Bustos Media silents (STA) 1130 & 1210

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Bustos Media silents (STA) 1130 & 1210

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Has it been there for 97 years or did they move?

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

I believe the current KBPS tower was constructed in the late 1950s.

chessyduck
    Participant

And … as expected the KCKX Stayton STA paperwork has been submitted by Edward Distell. According to the form the station went silent on 4 Apr.

BECAUSE OF ECONOMIC CONDITIONS CAUSED BY THE CURRENT CORONAVIRUS EMERGENCY AFFLICTING OUR COUNTRY, A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE FOR KCKX TO TEMPORARILY BE SILENT UNTIL ECONOMIC CONDITIONS IMPROVE.

THE PUBLIC INTEREST, CONVENIENCE AND NECESSITY WOULD BE WELL SERVED BY A GRANT OF A 180 DAY SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORIZATION TO PERMIT KCKX, A MINORITY OWNED BROADCAST STATION, TO BE SILENT

Of course, during its final days it was not carrying Bustos programming but rather the Seattle Hispanic religious group’s content.

semoochie
    Participant

Steve, what I meant to ask was, did the tower used to be in a different location ie. Is that where it was when they shared time with KXL and if so, was it an actual tower or a longwire?.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KBPS moved their transmitter (and antenna I’m assuming) from <unknown site in 1923> <possibly the roof of the first building> to the roof of another building on campus in 1930. Sharing the transmitter with KXL is mentioned on the paperwork. In 1939 KXL tendered an application to change frequency from 1420 to 1110, but then withdrew the application. KBPS applied for unlimited hours contingent on the KXL application being approved but the FCC dismissed KBPS application after KXL withdrew theirs.In 1941, an application to install a new transmitter, increase power from 100 W. to 250 W. and install a new antenna system was submitted and dismissed. The last mention of KXL sharing is dated 1943. In 1947 the same application was submitted and amended in 1948. Then a construction permit granted in 1949. The license to cover was issued in December of 1950. That is the current antenna, by the way, and that is consistent with the label on page 17 of the document Steve has posted showing the existing tower as labeled 1950. In 1970, an application to increase power from 250 W. to 1.0 kW was initially granted, then set aside as Mrs. Catherine Murphy, licensee of KVAN 1480 filed a petition for reconsideration. The settlement was approved and power was increased. I don’t know what Murphy got out of the deal, but KVAN was then not yet at the site it occupies today in the swamp on N. Portland Road.

Source: FCC History Cards for KBPS

Picking up the story in 1976 when I got to Portland, Howard Slobodin filed something with the commission after he took over KVAN because KBPS at 1 kW was apparently short spaced at a full kilowatt of power to KVAN when it was at the site near the old KGW towers (before moving to N. Portland Road, that’s probably why Murphy filed the petition mentioned in the previous paragraph). Then when KVAN’s tower went sideways and they used a long wire, and then moved to N. Portland Road without making application, the FCC came down hard and told her heir, Ada Brown (niece) that the license must be forfeited and that’s how Howard got the station. Apparently from N. Portland Road the short spacing was even less significant than at the former site and Howard never got KBPS to turn down from the 1 kW they were at and remain today.

The Big B.A. probably remembers some of the details from back then. I’d ask Howard, but since he moved to Austin to be near Little Howie, his son, in about 2004, I haven’t heard from him nor do I have an email address or phone number.

So there was apparently three locations for the KBPS tower. The first is unknown but probably on the campus somewhere and the second was on top of a campus building that existed in 1930, respectively and then where it is now. Buildings built after 1950 including the very near by gymnasium probably corrupted the ground field. So far, I have not been able to find any information on the early antennae nor when they gave up on a series feed and went to shunt feed service, which crippled their signal if you ask me. If you remember how poorly 1410 performed from Healey Heights before Stonehenge was built, you know why shunt feeds have such a questionable reputation in broadcast. The fact that amateur radio operators love them is that they’re cheap to implement and have great skywave. Great skywave is not something you want on a 1410 local service AM, but it explains why in the last thirty to forty years DXrs around the world can pick up KBPS.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Andy Brown.
    Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Before the current KBPS tower was constructed, the antenna system was on the main Benson building. Here is a video produced by the Benson Class of 1956 for their 50th reunion. There are lots of historical Benson pictures around 5 minutes in and 28 minutes in. There is some material specific to the Class of 56 reunion activities, but I saved a copy of the video for the historical significance of Benson. Also, notice in some pictures there is no I-84 freeway and no Lloyd Center Mall yet.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you Andy, you are my new best friend and Steve, you get honorable mention! 🙂

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Here is a 1938 aerial photo of the Benson High School area. This photo may offer more clarity than the ones in the above YouTube video.

https://vintageportland.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/a2010-001-82-aerial-ne-portland-sullivans-gulch-1938.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.