Brock & Salk now on The Fan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    warner
    Participant

Rhome is dropped and replaced by Seattle duo Brock & Salk. Canzano show taking calls, and getting beat up pretty bad. This could be a huge mistake, for sure. Rhome jumped the shark awhile ago, but PDX sports fans do not want to hear all about Seattle sports.

Brock and Salk are on The Game!

Chico
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t get this one. This is a highly rated show in Seattle, so there is no way they are going to “tailor” any content for the PDX market. SO why would many folks down your way want to listen to a show that ignores your local sports scene and actively hates the Ducks? I mean, Brock was a Husky quarterback, for crying out loud.

Yes, they already are simulcast in Yakima, Tri-cities, and Spokane. But Portland???

Thoughts?

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, I have a thought or two or three.

First, this is a Seattle sports show. If they try to skew it to Portland it will not only fail in Portland, but fail in Seattle.

Second, their main topics are Seahawks, Mariners, Huskies.

Third, these guys are Seattle homers true and true.

I don’t expect this show to last in Portland more than 6 months. It is a place-holder, no doubt.

Brianl
    Participant

Brock draws the ire of many Cougs as well, though I find him to be very objective and non-biased. He’s very good.

It has to be some kind of placeholder for something I imagine – it’s not live (delayed two hours), and not local.

warner
    Participant

Hey Brian!

Yeah, I didn’t hear one positive call about it. I don’t listen to Canzano any more, he pissed me off too many times. But I did yesterday for awhile.

In additional Game news, Fletch is leaving as well. No word on what will happen going forward on the 3pm slot.

semoochie
    Participant

Could they be headed to a simulcast?

W7PAT
    Participant

Too bad there isn’t a true Vancouver station that could pick up their program. It won’t fly in Oregon. So far, I have not heard one mention about the Blazers, Winterhawks, or Timbers, so why would a Portlander listen to these guys?

paulwalker
    Participant

That’s OK W7PAT, they rarely talk about the Sounders, either, even when they won the championship. It is 75-85% Seahawks depending on the season, then the crumbs fall to the Mariners, Huskies, and occasionally Cougars, but not much on them, probably more of a piddling offer to the eastern WA affiliates.

I am not hearing anything Portland either. I think that is actually smart, as I wrote earlier…it won’t help them in Seattle to talk Portland, and they know where their bread is buttered.

Brianl
    Participant

Well, the Seahawks and M’s do pull a lot of clout down here.

I still think this has to be something temporary.

Oh, and Hi Warner 😊

W7PAT
    Participant

As you know, Portlanders are expected to be fans of the SeaHawks and Mariners, but Seattle fans don’t have to be fans of the Blazers. Same old story.

paulwalker
    Participant

I have never expected Portlanders to be fans of the Hawks and Mariners. (Though, I agree with Brian that there is a strong fan following in Portland, perhaps more for the M’s than the Hawks. This might have changed in recent years).

I have always believed that there is also a strong fan base of Seattle teams, both pro and college, in Vancouver. Since Vancouver is part of the Portland media market, there is a case to be made for coverage. And for the most part, the coverage has been decent in Portland. Again, moreso for the Hawks only in recent years. I remember a time in the 80’s and 90’s when Portlanders complained incessantly about Hawks games being shown on local tv, and they were likely correct due to the way the team was playing back then.

But back on topic…Brock & Salk is not right for Portland. Portland knows it, and Brock & Salk know it.
    I will say it again, this won’t last.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.