Bustos Media silents (STA) 1130 & 1210

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Bustos Media silents (STA) 1130 & 1210

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    vrooms
    Participant

From Mike Cherry IRCA Reflector. Bustos Media stations 1210 KMIA Auburn/Seattle & 1130 KXET MT Angel/Salem OR have gone silent & are filing STA’s for indefinite length of time.

chessyduck
    Participant

Interesting… I coukd readily understand KXET going silent as that was running Vietnamese (or maybe returned to Russian) but KMIA was just relaying Bustos’ La Pantera format, the same programming that is heard on KWBY in Woodburn. Perhaps tbe heavy power bill or extra syndication costs drove the decision. Hispanic radio stations depend a lot on cross-promotions with concert promoters and when the latter business halts things go south… I wonder what other stations will go silent..

To hear all of the Bustos Spanish products just download “La Rola” app for Android..

jr_tech
    Participant

Right now, from Hillsboro, I detect a strong carrier on 1130, with no modulation. They aren’t saving much power yet.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that I noticed the dead air on 1130 about two days ago. How is it that the station’s owners are totally clueless?

semoochie
    Participant

This should be good news for CKWX(no pun intended). They’re not terribly thrilled about having 25KW aimed straight at them, particularly during critical hours.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In the 1990s, when I volunteered at a university station, a fan or fans of co-channel WEOS would call our office line if a DJ forgot to turn off the transmitter at sign-off. This was taken quite seriously by the station’s management; if I recall, the first offense was a stern warning and the second was a suspension. We figured that the person(s) who had gone to the trouble of contacting us were doing us a courtesy; they could just as easily have filed a complaint with the FCC.

semoochie
    Participant

OK, it isn’t as definitive as I thought. The pattern goes out in all directions except southwest but Vancouver B.C. is certainly not immune to its effects.

chessyduck
    Participant

Checking La,Rola app KMIA was stilling running a ToH legal ID then the remainder as silence. I will have to check a KiwiSDR in the region to verify the RF side…

Chico
    Participant

From my actual location about 20 miles north of the towers, it is safe to say the 1210 carrier has been shut off. Would not shock me if it is never turned on again, as Bustos has their Z format on 2 FM rimshots that pretty well cover the I 5 corridor at this point. They already downgraded their signal, bailing out on their night array and returning to the original 2 stick array built originally when it was on 1220 as KASY.

I mean, they may flick it on every now and again to keep the license, but then again…

I con now for the first time from my house really hear 1200 Vancouver BC. So there’s THAT I suppose.

KMIA, indeed. Prophetic calls, no?

Broadway
    Participant

Salem 1390 and Stayton 1460 is also off air.

chessyduck
    Participant

Concerning 1390 and 1460 I noticed La Estación de la Familia was having audio issues feeding the stations so there was frequent desd air the last few days.. These stations would breakaway with Portland-targeted programming but only the KRYN Gresham ID was heard.

The Seattle-based La Estación de la Familia has a website with an audio feed but the rest seems btoken. Laestaciondelafamilia.org.

As the economy takes a hard downturn, many non-commercial stations will go silent , NFCB bailouts not withstanding for the non-religious ones

chessyduck
    Participant

How timely… On 7 April the FCC granted Bustos’ STA request for KGDD 1150 AM to remain silent , a request submitted back in early March. Here’s the core argument.

EXTENSION REQUEST 3/9/20:

ON APRIL 17, 2019, BUSTOS MEDIA HOLDINGS, LLC WAS GRANTED A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT, FILE NO. BP-20190213ABJ, TO RELOCATE KGDD(AM)’S TRANSMITTER SITE TO A TOWER OWNED BY THE PORTLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT (PSD) WHICH IS USED BY AM BROADCAST STATION KBPS, 1450 KHZ, PORTLAND, OREGON. KGDD WOULD DIPLEX WITH KBPS ON THIS TOWER.

AS WE REPORTED IN OUR MOST RECENT STA EXTENSION REQUEST OF AUGUST 24, 2019, WE WERE INFORMED BY PSD THAT IT IS MAKING MAJOR MAJOR RENOVATIONS AT BENSON HIGH SCHOOL, WHERE THE KBPS TOWER IS LOCATED. AS PART OF THAT RENOVATION THE PSD IS DECIDING IF THEY WANT TO RELOCATE THE TOWER TO ANOTHER PART OF THE SCHOOL CAMPUS.

AS OF THIS WRITING, PSD HAS NOT YET COMPLETED THE BENSON HIGH SCHOOL RENOVATIONS. THEREFORE, THEY WILL NOT PERMIT ANY ADDITIONS TO THE TOWER UNTIL THE RENOVATIONS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AND PSD HAS MADE A FINAL DECISION ON WHETHER OR NOT TO MOVE ITS TOWER TO ANOTHER LOCATION ON THE BENSON HIGH SCHOOL PROPERTY.

