Best Buy stops selling Cd’s

This topic contains 39 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  MelSound 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

radiodork
    Spectator

Well it’s an end of an era, that’s for sure. Starting next week All Best Buy chains will no longer sell cds. I have to admit I still buy CDs on occasion and I’m kind of sad they are going.That being said, I’m a vinyl guy, I made the switch a few years back and now I’m an avid collector of vinyl records.I bought an old Marantz receiver and it’s hooked up to my turntable and it sounds awesome!! As far as cds go, I have many memories of going to The local Tower Records after school and buying a new cd for 17 bucks. (Circa 1992) one memory is going to tower records and buying Pear Jam’s “ten” album when it first came out. The instant gratification of buying the cd and running home to rock out to it. I miss those days😩. There is something about buying music online that I hate, it’s just not the same as buying the album. Plus I love the artwork.
    https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cds-at-best-buy-are-going-the-way-of-the-dodo/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQGCAEoATgB#origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&prerenderSize=1&visibilityState=prerender&paddingTop=54&p2r=0&horizontalScrolling=0&csi=1&aoh=15309526933028&viewerUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Famp%2Fs%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Famp%2Fnews%2Fcds-at-best-buy-are-going-the-way-of-the-dodo%2F&history=1&storage=1&cid=1&cap=swipe%2CnavigateTo%2Ccid%2Cfragment%2CreplaceUrl

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Who says you can’t get albums online? Ever heard of Amazon? You *do* know you’re not limited to lossy MPEG downloads.

In fact I just ordered three Steely Dan CDs off there for somebody’s birthday that’s coming soon. Yes there’s about a week’s wait but it beats putting up with Worse Buy.

Now the Fred Meyer’s up the road from me (164th) stopped selling them only recently, but they lost their entire electronics section in its currently in-progress remodel. They have been cutting back for several years probabaly in order to phase it out eventually, but it’s been pretty pathetic for about a good decade or more.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I used to buy DVD media locally , but that is getting harder to get too. Amazon has plenty. But are DVD’s on their way out with most everything streaming?

Andy Brown
    Participant

CD’s and vinyl outsold downloads last year. Vinyl continues to increase but is still a tiny percentage based on dollars.

The millennial generation doesn’t buy music, per se. They grew up and continue to consume via streaming services, which is largely responsible for the dips in sales across all the other options.

According to the RIAA’s (Recording Industry Association of America) annual year-end report, downloads fared the worst, with the total category falling by just under one-quarter (24.7%) and totaling only $1.33 billion, which is down considerably from its heyday, which was only a decade or so ago. It won’t be long before paid downloads are worth less than $1 billion.

Track sales and album sales are the two major kinds of downloads, and both lost a lot of ground in 2017, with single and song sales suffering the worst. Purchases of individual tunes dropped over 25% and Americans bought 553.5 million songs. In 2016, that number was just under three-quarters of a billion units, and in 2018, it likely won’t even be half a billion.

Digital album sales fell considerably as well, though they’re holding slightly better than individual tracks. The field shrunk by 22% from the year prior, and in 2017, music lovers in the U.S. bought just over 66 million digital records, which is down from just over 85 million in 2016. Digital album sales totaled almost $624 million last year, while songs brought in $650 million, as albums sell for a much higher price.

People have been saying for a long time that the physical album is done, but the category is responsible for more money coming into the music industry than digital album and song sales combined. All forms of physical purchases added up to $1.5 billion in the U.S. last year. CD sales experienced a big hit, losing 10 million sales from the year prior, though at 87.6 million copies moved, they still performed better than their digital counterparts.

As has been the case for several years now, vinyl remains the one format of music that must be bought outright that continues to grow by any noticeable measure, though it’s still not responsible for much money pouring to the industry. Vinyl sales increased by fewer than 1 million copies in 2017, and total purchases now stand at just over 15.5 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2018/03/28/physical-albums-sell-significantly-better-than-digital-ones-even-today/#17c30d76b538

Vinyl’s resurgence remains a fad. Although widespread it just doesn’t have the numbers to be considered anything more than that. CDs/DVDs are far from obsolete in the music industry and continue to be big money makers. In the home computing sector, thumb drives and flash memory cards have pretty much supplanted them for data storage/swapping. FYI Seagate is rolling out inexpensive SSD starting at $72 with 1TB Barracuda SSD coming in around $200 or less.

