Best PDX Air Talent

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cbaravelli
    Spectator

Who are your favorite radio air personalities and, more importantly, why?

For me, La Zeta’s El Patron (all others sound like The Simpsons Bubblebee Man) and two 95 KISN-FM Good Guys (hint: they both give great copy).

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I vote for The Afternoon Answer‘s Michael and Eric. They are local hosts who are on at a time that I can frequently listen. KEX has a locally produced show earlier in the day that is good, but I generally cannot listen because I am at work.

radiodork
    Spectator

Ryan Seacrest

radiodork
    Spectator

Speaking of Ryan Seacrest, has anyone seen Z100’s latest book of ratings?? They might be the lowest in the history of that station being on the air.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Ryan Seacrest?
    A. He is not local and
    2. he is not human.

radiodork
    Spectator

I was joking. He is awful, he is the most vanilla of radio.

fennekinisfire
    Participant

Personally, I think that Ryno and Sheryl Stewart of 105.1 The Buzz are my favorites. They got a good sense of humor, and also as far as I’m aware of, they’re both based out of the Northwest, either Oregon or Washington.

radiodork
    Spectator

Just noticed that Daria is no longer on KNRK. By far one of the best talent’s in Portland. I always remember listening to her and Mike Chase on KNRK back in the mid 90s. A great time for radio and just before Bill Clinton signed that horrendous 1996 telecommunications act.

Waynes World
    Participant

Tom Murphy, Nick Diamond, Uncle Don Wright and Craig Walker stick in my mind. of course Pat Pattee

cbaravelli
    Spectator

I gotta say for best full line up has gotta go to KINK-FM.
    Best Pacific Northwest air crew is on KJET-FM, the old KJR-AM ‘translator’.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Like an NBA back to the basket center, air talent is a dying breed. For the obviously out of touch, owners no longer value voices because over the years they (corporate owners) have taken over every aspect of the broadcast delivery machine and have made it a parody of itself, sort of like something in a 1980’s SNL skit.

Nevertheless, I would have to say Gustav. He reminds me of good people I worked with both when the ID’s I did started with the letter “W” as well as later when they began with “K.” Gustav sounds professional without forcing it. I like that. He doesn’t over do it (I like that, too). I am not including anything resembling talk or news radio because I don’t listen to it.

radiodork
    Spectator

Yeah Gustav is good, a little more personality would be nice, but for the most part he does a good job. Just curious, does anybody ever listen to The Perfect playlists on 947 at 6pm on Knrk?? That is by far, the best hour of radio in the entire Fm dial. It’s all requested by listeners, they choose the songs and it’s fun to listen to. I’m hearing great songs I haven’t heard in years, not to mention, album cuts, deeper tracks etc. They will pretty much play anything (within reason). I just discovered this segment on KNRK last week. It’s a fun listen, that’s for sure. I gotta give Knrk some credit, they are doing a great job musically. It starts at 6pm on weekdays.

radiodork
    Spectator

Ok I’m wrong, it’s only 5 songs, not a full hour, but it’s still a great listen. I tuned in last week and I heard stuff like The ramones, the sex pistsls, the replacements. I was in music heaven.

theglide22
    Participant

Mark Thompson of Mark & Brian fame once told a story on his podcast about Ryan Seacrest. He said that when M&B were at the height of their popularity that Ryan Seacrest befriended him and would invite him out to dinner and pick his brain about the radio industry. They got to know each other well to the point Mark considered him a good friend. He said after Ryan got really big he wouldn’t return Mark’s calls anymore. Sounds like a real piece of work.

LTPDXRadio
    Participant

Wow. Those are names that I have not heard from in a LONG, LONG time since the mid to late 1970’s.
    Nick Diamond was on KEX 1190 in KEX’s heyday of playing MOTR music like Neil Sedaka and Captain and Tennille songs.
    Awful Middle Of The Road music, but at least the DJs were entertaining, for the most part.
    KEX actually had some really good on-air talent back then on the 70’s with Barney Keep, Jimmy Hollister, Diamond, Steve O’Shea, and a few others.
    That was when they switched their night-time music format to Talk Radio with “Northwest at Night” with Ed Anderson and Uncle Don Wright from 8pm to Midnight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.