Bernie Bros give a boost to Trump's 2020 re-election

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Bernie Bros give a boost to Trump's 2020 re-election

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  missing_kskd 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Vitalogy
    Participant

Donald Trump seems beatable in 2020 – unless Democrats screw things up by beating each other to a pulp. And if you think that scenario is impossible, you clearly haven’t noticed the war that Bernie Sanders’ fans are already waging against Beto O’Rourke.

Hey, that didn’t take long. The Democrats’ 40-seat House triumph is so seven weeks ago. Now come the purity tests and the rites of cannibalization. Welcome to the next 18 months.

Bernie versus Beto: Democratic cannibalization begins

I’m on the Beto Bandwagon. If he can do what he did in TX on a national level, he beats Trump.

I love Biden but I want a younger candidate.

No Sanders, no Warren, no Booker, no Hillary, no Kamala.

And I’m also open to hearing more from Sherrod Brown.

missing_kskd
    Participant

This is the basic conflict on the lef5 and it is not going away.

Blame and shame is not productive. Here is the rough breakdown:

Beto lacks the support he needs because he has not demonstrated he will do things differently. He is more aligned with Clinton, Obama type economic policy than he is progressive, New Deal, Sanders, Cortez type policy.

The Sanders left has not seen the economic progress needed to vote for more of the same. They are reformers and Beto is not a reformer.

There are way too many Americans committed to reform to ignore.

Ignore them, and we are extremely kikely to get a second Trumo, Pence two fer. And, Pence is likely to serve as President during that term too.

Of course, there are also a lot of Americand doing OK and who favor Clinton, Obama type policy.

As people, we really need to talk. There are some rough choices to consider and increasing, raw, human need are driving them.

Honestly, there needs to be something the Sanders, progressive left can vote for. They are not driven by lesser evil, vote against type politics.

How can we, the left get that done?

That answer will very likely determine our chance of success.

And we are not alone. Facists are doing better than we would otherwise expect, and they are exploiting similar conflicts in other nations.

Again, there are too many people unwilling to support more of the same economic policy.

Can’t tell them what to do, and blame, shame? Lol, I will watch with great interest.

As far as I am concerned, if we cannot hear these people, we deserve what we get.

missing_kskd
    Participant

What he did, Vitalogy, is lose to Ted Cruz.

LMAO

Not on the wagon here. He does not have what it takes to beat Trump, IMHO.

Andrew
    Participant

Missing: “This is the basic conflict on the lef5 and it is not going away.

Blame and shame is not productive. Here is the rough breakdown:

Beto lacks the support he needs because he has not demonstrated he will do things differently. He is more aligned with Clinton, Obama type economic policy than he is progressive, New Deal, Sanders, Cortez type policy.”

If you’re right, then the “progressives” care more about winning the purity war than in beating Trump in 2020. How about beating Pence in 2024? Or is it better to have eight years of Mike Pence after Trump than some not-quite-pure might-be-a-little-like-Obama-or-Clinton-Democrat?

Andrew
    Participant

I’m not on the “Beto Bandwagon.” Of course I will vote for him against Trump if Beto wins the nomination. He just doesn’t seem like the best 2020 candidate the Democrats could put up.

We need a candidate who can win in PA, MI, and WI. Any candidate who can win those three can surely win all the states Hillary won – and that’s all you need to beat Trump. Beto O’Rourke has demonstrated only that he can come close to winning in Texas and raise a lot of money from out of state. But almost winning in Texas is irrelevant to winning PA, MI, and WI in my opinion.

Sherod Brown on the other hand just handily won re-election in ever-more-red Ohio. An unapologetic liberal winning red Ohio easily, again and again? Maybe he’s on to something. Plus, I’d guess Brown has a better feel for neighboring or nearby states to Ohio like PA, MI, and WI than Beto O’Rourke does. Plus, Brown would put Ohio into play in the presidential race (wouldn’t bet on him winning it – but unlike O’Rourke, Brown CAN win statewide.)

I’m not quite on the Brown bandwagon yet. But so far, on paper, he’s my preferred choice for the 2020 nomination.

I agree on no Warren, Sanders, Booker, or Harris. I don’t see them as better positioned than Brown to in PA, MI, and WI.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Andrew, it is not about purity.

It is all about meaningful economic representation. Thete is a big difference. Purity is a deliberate, willful ignorance play.

Bad start. I sure would not give you the time of day, and a vote consideration?

Hahaha.

Put simply, shame play. Useless. Advantage Trump.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.