Brian Williams Doesn't get Nightly News back!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Brian Williams Doesn't get Nightly News back!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

Looks like Williams will stay on with NBC but they haven’t figured out what to do with him. Might relegate him to MSNBC.

Lester Holt to get the permanent anchor position. He’s pretty good and deserves the job.

This is about the only combination of moves they could make.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/brian-williams-remain-nbc-suspension-article-1.2261902

missing_kskd
    Participant

They need to give him a show, just like O-lielly has. 🙂

So now we know. BillO, lied big, but his show is “entertainment”, even though he plays at “no spin zone” and flirts with credibility on off days. Brian lied too, but his role was news, and we can’t have that.

Perfect then! He’s got all the same skills, good appeal, and all that. And he will still have good appeal once this gets worked past.

And, if he works through his lie, owns it, etc… he can forever take pot shots at ORielly, who kind of just bullied his way past ever owning up the lies he is responsible for.

Jon can come on as an early, “get the crowds” guest, the two of them have an awesome interview, and it’s off to the races!

duxrule
    Participant

Exactly. Brian Williams is essentially free to call his own shots now. Someone should just give him an hour and let him run with it.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I would give it a watch.

Williams just isn’t a bad person. The lie sucks, but it’s something people can get past, and there are lots of lies on par with, and worse than that one airing all the damn time.

Given some good intent, and a building new track record, that Williams hour could turn out to be a great thing.

skeptical
    Participant

The Daily News? You can’t do better than that, eh? I suppose the story might be true, but even the Daily News isn’t saying Holt is a sure thing. Maybe Meet The Press would be a spot for Williams?

missing_kskd
    Participant

Jon can lead off with, Why Bri Why?

Vitalogy
    Participant

Non issue. Network news these days is pretty much worthless anyway.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Worthless, yes, but still a big money maker. I’m sure they spent some time figuring out that his return would hurt ratings and thereby hurt revenues, at least as a returning anchor with mud on his face.

paulwalker
    Participant

Lester is back from vacation tonight and only mentioned the promotion at the very end of the newscast and seemed quite humble,even thanking Brian Williams for his support. he seemed to have a spring in his step, or voice I guess. I am beginning to like this move quite a lot.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Well, he’s getting a nice gain. Feeling good is to be expected.

The more I think on this, I find I really don’t care much for card reading anchors.

(And that is fine. Anchors have their fans and career goals, etc… it is just me.)

I do care for advocacy programming where I get the facts in context.

That is what I hope Williams can end up doing. He’s got potential. Why not? Getting busted down to junior type news guy holds no appeal, and moderate potential. But could be easy retirement.

We have O’Reilly, Hannity, et al… clowns more than anything else, and in O’Reillys case, liar bigger than Williams, or on par at least.

Maddow, Oliver, The Nightly Show Guy, etc… also are clowns, but not liars.

Interesting.

So, the clowns do inform. Question is inform on what?

They also have something to say.

I wonder what Williams has to say after being anchor for so long…

Vitalogy
    Participant

Sorry, but network news is dying a slow death. Seriously, who still watches? Those 70+?

Ask anyone under the age of 45 when was the last time any of them paid attention to the network news.

I pride myself in following various sources of news. I couldn’t tell you who the anchors are at ABC and CBS currently.

paulwalker
    Participant

True but I am well under 70 and still like watching the network news. please don’t speak for everyone. in fact the network news shows have been skewing their content for a younger demographic. but I do tend to agree that this format is not the future.

Andy Brown
    Participant

You’re not alone, Paul. It may be true that viewership is way down, but there are still quite a few viewers.

There were an average of 48 million nightly network news viewers in 1985 and that has dropped to 24.5 million in 2013, according to Pew Research analysis of Nielsen Media Research data.

Young people aged 18-29 are the least likely to watch network news regularly (only 11 percent did so in 2012), and 49 percent of people in this age group say they never watch the news.

In the survey, only 15 percent of people under 30 could identify NBC Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams.

In news consumption surveys conducted by the Pew Research Center, the share of Americans who regularly watch a nightly network news program – ABC, CBS, and NBC – has declined from 60 percent in 1993 (the earliest available measure) to just 27 percent in 2012.

In a similar study by Times Mirror/Gallup in July 1985, 47 percent of Americans of all ages could identify Dan Rather, anchor of CBS Evening News. Today, seven in 10 (53 percent) could not identify the picture of Brian Williams, and 18 percent named someone else (two percent thought it was a picture of Vice President Joe Biden.)

Americans aged 65 and older are still the largest segment of nightly news viewers, but their viewership has declined dramatically since 1993 “from 75% down to 40% in 2012,” the Pew study said.

Having given some hard data on that, and even though many people consume news on cable TV or on a laptop — or on their mobile device or via hip, satirical outlets like Comedy Central — tens of millions each night tune in to watch the networks’ evening news programs. More Americans turn to the network evening news to find out what’s happening than to any other type of news except for local news.

Not only are over 20 million still watching regularly, but over 70 billion dollars in ad revenue is still being sold and is forecast to grow.

According to analysts at Pew’s Project for Excellence in Journalism who worked with data provided by the Nielsen Corporation, “NBC Nightly News” was the most popular source of news in America in recent years. Pew estimates that in 2013 roughly 8.5 million viewers tuned in to at least a portion of the network’s evening news broadcast each night. By comparison, cable news audiences are much smaller. The median prime-time audience for Fox News, the largest draw among the cable news providers, was just under two million viewers, according to Pew and Nielsen.

Network audiences may be shrinking, but cable has a way to go before it catches up with broadcast news in terms of number of viewers, which is why the news about “NBC News” generated worldwide attention. Network news still rules the airwaves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/upshot/why-network-news-still-matters.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

http://www.statista.com/statistics/259974/tv-advertising-revenue-in-the-us/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.