THEREFORE, WE REQUEST AN EXTENSION OF OUR EXISTING SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORIZATION. THE PUBLIC INTEREST, CONVENIENCE AND NECESSITY WOULD BE WELL SERVED BY ITS GRANT. THIS WILL PERMIT US TO KEEP KGDD(AM) ON THE AIR WITH ITS SPANISH LANGUAGE FORMAT SERVING THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY IN THE PORTLAND AREA.
    —–
    ORIGINAL REQUEST:

KGDD’S TRANSMITTER SITE USE AGREEMENT HAS BEEN TERMINATED. IN ORDER TO KEEP THE STATION ON THE AIR UNTIL A NEW PERMANENT TRANSMITTER SITE CAN BE OBTAINED AND AN FCC APPLICATION GRANTED TO PERMIT USE OF SAID NEW SITE, THE LICENSEE HAS OBTAINED ‘TRAVELER’S INFORMATION STATION’ EQUIPMENT WHICH WILL BE OPERATED FROM ATOP THE ROOF OF THE HEADQUARTERS OF BUSTOS MEDIA HOLDINGS, LLC AT 5110 SE STARK STREET, PORTLAND, OREGON 97215.

THE PUBLIC INTEREST, CONVENIENCE AND NECESSITY WILL BE WELL SERVED BY A GRANT OF THIS STA REQUEST, WHICH WILL ALLOW KGDD TO CONTINUE TO SERVE THE PUBLIC WHILE A PERMANENT SITE IS OBTAINED.

THE ROOF OF OUR BUILDING IS 23 FEET (7.0 METERS) ABOVE GROUND LEVEL. THE EQUIPMENT IS TO BE LOCATED ON A BASE OF 3 FEET ABOVE THE ROOF LEVEL (0.9 METERS), AND THE WHIP ANTENNA OF THE STATION IS 18 FEET (5.5 METERS) TALL. THE OVERALL HEIGHT OF THE TIP OF THE ANTENNA ABOVE THE GROUND IS 44 FEET (13.4 METERS).

THE NUMERICAL INFORMATION IN THIS REQUEST HAS BEEN PROVIDED TO US BY CONSULTING RADIO ENGINEER BENJAMIN DAWSON OF HATFIELD AND DAWSON, SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, WHOSE QUALIFICATIONS ARE WELL KNOWN TO THE FCC

Andy Brown
    Participant

Reading between the lines . . . one might conclude that they (PSD) decided they don’t want Bustos on their tower. But in any event, don’t look for anything to happen for a year if they don’t relocate the tower and 2 – 3 years if they do.

As far as relocation, and after looking at a visual looking at the property, it’s unclear where they would relocate it to on the property. Right now, the tower is at the corner of a building. The ground field was probably compromised years ago when they expanded the campus buildings (or the time before that).

Now if they went ahead and put in a new ground field and moved the tower, they probably would significantly improve their signal. Bustos signal would still be slightly compromised unless they increase the tower height. It’s a little short for 1150 kHz. I did the math back when we discussed this after the proposal became public. The electrical length per the FCC records of the tower for 1450 is 106.1º

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=4782

That converts to a height of 60.977 meters which is 200 feet. 90º is a quarter wave. 106.1º would be 0.295, greater than a quarter wave by a little. However, at 1150, a quarter wave is 65.2 meters which is 214 feet. So they would need to add a section to the tower to be a full quarter wave. It’s not much and probably not worth the trouble. The lack of a good ground field is far more worth the investment as far as improving signals of both potential frequencies coming off the tower. Plus it’s shunt fed (probably as a result of chewing up the ground field in a former expansion, an option often used when the ground field is nonexistent or compromised) which IMO sucks. So as far as performance, I don’t think either principal in the deal gives a damn. The larger question, assuming they really want to move it and not just get rid of Bustos by sweeping their initial decision under the carpet, is where on the property could they put it without sacrificing the track. See for yourself here:

Andy Brown
    Participant

Click on image for a larger version. I left it at 2MB for better resolution, so it takes a few seconds to load the first time until your browser caches it.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

All of the information and planning I have seen shows the KBPS tower staying where is currently is. Here is a 34 page public presentation by the Benson Design Advisory Group (DAG) on 1/30/2020.

https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/62/Community%20Presentation-200130.pdf

Check out pages 9, 17 and 19. Some of the KBPS rooms are incorrectly labeled and I have submitted corrections.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.