Biden/Harris 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    radiogeek
    Participant

He’s … a ….

Super Callous Fragile Racist Sexist Nazi Potus

hint … think Mary Poppins …

I’m an educated small business owner and patent holder. I tuned in to “The Apprentice” for a while years ago to see what Donald had to teach me. Turns out … NOTHING.

I was so disgusted and outraged by the totally random, unfocused and illogical decisions Trump made my wife made me stop watching the show because she didn’t want me to have a stoke.

The man is a dipshit. If you’re ok having a dumbass as POTUS then you need mental help.

Ed

edselehr
    Participant

I think I’ve said this before:

Congress needs to declare Nov. 3rd a national holiday as a day of remembrance for the tens of thousands who have died and suffered due to COVID-19, and a day to reaffirm the most basic of civil rights.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Edsel, I can only partially agree with your suggestions. I think it’s a mistake to mix election day up with specific political issues. The COVID-19 shouldn’t be a political issue, but it definately is this year.

I do think it would be good to make Election Day a national holiday each time it rolls around. Make it something special, make it a patriotic day, a day to reaffirm what we are, and most important make it an important day that we look forward to for the right reasons.

edselehr
    Participant

I could get on board with simply saying that we take Election Day as a national holiday. I commingled the two for purely political reasons, adding the day of remembrance as a sweetener for those who bristle as making voting easy for people in any way.

This would be a no-cost way of our government reaffirming the act of voting as an essential basic right while making it easier for people to exercise that right.

(If Trump were to propose something like this, he would be “putting his money where his mouth is”. If he truly believes that vote by mail is rife with potential corruption, he needs to do what he can to make it easier and safer for people to vote at the polls.)

semoochie
    Participant

If Trump believes it’s corrupt, why does he continue to vote that way?

Andrew
    Participant

Covid became a political issue for only one reason: Trump. He could have had his “Bush bullhorn after 9/11” moment where he united the country around fighting Covid, mobilizing the resources of the nation, encouraging everyone to wear a mask…you know, like all the other leaders of developed nations.

Instead, he chose to continue his divisive approach, deny science, worry about how the pandemic would affect his re-election.

So please stop saying “Covid is a political issue” as if “both sides did it.”

Andrew
    Participant

And no, election day should not be a national holiday. It will only encourage more people to make it a long weekend and not even be in town to vote. Instead, we should encourage universal voting by mail – like what is happening now, though a slower pace of change would have been better without Covid. Of course, we should be strengthening the USPS, instead of trying to destroy it, not just because it supports voting by mail but because it’s good for the country. Rural America depends on the USPS maybe more than the urban areas do. (I live within walking distance of a FedEx store and a UPS store as well as a post office. I’ll bet you don’t.)

semoochie
    Participant

Donald Trump’s younger brother Robert passed away today. I don’t wish anyone ill will but it will be interesting to see how this affects the President’s behavior.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It won’t have any affect on his behavior.

edselehr
    Participant

Andrew, I very much think that important federal elections should be national holidays. There will be people who choose to vote, and people who choose not. For those that choose to vote, it should be made as easy as possible. Do you really believe that a person who would take a “long weekend” and forgo voting *would* vote if they had to work that Tuesday and stand in a long line after work to do so? If that person was civic minded enough to vote but still wanted to take the long weekend, they would vote absentee. If they are not civic minded enough to vote, then the holiday wouldn’t affect their voting behavior either way.

Andrew
    Participant

edselehr: “Andrew, I very much think that important federal elections should be national holidays. There will be people who choose to vote, and people who choose not. For those that choose to vote, it should be made as easy as possible.”

I believe there is nothing better or easier than Oregon’s vote by mail system. Why do we need anything else? Why do we need a holiday for that?

lastday
    Participant

I have never in my life directly contributed to any political candidate. This year is very different. I contributed to Biden-Harris online. Doing so comes with the knowledge that they will inundate me with texts and emails asking for support and more money. In fact they tell you that when you sign up. Ordinarily I wouldn’t tolerate that stuff, but again, this year is different. I don’t mind it at all.

That’s how important it is to me to get the big puffy turdball out of our lives.

On one of the Sunday morning news shows (might have been George Stephanopolis or however his name is spelled) they had a graphic with Biden’s image on the left and Trump on the right. The Trump photo looked very bright and color-corrected to make his spray-on tan look good. Biden looked very pale and washed out in comparison. This stuff leaves lasting, if subliminal, impressions in the heads of viewers. Just saying. Should news organizations be responsible for fixing stuff like that?

Anyway, even though Biden himself isn’t appearing on TV very much, his organization is *very* actively motivating his supporters. I’d assume Trump’s is too.

Oh, and there’s this. My dad passed away in 2013. He was a registered Republican and he donated to someone, possibly GW Bush. So his name is in the GOP’s records. This week alone I received three mailings ostensibly from Trump himself addressed to my dad, at my address. How did they get my address? These mailings trash Biden and Democrats in general. They contain “surveys” asking questions like “Who do you want to run the country? President Trump, Speaker Pelosi, or Joe Biden”. All the questions in the survey are “loaded”. Every time this happens I return the mailings marked “DECEASED SINCE 2013” in huge block letters. But they never stop coming in. They have no standing to complain about dead voters receiving ballots when they can’t keep their own database cleaned up. Jeez.

edselehr
    Participant

Andrew: I agree, Oregon-style mail in voting is the ultimate answer. In the meantime, the neanderthal states that still require their voters to go to the polls need a federal mandate such as a national holiday to facilitate their backwards practices. Here in Oregon, we can take the Tuesday off to prepare for our President Biden Zoom parties.

Andrew
    Participant

Why not just mandate vote by mail and skip the holiday? In 2020 as a temporary measure, I have no problem with making election day a holiday (though I doubt it would happen), but going forward, just mandate every state must offer every voter a way to vote by mail if the voter chooses.

edselehr
    Participant

Problem is, we never have a “federal election”, run and managed by the federal government. We have 50 state elections (plus districts and territories). The federal government can’t tell the states how to run elections, they can only tell them how *not* to run elections (no poll tax, Voting Rights Act protections, etc.) If it were possible for the the federal government to mandate vote by mail be available to all, then conversely we know that Trump would have mandated polling place elections everywhere and *prohibited* vote by mail.

So for now, as we wait for all the states to get their shit together and make vote by mail the default mode of voting, we need to help those who must go to the polls with a day off to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.