Brian Williams: What he should do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    missing_kskd
    Participant

He’s got a significant audience, he’s likable, smart, etc…

I don’t think much of embellishments and lies. But, I also believe in redemption, options, moving forward too.

Has to be possible. Without that, people give up, get trapped, and I’m sure the implications of that are clear enough.

He needs to put all that shit out there, own it, examine it, and deal. Once that is done, I suggest he score a gig with somebody willing to fund actually doing the job he was supposed to be doing.

The media “blue wall” of non-reporting on it’s own dirty laundry, among many other harmful behaviors is doing us zero good. Bill Maher summed this up nicely with his brutal rundown of what passes for evening “news” and he’s right!

Brian is in a place where he could flip this whole event and do all the people who watched him a real solid. A net good is possible and he should take it.

I love nothing more than seeing something ugly leveraged into something good.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

He has a basic character flaw that is no doubt rooted in his genes. His days of glory are over. At best, he’ll end up in some second rate location on a cable channel.

With no remaining credibility, I can’t imagine who might pick him up.

jerry1949
    Spectator

I think Deane is right. Fair or unfair he’s the butt of jokes now and won’t be taken seriously. He’ll never again have the stature he once had.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Typical conservatives…

He could very easily do exactly what What I mentioned and do just fine.

Rational people will see and respond to rational behavior.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Has nothing to do with being conservative. I think he’s a nice guy and I would like to see him bounce back. But he was in league with the impeccable newsmen of old, and can’t regain that footing. I hope I’m wrong.

Andy Brown
    Participant

He’s done as a network anchor. He can go the Bill O’Leilly route and do a newsmagazine on cable or work for Faux where lying is the standard by which all their news staff operates.

edselehr
    Participant

The only way that Williams can gain back any journalistic credibility is to switch mediums. Write books about important issues, become a blogger, write for some publisher, start a foundation that does good works…ANYTHING that doesn’t involve him having his face on a video screen.

If he can prove that he has abilities beyond being a good news reader, then he has a chance of inventing himself. Otherwise, what Deane said.

Amus
    Participant

He has a contract with NBC.
    He’s been on several sitcoms and proved his comedic chops.

I say make him the permanent anchor for Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

He has indicated a desire to do comedy. That could, indeed, be the route he will take.

He was never a great journalist. He was a voice and vision for NBC news.

Andy Brown
    Participant

There aren’t many if any real journalists still working in TV. Bob Simon just died, he might have been one of the last of the breed. He really was in the trenches in Vietnam.

Over nearly five decades, he ventured into war zones and covered violence in Cyprus, Portugal, the Falklands and Yugoslavia. He reported on U.S. military actions in Grenada, Haiti and Somalia.

Perhaps most notably, he covered the Vietnam War from Saigon and the Persian Gulf War, during which, in 1991, he and his crew were captured by Iraqi forces and held for 40 days, according to his CBS biography.

http://tinyurl.com/pcrg6fh

Not too many others on the networks today can make these claims and back them up with video. BTW, the cab driver who killed Bob Simon had his license suspended nine times before crash.

http://tinyurl.com/q7plpkq

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.