Bernie takes his message to Liberty University

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Bernie takes his message to Liberty University

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Amus
    Participant

I watched this on CSPAN this morning.

It was a good conversation and he was well received.

“Let me be very frank. I understand that issues such as abortion and gay marriage are very important to you and that we disagree on those issues. I get that,” Sanders said. “But I came here today because I believe from the bottom of my heart that it is vitally important for those of us who hold different views to be able to engage in a civil discourse.”

Sanders then made a plea to set aside those differences, repeatedly citing scripture lines from the Bible like Matthews 7:12 and Amos 5:24, and to argue that people on opposite sides of the political spectrum need to come together to fight the “massive injustice” of income inequality in the United States.

“You have got to think about the morality of that, the justice of that, and whether or not that is what we want to see in our country,” Sanders said. “In my view, there is no justice when, in recent years, we have seen a proliferation of millionaires and billionaires while at the same time the United States of America has the highest rate of childhood poverty of any major country on earth.”

“It is easy to go out and talk to people who agree with you,” Sanders said, noting the was in Greensboro, North Carolina a day earlier, before an audience of thousands of loud supporters. “That’s not hard to do. That’s what politicians by and large do—we go out and talk to people who agree with us. But it is harder but not less important for us to try and communicate with those who do not agree with us on every issue.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/bernie-sanders-liberty-university-2016-213599#ixzz3ljiBMieb

edselehr
    Participant

I’m just now finishing watching the YouTube of this speech. Kudos to Bernie for going into the “lion’s den” so to speak. He acknowledged differences with they student body where they existed, and did an exceptional job of building bridges where he could find common ground.

I like Bernie’s politics and his energy, a lot. I just wish I liked Bernie the candidate the same amount. I’m just afraid he can’t transfer his brand of politics to the national stage.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

“I’m just afraid he can’t transfer his brand of politics to the national stage.”

Hopefully, you are correct.

Amus
    Participant

We could sure do worse!

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I’ll take worse!

Amus
    Participant

Yes.
    You are a champion of the worse.
    😉

edselehr
    Participant

CELEBRITY HAIR MATCH!

BERNIE “FELL THE BERN” SANDERS V. DONALD “THEY’RE RAPISTS…AND SOME GOOD PEOPLE” TRUMP!

edselehr
    Participant

Double double post post

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Bernie Sanders’s appearing at Liberty University and quoting Scripture proves to me, once and for all, that we are a Christian nation. I need to get on the winning team.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Bernie I’d showing the rest how it can be done. Awesome.

I’m rapidly becoming a fan and am going to start getting active just as I did with Obama. Bernie had the best overall alignment with ordinary people of any one out there.

Maybe he can win. No joke.

The question is very rapidly becoming, who is actually better?

None of the GOP clowns comes close!

Establishment Dems have a growing problem too. People like me might just step away and work for somebody like Bernie same as we did for Obama.

Maybe we should.

Did you guys see the Brits elected their own Bernie type?

Game on man. Feel the Bern.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

We already know the next President will be Hillary Clinton. Vitalogy has told us that some time ago. That’s where his money is.

missing_kskd
    Participant

He has actually been quite good on that front, but I do not see Clinton as a lock at all.

Amus
    Participant

Good points…
    (to borrow a phrase)

Why This Evangelical Pastor Now Supports Bernie Sanders

When I heard Bernie speaking in that way, when I saw that guy on stage at Liberty University, I saw John the Baptist…crying out to the religious leaders, the Pharisees of his day, calling them corrupt and complicit with those who have all the power and all the money and all the wealth, and abandoning the people that God loves, that God cares about…

https://clyp.it/eusxalwe

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I listened to the entire 16 minute audio from the conservative evangelical, young, pastor and former Liberty U. alum. Even though he leaned a bit preachy, his points on Sanders were relevant and engaging.

One point was saying he’s a conservative evangelical, but that doesn’t automatically make be him conservative politically. This pastor used to work for the George W Bush campaign back in 2004 and here he is today supporting Sanders more on biblical grounds than political. It was an interesting “sermon” to listen too, to say the least. And refreshing, too.

Nice catch, Amus.

missing_kskd
    Participant

That is the idea of make it better on common, basic shared interests in action.

Nice catch indeed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.