CA next to legalize pot?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Sure seems like it!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/11/03/calif-legal-pot-efforts-get-push-sean-parker-backed-measure/75088616/

Efforts to legalize recreational marijuana in California appear to be coalescing behind a well-funded ballot initiative boasting well-connected sponsors, including billionaire Sean Parker, the co-founder of Napster and Facebook’s first president.

Public opinion polls indicate California voters are ready to legalize pot, which has left advocates jockeying to see which of more than a dozen proposed initiatives ends up before voters.

In announcing the newest plan, backers noted that it’s being supported by the Drug Policy Alliance, the Marijuana Policy Project and the California Cannabis Industry Association, which are all major players in the legalization movement. The initiative itself is being managed by a Sacramento-based law firm well known for its expertise in managing ballot measures, said Eddie Miller, the CEO of InvestInCannabis.com.

Four other states already permit recreational cannabis use, but advocates say California’s sheer size and position as a cultural trendsetter for the rest of the country means any decision by its voters could accelerate legalization elsewhere. And the stakes are huge. Experts say legal marijuana could be worth billions for California, not just through taxes, but through an entirely new network of licensed cultivation, distribution and testing facilities, all of which will need employees, construction workers and equipment.

paulwalker
    Participant

The more states that legalize will be put feds in the corner. And in this scenerio, the feds will lose. If a majority of state pass it, it will be the law of the land. However, there is still work to do here. This is not certain yet, however, Obama has not challenged any of the the State initiatvies, and very likely will not.

Vitalogy
    Participant

It’s certain. This is a tide that is turning and there’s no turning back. Prohibition is a failure.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yep. Most people under 35 are totally there now. The numbers among my own generation, Gen X, are kind of shocking. Tons of ’em, even the conservative ones I sort of wrote off are all basically on board.

Number one reason: Jobs

Number two reason: Costs and the harm done by war on drugs

The fun part is seeing people actually go and enjoy pot! We’ve shared an experience or two here and that’s going on all over the State with largely benign and sometimes positive outcomes.

Who would have ever thought? Seriously.

duxrule
    Participant

Ohio said no.

missing_kskd
    Participant

And they said no due to the effort being linked to an oligarchy consisting of 10 specific plots of land, owned by the people supporting the measure to legalize.

Overall voter sentiment is “yes”, but doing that wasn’t worth locking in a monopoly for a few people.

paulwalker
    Participant

This will be a slow process, but I believe it to come to fruition. At some point even a Republican President and majority in congress will be without any power.

Personally, I don’t care for it, and even while I legally am able to to buy it, I don’t. Can’t say I ever will though.

These are interesting times with this issue. I think a GOP/DEM win could help determine the final outcome, but (final) is never quite what it means.

This issue will certainly be one to watch, and how the States react will be the tell-tale.

Will pot be legal in all 50 states in 2020? What do you think? Will it become federal law, or will states still have the ultimate authority? One question for the ages!

missing_kskd
    Participant

I think the Federal Government will do it. Make it legal, and incorporate a sweet deal for tobacco and pharmaceutical companies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.