Biden VP Pick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

I think there is about a 10 percent chance Trump will not run. His ego is so huge that a loss would devastate him. So by not running he avoids that. Again, not likely but possible.

semoochie
    Participant

Regarding the bounty on US soldiers story, it’s established that it happened. If he was told and did nothing(other than later endorsing Russia for the G7)that’s aiding and abetting a hostile government, against American citizens! On the other hand, if he didn’t hear anything at the time and just discovered it, why isn’t he doing anything about it now? By not doing anything about it now, he’s still aiding and abetting and still committing the same felony, just not for as long! There are no other options. This is not bipartisan! Everyone in America should be against a foreign government paying money to kill American citizens and for the President to do nothing about it is unforgivable! The republicans need to condemn this inaction now or they won’t be around as a party much longer!

bookemdono
    Participant

10% is about right, but if he keeps going in the same downward trajectory in the polls as he has been the last couple months it won’t be up to him. Rich Mitch will see the senate slipping away and he may step in to stop him from seeking re-election.

To get back on topic, it is heartening that Biden has a few good choices for VP. While she’d be an excellent choice for vice president, I’d rather see Kamala Harris as the AG. And while I get the need for Biden to pick a woman, Cory Booker is the person I’d like to see as the running mate. While he failed to gain traction in his presidential run, he was the only one on the stage seemingly capable of healing the deep divisions in this country. He would also appeal to younger voters, a demo that Biden can use all the help with he can get.

bookemdono
    Participant

edselehr
    Participant

I like this.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by edselehr.
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

I don’t know if Trump knew about this issue or not, or even if it ever occured, but I would consider it a pretty serious situation if there is any substance to it. You can’t go by what the NYT’s prints, so we don’t really know the facts at this time.

If true, I would consider it an act of war and something the appropriate members of Congress should be consulted on.

I will agree that Trump appears to have some sort of relationaship with the Russians that isn’t completely clear, but should be. It could be something as simple as he’s hero worshipping Putin and his successful power grab, or possibly he just wants a relationaship that would allow him to build a Trump Tower in Moscow after his term is over.

bookemdono
    Participant

Or the possibility that trump is in debt up to his eyeballs to Russian oligarchs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-said-money-pouring-in-from-russia-2018-2%3famp

Andy Brown
    Participant

“You can’t go by what the NYT’s prints”

Clearly, the story as reported by all the credible news agencies not just the NYT, has got to have some basis in truth.

“Or the possibility that trump is in debt up to his eyeballs to Russian oligarchs.”

Since before he ventured into politics, in fact. That’s why he shielded his taxes as it would have revealed he borrowed heavily from Russian financial institutions. Remember he said “if I release my taxes, I won’t get elected.” I remember that succinctly.

“I would consider it an act of war”

An act of war by the Russians but just as significantly or maybe even more so, an act of treason and cowardice by the POTUS. Impeachable, too.

“members of Congress should be consulted on.”

The Democrats will try to get into the facts on this, but Stonewall McConnell won’t have any of it. Just for grins, consider this: What if the Democrats impeach him on this matter. What will the Republican Senate do? Give him another pass or throw him out, which the Donald may secretly want. That way he doesn’t have to back out of the nomination or deal with becoming the loser of the biggest landslide election in U.S. history. I think Mitch would not want to even deal with any of it since the GOP brand is already heavily damaged and impeaching him at this point will only serve to raise the question as to why they didn’t impeach him before and not really help the Republicans at all, since they are the reason there has been all this damage via Covid 19 and racial upset. This is the quintessential lose-lose scenario for the current Senate majority and it’s leader.

“It could be something as simple as he’s hero worshipping Putin and his successful power grab”

While there is probably some truth to that, it’s not the story but rather a distraction from the reality and gravity of the situation.

“allow him to build a Trump Tower in Moscow after his term is over.”

That’s why I mentioned his previous financial dealings with the Russian oligarchs. The Donald would have to borrow even more money to build that (which has been in the plans far longer than his presidency) and he probably offered perks to them if they would help him get elected, with which he could generate oodles of dough enough so that he could pay down what he already owed and borrow some more.

Thanks for conversing with us about this, Deanne. Somehow the line between left and right has been replaced by the dynamic separation of right and wrong. No matter what political stripes one wears, there has to be some behaviors that just don’t cut it for the office of the Presidency. When the GOP Senate let him off, many said it would just be a matter of time until he did something even more egregious and that time has come.

Certain facts remain veiled about this and for sure it has been difficult to pin the POTUS inactions to dereliction of duty, but the odor is growing in strength and the inner circle protecting him keeps shrinking in radius.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/democracy/reports/2018/12/17/464235/following-the-money/

Andrew
    Participant

Deane: “I don’t know if Trump knew about this issue or not, or even if it ever occured, but I would consider it a pretty serious situation if there is any substance to it. You can’t go by what the NYT’s prints, so we don’t really know the facts at this time.”

Can we go by what the Wall Street Journal prints?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-spy-unit-paid-taliban-to-attack-americans-u-s-intelligence-says-11593214584

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Actually, I don’t give the WSJ much credibility on things like this. They, and other supposedly credible media, pick up the story from the NYT and run with it.

The media these days reminds me of one of those high school gang-bangs from the era when I was growing up. One guy get’s the right girl involved and all the other guys go along for the ride (so to speak). I need not describe the evert further, you get the comparison.

I’m not suggesting there isn’t plenty of dirt to this episode, I just don’t trust the media as the “credible source”. We’re getting such comments as the “intel community” checked it out and there was nothing to report to the POTUS. I don’t believe we’ve gotten anything factual either way at this point.

edselehr
    Participant

Then what are your trusted sources, Deane? And why do you trust them?

edselehr
    Participant

Andy, thanks for the tax return reminder! Right after the nominations, it will be time for the annual “Show Us Your Tax Returns” ritual. I’m looking forward to hearing what Trump’s excuse will be for burying them this time around…I think he used up all the excuses four years ago.

bookemdono
    Participant

The supreme court may rule on a couple cases involving trump and his financial documents as early as tomorrow. Not holding out much hope it will result in making him turn over his taxes, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Edsel, I don’t have one. I think they’ve mostly retired their experienced professional reporters and turned news gathering over to journalism school graduates who work cheaper than the old professionls did.

The end result is college level reporting with no budget. That means grab it where you can.

The original question was, did I trust the WSJ. My answer was no. I’ll expand it a little by saying that I think it’s a matter of throwing crap at the wall and hoping some of it sticks once in awhile.

I will repeat that I don’t think we have any idea at this time whether Trump knew or didn’t know before this came out in the NYT. And we also don’t know if there’s any basis in fact to the alledged event or not. Hopefully, time will tell.

The water is muddied up by the likely fact that Trump has some relationship with Russia that isn’t all on the table. Probably financial, but that’s just specuation at this point. He acts like, above all, that he doesn’t want to offend them or lose their friendship. That smells like money involved to me.

Brianl
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.