Broadcasters Cope With Columbus Day Storm

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Broadcasters Cope With Columbus Day Storm

This topic contains 31 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  W7PAT 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Chico
    Participant

It was actually KING-AM up in the Space Needle. I only know this because I have a world’s fair postcard with a picture of their air studio in the obs deck of the needle. The storm ended the world’s fair a week early. And it ended my parent’s wedding rehearsal in Tacoma as well! Nice timing, huh? And on a Friday the 13th to boot. They did end up getting married the next day anyway, but missing many of the guests from OR and SW WA, including my uncle the best man. Who also happened to be a lineman for Cowlitz County PUD- which meant he was busy for a little while…like 3 months without a day off. Mom says it was OK, even though they had no power and my great Aunt Laura insisted the whole thing was a bad sign for the marriage. Glad to say Aunt Laura was wrong.

semoochie
    Participant

My dad and I were picking my mother up from work. I remember the sky looking funny but don’t recall just how. After awhile, we became concerned that we would lose the 13 foot Teardrop travel trailer that had arrived at our house the day before, having won it, as the grand prize of Eastport Plaza’s second birthday. As luck would have it, the trailer was sandwiched between the house, adjoining garage and the house next door. It came through unscathed. We listened to KGW in our dark house, illuminated by candles and I thought it was the only station on, what with them making note of the emergency generator and everything. We lived a lot closer to KEX!

kennewickman
    Participant

Ya, there were different radio stations that got to use that studio up there on the Space Needle. KIRO and KING took turns, and there might have been others , like KIXI….I went to the worlds fair twice that summer of 62′. The first time I got stuck in front of the KING glassed in booth on the fairway close to the Pacific science center…I stood there for hours watching the DJ juggle carts, do breaks and where the music came from..I dont know, probably at the studio…ALL CARTS, no records…if they had those it was back at the studio…which I could’nt figure out for a long time until I saw one up close thru the window and saw that it was TAPE in those square plastic things…HUH ?? surprised me..but I knew what tape was because my grandfather had a Wollensak reel to reel recorder. My parents banned me from staying at the radio booth on our next visit…Well it didnt matter, because the next time I saw that no one was in the glass studio…maybe that was a day they were broadcasting from the top of the Space Needle !!!

KING had their booth downstairs at that first time…They shared time on the top of the Needle, I am pretty sure….

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Hey Great Stories!

What I’m amazed at is the timing of this thread “taking off” NOW which was originally launched on the storm anniversary 216 days ago! Keep them coming, very interesting accounts!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

paulwalker
    Participant

Earlier I mentioned I thought my Seattle family was in Portland for the Columbus Day storm, perhaps for a football game. Sure enough, Oregon State played Washington the following day, October 13th at Multnomah Stadium. Washington won 14-13. Two things are surprising to me, first that a game would be played a day after this storm, and second that I would remember being there at barely the age of three.

This from Wikipedia:

Until 1971, Columbus Day was celebrated on October 12th. In 1962, Columbus Day fell on a Friday, the day before the Washington-Oregon State game. At approximately five o’clock, the Columbus Day Storm, the strongest 20th century extratropical cyclone in the United States, struck. At Cape Blanco, on the Oregon Coast, winds reached 179 miles per hour, before the weather station was destroyed. Winds were milder in Portland, only reaching 116 miles per hour. The winds wrought havoc at Multnomah Stadium. A portion of the roof had flown off and destroyed several seats. Once the storm died down, clean-up crews began removing debris from the field. The field was in such bad shape that clean-up crews were still removing debris early in the game. Multnomah Stadium would not regain power until after the game had ended. The teams dressed and undressed by candlelight, and the scoreboard would remain out the entire game. The press described the field conditions as “turf resting on water.”

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Thought I would give this a bump as the 50th anniversary is this week.

Audio clip #6 from KGW radio, at http://pdxradio.com/History.html, is worth a listen.

kennewickman
    Participant

A low pressure area formerly known as ” Typhoon Freda “..crossing the Pacific from the South China Sea degerating into a tropical depression and then re-generating quickly in the Pacific off Northern California…but because it came to the North Lattitudes it became and un-named extratropical cylcone..

msndrspdx
    Participant

In 1962, i was 6 years old, my brother 4. We were living in Tigard at the time, at the foot of the hill where they were building the I-5/US 99w (now OR 99W) interchange at the time. We had a baby grand piano in the living room, and my brother and I took refuge underneath it during the storm. There was a big oak tree on our street (SW 59 Av.) at the time. The storm ripped it out by the roots–literally!–and dragged it about 2 1/2 blocks down the street. It sat at the roadside on that street for about three weeks, until they brought in a crew armed with saws to cut that enormous tree into pieces in order to haul it away. The screen blew down at the Family Drive-In Theatre down at the bottom of the hill on Barbur Blvd./99w, closing it down for about a year. We were regular vistors there…I remember seeing “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” and “The Pink Panther” (the ‘original!’) there…

Best, M. 8)

semoochie
    Participant

I hate to interrupt the proceedings but are you saying that US-99W is no longer a federal highway and now belongs to the state? When did this happen?

kennewickman
    Participant

A lot of those US Federal Hiways ..went that route !! US395 is now a WA. State hiway..I believe up here WA and probably in Central Oregon US 97 is still a US Hiway…into California and Nevada..

I know that in WA state US 99 is no longer US its Wa State route 99…this happened some time back…in the early 90s..

Another one that is still a US Hiway , I believe is US 12. Wa…Idaho..Montana and across the northern Tier to Maine…

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you! How did that go? Did the Federal Highway Dept. one day call the state and say something like, “You know those thousands of miles of highway that go through your state? Well, you’re going to have to pay for them from now on. We hate to just drop this on you like this. I hope you have the funds.”? Did they give a reason?

Andy Brown
    Participant

The system of United States Numbered Highways (often called U.S. Routes or U.S. Highways) is an integrated system of roads and highways in the United States numbered within a nationwide grid. As these highways were coordinated among the states, they are infrequently referred to as Federal Highways, but they have always been maintained by state or local governments since their initial designation in 1926

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Numbered_Highways

There’s more in the wiki page about renumbering and co routing with the Interstate Highway System.

I can’t find any info as to whether there is regular funding for the states to help maintain them or the Interstates.

That might explain why transportation bills come around in Congress so frequently.

msndrspdx
    Participant

US 99w (and 99E as well, plus the US 99 designations in WA, in OR south of Jct. City, and in CA) were demoted from Federal (US) highways to State highways in the mid-1970’s. Historic Route 66 between Chicago and Los Angeles was demoted from national highway to a collection of state highways at about the same time. The Interstate system was built right over the Route 66 alignment in several places, and the powers that be decided that this made the Route 66 designation redundant. (The “Historic 66” signage seen along the old alignments today are erected largely by local groups, although the ones in AZ are put up by the state.)

Best, M. 8)

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you for entertaining my tangent and now, back to the Classics IV. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.