Brits have voted to make UK great again.

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Brits have voted to make UK great again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Interesting parallels…

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

The exit vote was spurred in large part due to hysterical (and of course largely not fact based) immigration fears, racism, nativism, and overt nationalism. Yes, that’s a lot like Trump’s rhetoric. Congratulations?

The British exit is in the process of badly damaging both the British economy as well as causing catastrophic ripples across the world markets.

Of course you think it’s fantastic. You are nauseatingly predictable and unpleasant.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The Dow and the pound don’t think it’s great.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

• David Cameron has resigned.
    • The pound just hit a 32 year low.
    • Almost instantaneously, Great Britain is no longer the world’s 5th largest economy. It cannot be understated how adversely all of this may impact the union.
    • The Dow shed 500 points at the open.
    • About two trillion dollars in wealth have evaporated from world markets in the last several hours.
    • There are already calls for new independence votes in both Ireland and Scotland. We are likely witnessing the end of Great Britain; which in turn is highly likely to create more adverse macro financial ripples across the world
    • There are already fears that now others may exit the twenty eight nation EU; creating more instability and financial chaos which will no doubt lead to social unrest and a myriad of national security concerns.
    • And, again, the exit vote was almost entirely driven by ignorance, misinformation, and fear coupled with overt (and econimcally self harmful) nationalism and nativism.

Yes, this has been “great”. By all means, let’s have some of that kind of great over on this side of the pond.

And the GOP presumptive nominee just threw in his two cents on the matter. From HuffPo:

Trump arrived in Turnberry, Scotland on Friday to officially open his golf resort there and quickly embarrassed himself by tweeting that Scots were “going wild” over Britain’s decision to leave the EU. The majority of Scotland had voted to remain.

Asked about the uncertainty of the pound, Trump responded by pointing out how he stood to benefit from a weaker currency. It’s not the first time Trump has boasted about profiting off a weak economy.

“If the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry, frankly,” he said at a press conference. “For traveling and for other things, I think it very well could turn out to be positive.”

Spoken like a true statesman.

My addendum to that: Trump is an unbelievable sleaze.

They didn’t listen to Obama.

Bad week for Obama.

Bad week for the elites.

Do they have a court system that can overturn the will of the people on this?

Langston
    Participant

Scotland could do us a favor by detaining King Con.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I’m done talking to you. Seriously, fuck off.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Watched the BBC online live stream last night as the vote was coming in. It was compelling to watch as newscasters began asking the types of questions that was on the minds of many, “What now? What’s the next step?”

The Remain supporters, at least in some accounts listening to BBC radio this morning, were confident of a win by 10 points or less. Some saying even closer.

Some Leave supporters were surprised by the win. It seems there were two Leave movements, one focused on immigration the other on economy. And they had some serious confrontations on what a post Leave win would look like.

Amus
    Participant

The question is, will any Trump supporters see the shit storm this creates for the UK and have second thoughts?

I realize that would require a level of awareness that I really have no reason to expect.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Trump supporters run the gamut from neanderthal heathens all the way to self grandizing incompetent right wing christian bible thumping morons. One can not expect a competent thought from the morons. There might be a few of the neanderthal heathens that are made aware when they are laid off from their job as a result of the trade imbalances shutting down a percentage of import/export business, but they may be unable to connect the dots.

In any event, LG, F&Bacon is a turd. He’s never been worth having an online conversation with. Never. He’s a come along lately faux christian conservative. He is a very lazy being whom does no real research not because he doesn’t wish to be a more convincing moron but because he is too inept to sort out good facts from facts that suit his twisted thought processes.

If everyone stopped interacting with him, he won’t go away. The only way to get rid of him is to write a complaint to Dan and convince Dan that Bacon is F&B and continues to disrupt the flow around here. The second part is easy. The first part is even easier, as although a flaming troll can change their handle, they can not hide their agenda nor posting style. Or not. If you like having him here to bat around like an old tennis ball, do nothing. Either way he has the acumen of a fig newton and trying to reason with him is a fools errand. Personally I think Dan just doesn’t really care but IMO once you are banned multiple times, there should be no need to put up with him now and certainly not for the next months up to the election. I, personally, have not yet complained about him because it usually is more powerful to send a battery of emails to Dan comment@pdxradio.com

“The question is, will any Trump supporters see the shit storm this creates for the UK and have second thoughts?”

I don’t think so. I think most of us see this as regular people with common sense taking matters into their own hands.

They are frustrated with elites making decisions for them and telling them what is best for them, while the former don’t have to live with the consequences.

I think this is a prequel to the US in November.

———————————————–

“People imbued with common sense cannot understand why, either in Great Britain or in Germany or in the United States, the people that run the show would want to leave the borders wide open and allow the nations to be flooded with people who are not going to end up advancing the nation… It’s not racism. It’s not sexism. It’s not bigotry. All of the things that the elites and their media cohorts are gonna try to chalk this up to, it’s not about any of that. It’s about a desire to be self-reliant because they just don’t trust the people who claim to have all the answers and solutions for all the problems. They don’t trust the elites anymore. They don’t trust the ruling class. The ruling class has made a mess of pretty much everything.”

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

“The ruling class has made a mess of pretty much everything.”

Said a ruling class member.

Amus
    Participant
    Amus
    Participant

And now the hangover sets in.

More than 2 Million sign petition for a second referendum.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

Dear Brits;

Thank you for showing the world that not all fucking morons are on this side of the pond.

We’ll forgive you #BREXIT if you forgive us Bush & Trump.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.