Not only the millennial generation is at fault for the sliding media sales. Spotify, Shamdora and other streaming services are also to blame not for implementing new technology (broadband speed and more reliable connectivity) but rather for NOT PAYING proper royalties to composers nor performers as per DMMA. This is to say, in short, that the playback industry is not a level playing field. Artists continue to get screwed over by big media everyplace big media can get away with it.

Last month I was invited up to Ringo Starr’s home in Beverly Hills. He asked me to write a song with him for his next “virtual” album. In two days’ devotion, we conjured and recorded a piece called “Bamboula.”

We then sat back and guessed what our possible “day rate” for that time and effort would be. What an irony!

Forty years ago, co-writing a song with Ringo Starr would have provided me a house and a pool. Now, estimating 100,000 plays on Spotify, we guessed we’d split about $80. When I got home, on closer study, I found out we were way too optimistic. Spotify (on par with other streamers) pays only .00065 cents per play.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/van-dyke-parks-on-how-songwriters-are-getting-screwed-in-the-digital-age

Andrew
    Participant

So – when is laserdisc coming back? OK, thanks.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I bought an EP this year. Vinyl is just fun.

Happy to see it out there as an option.

Broadway
    Participant

I helped produce/record an audio book recently and the Author is only considering online downloads…not “printing” any CD’s.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Likely a good call.

They should consider CD on demand too. Sell those directly.

They could just make them, and then number, sign each one. Include a catalog of works, and a nice note. Charge top dollar. Fans will pay, and the margin is good.

lastday
    Participant

Cassette tapes (!) are making a comeback. Seriously. Refurbished vintage cassette playback decks with Dolby B/C/HX/HX Pro and especially Dolby S are commanding top dollar. Search eBay. A handful of new albums are released on cassettes.

Cassettes Are Making a Comeback: Total Sales Jumped 35% Last Year In the US, and 112% In the UK

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I bought an EP this year. Vinyl is just fun.

Happy to see it out there as an option.

I dumped my last few LPs this year. Records are just a pain in the ass.

Couldn’t be happier to see them go. I’ll take a noise/wear/distortion/loss-free CD over a record any day!

radiodork
    Spectator

Nosignal, why buy vinyl off Amazon when you have great record shops in Portland like Music Millenium and Jackpot Records.support your local record shops!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  radiodork.

radiodork
    Spectator

Last day – 1991 called and they want their cassettes back. You have a really nice selection of titles- C and C Music Factory, Right said Fred “I’m too sexy” casingle, Vanilla Ice, bobby brown (lol)

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Nosignal, why buy vinyl off Amazon when you have great record shops in Portland like Music Millenium and Jackpot Records.support your local record shops!

1. Unless there’s a really compelling reason to, like the odd Seeburg 16 or Kresge album, I don’t buy “vinyl”, haven’t in years. Didn’t you read my last post?

2. Why would I want to go to Portland for CDs? Why would I have any reason to go to Portland?

The couple times I’ve been to Music Millennials in the past 10 years it was expensive and the clueless PC 20-something staff were unhelpful as fuck. (well, Portland, what do you expect.) The hipster trash clientele in place at the time was a put-off. Maybe I just got there in its off-days. Maybe as a Vancouverite I’m not seeing it through smog-filtering rose-tinted glasses. Who knows. It’s Portland, there are so many vairable points of failure that any engineer worth his salt would grimace and shriek in terror at the thought.

radiodork
    Spectator

just Had my post deleted. Very frustrating 😡

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I’ve had that happen a few times. It’s just WordPress being its usual self. That’s why it’s best to compose your post in a text editor and copy/paste it in here, so when posting fails (and it will) you can resubmit it without retyping it all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.