Bill Johnson, Former KXL Sports Director Dies at 71

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Bill Johnson, Former KXL Sports Director Dies at 71

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

Bill Johnson passed away on November 29th, he was 71 years old. Bill had been KXL Sports Director from 1975 to 1987. He also broadcast games over the years on KBVM, KGAR, KLYC, KMTT, KPDQ, KUIK, KUPL.

http://www.linfield.edu/sports/release.html?id=6097&sport=gs

Craig_Adams
    Participant

The McMinnville News-Register is reported Bill’s death as November 27th.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yep. One of the big 3 at KXL. Salisbury, Grimes, and Johnson. A excellent news team!

stevewa
    Participant

I remember Bill from Pilot basketball and Oregon News Network, a great guy with lots of great stories…will miss him.

tombrooks
    Participant

Worked with Bill early 80’s at KXL…Great to work with – a real pro..good sense of humor and really loved sports….good man…

Alan Budwill
    Participant

You are so right Tom. Bill is a great soul. I worked with him from the late 70’s through the early 80’s at KXL. He went out of his way to be nice to everyone.

Alan Budwill
    Participant

Fun fact about Bill. He was a production assistant on the TV show “Mission Impossible” in the ’60’s.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Alan. Thanks for dropping by! You and Kent had one of the best morning shows ever. Listened ya on Magic 107 from 82 to 86! Andy said you guys are in Seattle and still in the biz. Congrats!! Real happy ya still have a gig!!

Alan Budwill
    Participant

Thank you! Kent and I are entering our 30th year at KPLZ. We are very fortunate. How did that happen?

jimbo
    Participant

Didn’t Bill also do Sports on KATU before he went into radio?

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Yes, KATU 1969 to 1971.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Alan. Because you 2 are an awesome talent! Oh man! 30 years! You deserve it! Glad you guys are still in the biz!!

jimbo
    Participant

Thanks, Craig. I didn’t remember when but thought it was between 70-73 when I started there. I remember hearing him on KXL after he left KATU, not necessarily right away. I remember we had to shoot him from the side, not direct front. He preferred one side over the other. I remember he was nice to work with.

tombrooks
    Participant

Alan…sorry so long getting back.. Just saw your post.. Good to see you here..Seems like a lifetime ago those KXL radio
    days..great memories..Both you and Kent must have the Seattle record for broadcasters or close to it..My pleasure working with you there, please give my regards to Kent..Those KMJK days were fun for all of us too….As the KGON ad used to say: We are never to old to rock n roll…Cheers !!

semoochie
    Participant

…now that Bob Liddle is no longer with us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.