you do normally. In fact, they are probably doing this move to get better coverage inside their new 60 dBu which isn’t much different than the old one, but elevation is very important in minimizing problems encountered when the antenna is lower then average terrain.

I have no problems picking up K296 107.1 inside the house with a very poor antenna. 28 watts. So again, I remind you that inside the primary coverage area (whatever that happens to be) it’s not about power, it’s about height and topography. Power is more relevant when you are comparing two signals from the same point and height at some distance.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you Andy and thank you Jr. for the tour.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KQXR/Boise Names Stino Cirigliano Afternoons/Asst. Production Director

STINO CIRIGLIANO has joined SCRIPPS MEDIA Active Rock KQXR (100.3 THE X ROCKS)/BOISE as its new afternoon host/Assistant Production Dir. STINO comes to KQXR from SUN BROADCASTING Active Rock WXNX (93X)/FORT MYERS, FL, where she was hosting nights.

Commented KQXR PD JEREMY NICOLATO: “We couldn’t be happier that STINO is taking over the #1 afternoon show in BOISE. She is an incredible talent that has an unbridled passion for all things rock. STINO loves the music, the live shows and the artists of THE X, which will make our listeners love her.”

STINO will debut in early SEPTEMBER and take over the 3p to 8p (MT) slot on THE X as well as commercial production responsibilities for SCRIPPS’ four-station cluster in BOISE. Current afternoon fill-in ADAM transitions back to his dominant role as evening host.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KQBL-HD3/Boise Debuts 92.7 The Alternative

IMPACT RADIO GROUP/BOISE, ID brings back Alternative on 92.7 FM translator (K244EP) via KQBL-HD3 as “92.7 – THE ALTERNATIVE.” The company previously had Alternative KQLZ (V99.1) in the market as a more broad-based Alternative station before flipping V99.1 to FM Talk four years ago.

GM DARRELL CALTON and OM KEVIN CRUISE describe the new station as being a more straight-ahead Alternative station.

IMPACT’s KQBL is the first commercial station to be airing HD in the market. KQBL-HD2 is now simulcasting KNFL-A and 96.5 FM (K243BM) “ESPN BOISE.”

Craig_Adams
    Participant

The Commission cancelled the license of GROWING CHRISTIAN FOUNDATION for K221EY/BEND, OR because the station had been off the air for over 12 months; the licensee had filed for an additional Silent STA after the license had expired by law, claiming that the translator had remained silent due to “inadvertence” and that another station had caused interference, causing K221EY to seek a channel change.

boisebill
    Participant

Common Frequency is trying to convince the FCC that 3 years to construct an FM station is too short.
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=62985

semoochie
    Participant

It looks like there’s a reply but we didn’t get that far. Since certain things are out of their hands, I would think they can get an extension.

boisebill
    Participant

I really see nothing there that the FCC will grant a waver on.
    The FCC’s all about taking responsibility for your actions or inactions.
    “It’s Dead Jim.”

boisebill
    Participant

Well ok then.
    FCC gave them a break since the had CP expired.

FM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR LICENSE TO COVER GRANTED
    —————————————————-
    ID BLED-20160126ACK KFOA 185150 COMMON COMMUNICATIONS NORTHWEST License to cover.
    E 97.3 MHZ WEISER, ID

Must have missed their testing. Scan by 97.3 a lot daily.

Broadway
    Participant
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

LAKE COUNTY RADIO LLC is selling Country KORV (93.5 THE GOOSE)/LAKEVIEW, OR to M&J RADIO, LLC for $84,000 ($1,000 down, the rest in a promissory note).

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.