Benghazi Report

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    duxrule
    Participant

Hey! I heard that Trey Gowdy was going to be stringing Hillary up by her heels today, as the long-awaited “smoking gun” on Benghazi comes out this morning! Quoting Flounder from Animal House, “Oh, boy…this is gonna be great!” And:

House Benghazi Report Finds No New Evidence of Wrongdoing by Hillary Clinton

“Ending one of the longest, costliest and most bitterly partisan congressional investigations in history, the House Select Committee on Benghazi issued its final report on Tuesday, finding no new evidence of culpability or wrongdoing by Hillary Clinton in the 2012 attacks in Libya that left four Americans dead.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/us/politics/hillary-clinton-benghazi.html

So, when do we start the hearings on the theft of public funds that was perpetrated by Gowdy and his toadies?

Langston
    Participant

Not so fast. Some are saying that the 2020 Benghazi Report will be even more stinging.

Broadway
    Participant
    duxrule
    Participant

Hey, BW…It’s probably a good idea to read beyond the headlines…For instance, this is from your Fox News link:

“… The report said despite orders from President Obama and then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to deploy, the first military force did not do so until more than 13 hours after the attack started.”

Amus
    Participant

Hold up everybody!
    Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

I really think we should all step back, take a collective breath and wait and see what Scott Baio has to say about this.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Broadway and the like-minded, I use that term loosely of course, have never met a fact they weren’t able to deny. Just keep yelling “Benghazi”, GOP. You really do sound like a bunch of lunatics.

And I’m also breathless with anticipation at hearing from Chachi. Or maybe Victoria Jackson? I know Chuck Norris would have some keen insight on all of this as well. Oh, wait, the Duck Dynasty inbreeds! I mean, really, the list of thoughtful, intelligent, well informed A-list celebrities of the Tea Party persuasion is virtually limitless.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The committee’s investigation has been long criticized as a politically motivated charade more concerned with damaging Hillary Clinton politically than in uncovering further information about what happened in 2012, a critique that gained credibility when a Republican House leader had to apologize for boasting publicly about how much the investigation had damaged Hillary Clinton politically.

Indeed, early word on the select committee’s report is that it does little to advance our understanding of how Benghazi happened and fails to make a case that Hillary Clinton committed any act of substantial incompetence or malfeasance. (For more on what the Obama administration really did get wrong before and after the attack, click here.) So that’s six investigations over the course of four years, ending with a shrug.

Which suggests a question: How much time would House Republicans have spent investigating the deaths of Americans in the Iraq war if they cared as much about Iraq as they do about Benghazi? (There were two major inquiries into the Iraq fiasco, but both were bipartisan and neither involved a serving House Republican.) There were four Americans killed in Benghazi whose deaths can on some level be considered a failure by our government; there have been some 4,500 American service members killed in Iraq for whose deaths our government was perhaps even more responsible.

So, calculating proportionally and assuming that those lives cut short in Iraq are worth as much attention as the lives cut short in Benghazi, House Republicans would have launched 6,750 investigations of the Iraq war to have been conducted over the course of 4,500 years. Wouldn’t that have been absurd?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/28/congressional_republican_investigations_of_iraq_and_benghazi_compared.html

Vitalogy
    Participant
    Amus
    Participant

How many Congressional investigations were undertaken on the 13 Benghazi’s that took place during the Bush Administration?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Amus
    Participant

I’d like to see that amended with the number of Congressional investigations and the cost of those investigations to the taxpaying public.

Brianl
    Participant

Hah, I think the Reagan administration might win that one running away, Amus.

Borderblaster
    Participant

Forgot one: Operation Eagle Claw

Amus
    Participant

Dr. Anne Stevens, sister of Ambassador Chris Stevens;

Don’t Blame Hillary Clinton for Benghazi

It is clear, in hindsight, that the facility was not sufficiently protected by the State Department and the Defense Department. But what was the underlying cause? Perhaps if Congress had provided a budget to increase security for all missions around the world, then some of the requests for more security in Libya would have been granted. Certainly the State Department is underbudgeted.

I do not blame Hillary Clinton or Leon Panetta. They were balancing security efforts at embassies and missions around the world. And their staffs were doing their best to provide what they could with the resources they had. The Benghazi Mission was understaffed. We know that now. But, again, Chris knew that. It wasn’t a secret to him. He decided to take the risk to go there. It is not something they did to him. It is something he took on himself.

I know he had a lot of respect for Secretary Clinton. He admired her ability to intensely read the issues and understand the whole picture.

With the many issues in the current election, to use that incident—and to use Chris’s death as a political point—is not appropriate.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/chris-stevenss-family-dont-blame-hillary-clinton-for-benghazi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.