CBS Decades

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jbpdx
    Participant

The new CBS Decades network is already on the air in about 20 cities. Can we expect KOIN to add it? Also, what’s up with the WatchTV-owned stations still off the air?

big89
    Participant

I emailed the programming department at KOIN, and this was the reply: “Thank you for the email. I’m sorry to let you know that I’m not able to talk about what our plans for the 6.2 are. Hopefully we will have some news about that after May.”

msndrspdx
    Participant

Well, now…this is the first indication that Ch. 6 has even considered adding a multicast. The fact that they can’t say anything about it until May raises an air of mystery around the subject.

Add to this the announcement that KPTV & KPDX will add multis this summer, and the forthcoming takeover of KPXG by Daystar, which will force Ion et al to move somewhere! Could be an interesting summer!

Best, Mike 😉

washnotore
    Participant

ION Network is staying put on KPXG-TV 22. It’s the low power station KPXG-LP 42 that going to Daystar ownership. KGWZ-LP currently has Daystar programing.

At one time KOIN and KPTV did have second digital channel before 2010. The second channel was broadcasting SD feed of each station.

Before KOIN, KPTV and KPDX start these new feeds. A new encoder will have to be installed. Many station around the nation are making this upgrade in digicast services.

Scott Young
    Participant

At KOIN during the years between the digital debut and the sunset of the analog, we put the digital subchannels to good use during March Madness. As I recall whenever we aired an HD game it was on 6-1, with another game on 6-2 in SD. When we weren’t airing an HD game we put SD games on 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3. The analog usually was a simulcast of 6-1, but not always. We had the means to do local spot insertion on three streams. That was pretty wild trying to run local breaks in three games at once in a room that wasn’t designed for multicasting. Fortunately we had two preview busses so we could see and hear all three games…more or less. Good times!

Jbpdx
    Participant

Daystar will likely use KGWZ-46 until its lease is up (?) After that KGW could use it for one or more networks. Still available: Bounce, Escape, Movies!, WeatherNation, UniMas.

itsvern
    Participant

I’m glad ION is staying on KPXG. What would Daystar do with the other sub channels on KPXG? I remember the Koin Tv March Madness Multicasts. I enjoyed watching them. Zap@It has has a listing for 6.2 Skycam but now Koin Cbs is on 6.1 and 6.2 and Skycam on 6.3.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Here on the Northern Oregon coast, all of the added sub channels are great. For years we were starved for OTA TV, but now as stations add sub channels, it is fantastic. We are up to 10 now, and with the additions on KPTV and KPDX, add Decades in, that will give us 16 channels. KATU still needs go to digital out here, the last translator to switch, but that will be this Summer. UHF antennas are getting quite popular. Love it. More the merrier. We also have 6 or 7 CPs, but none are on as yet.

paulwalker
    Participant

The subchannels are nice, even here in Tri-Cities, there is a KHQ Spokane sub that offers Eastern WA sports and weather 24/7, kind of like it.

Also, in other cable news, Esquire TV has taken over “Style”, and done a complete 360, turning it into more of an urban male version of what it once was. On basic cable in the Tri, great potential here, with more male-oriented programming, and not just for gays. Kind of like what I am seeing so far. Owned by NBC/Universal. I think this one will expand.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Terrestrial broadcasters will have to spend the bucks for hardware to max out their bandwidth with sub channels because their prime competition can do more with less. Cable is not bound to 19 MBbps and uses 38 in their 6 MHz channels. Satellite has more bandwidth and no limits on compression either. As jbpdx suggests, there is still plenty of programming streams available in this (and more than likely many other) market(s). More sub channels means more potential revenue from commercials and after all, that’s what TV stations are on the air for.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Andy,

I remember a GM at a Portland TV station stating that the spots are why the station is there, the programming was secondary. That was back in the 60s. But of course, the programming is important to attract viewers that will buy the products the advertisers are selling, so they work hand in hand. Some believe the digital change has been a new cash cow for OTA TV. The classic TV nets seem to be doing well, especially METV.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.