Before the dark side…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I don’t know where the name “David Hooper” came from. He was “Jeff Christie.” Having done some DXing in his hometown of Cape Girardeau myself in the 1970s, I always thought if we ever met I’d want to discuss his childhood/teenage radio memories. He of course got a lot of his schtick from Larry Lujack. Not his politics, but his humorous mannerisms.

paulwalker
    Participant

Maybe David Hooper was the op. I don’t know. My only points here are one, he started as many of us did, and two, unlike most of us he had a sense of how to advance his career. Definitely he was in the right place at the right time, but it wouldn’t have happened without high intelligence, despite his political views. It is easy to rip him for his views, less easy to rip him for his talent as a radio personality.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The damage he did, the people he hurt, the women he insulted, the minorities he denigrated . . . all outweigh and vastly overshadow the so called “talent” that moved his career forward.

Forward?

His story is one of greed driven success, stopping at nothing to get those ratings. In the end, he failed to sustain the demand for his snake oil. He was not a pioneer of talk radio, rather he was an exploiter of talk radio.

He deserves exactly what he got and that doesn’t include any professional praise whatsoever. Morally bereft and socially corrupt are what he’ll be remembered for most. He pissed on normal people without hesitation. He sold his soul years ago. There’s nothing to praise. Just a now dead heaping pile of dung.

tombrooks
    Participant

WOW .. Rush Limbaugh was an absolute GEM to millions and millions of Americans – Last Night on Hannity James Golden, also known by his pseudonym, “Bo Snerdley,” expressed the great feelings of loss of his millions of followers – (By The way Bo is African-American) The outpouring of love and support for Rush was well founded. He is one of the most successful Radio people of our lifetimes, along with Paul Harvey. Rush will not be easily be replaced. R.I.P. Rush Limbaugh a great American and broadcaster. If he isn’t already he should be in the Radio Hall Of Fame.

Notalent
    Participant

Political hatred runs deep.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s not just politics. It’s about being a decent human being which he was not. His true legacy is how he persuaded people to embrace their worst selves and a shameful history of bullying and making it OK to hate your neighbor.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/rush-limbaugh-s-true-legacy-how-he-persuaded-people-embrace-ncna1258297

“a great American”

Barf me out. The man was a puke. He corrupted the Republican Party, spread hate, racism, and lies, and laid the groundwork for Trumpism. He “used his life’s last energies to do his damnedest to recast a pandemic as a deadly, partisan culture war. To paint a lawless and lunatic president as a wronged and heroic savior of the republic, a symbol of all the myriad wrongs done to Team White America. To call the first woman of color nominated for vice president a “ho” and a “mattress,” to depict racial-justice protests as signs of a coming Armageddon, and to stir up hysteria about a Democratic plot to steal the election. And, ultimately, to lead the cheers and comfort the troops as Republicans turned against democracy itself.”

Rush Limbaugh Did His Best to Ruin America

Broadway
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

I realize there are plenty of racist misogynistic ignorant and even stupid ditto heads out there, and they are served by greedy right wing media.

But the facts remain he was a horrible man who did not further any cause except his own wallet.

The world is better off without him.

In review, when you have a position in radio such as he had before his listenership dwindled, and you say shit like he frequently did with no concern for what is being said and who it is attacking, you’re a schmuck. Sure, the mindless right wingers love to hear said OTA what they feel in their tiny, cold blooded hearts and that’s the bottom line.

He can not be redeemed by anyone. Vilifying and denigrating so many people, both groups and individuals, is what he did best. Making a 100k donation to St. Judes Hospital when you’re a multimillionaire is tantamount to one of us throwing a quarter into the Salvation Army pot at Christmas.

He doesn’t get a pass. He was no Bill Gates. Get real.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Not only was Limbaugh an asshole, but he worked hard at it, and was proud of the result.

Notalent
    Participant

Just take it to the Politics side please… There is a place for your hate here… Leave the Radio side to radio.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Notalent.
    semoochie
    Participant

The only thing I can say to Limbaugh’s credit is that it’s questionable whether there would still be an AM dial without him! I didn’t see anyone else stepping up to the plate.

After our power returned, it went out again, sending us to the daughter’s house for five days, at which point we returned to discover the DSL was out. It just returned this evening and hopefully, there will be no further issues. We find DSL more reliable than Comcast but the latter was working.

chessyduck
    Participant

Whoa there. No wonder AM radio was dying. The original DSL implementation with all those RF spikes in the 300kHz-1100kHz range (and harmonics) did a serious number on medium-wave DXing. Then came HomePlug, RF-noisy energy-saving lightbulbs, etc. The biggest offender now is all those solar-panel controllers/invertors. Give me the good old days when I all had to worry about was the neighbors electric fence …

paulwalker
    Participant

Semoochie, I agree. It may take a few years but the AM band will die a painful death as there will be no attractive programming available after Rush. Sorry, but Hannity won’t save it.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

No amount of attractive programming will save AM from aging demographics, lower fidelity, more interference sources, and the inability to cram a ferrite bar antenna into ever smaller packages.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.