ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio ATSC 3.0 Coming to Portland Soon

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    boisebill
    Participant

!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by boisebill.
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Meredith may have to do each translator at a time. It sounded like it from what I was told. Since I asked them a few times about the Megler translator, they probably did that first. I am sure pleased we have 26 OTA channels now. Before 92 we had no OTA TV. In 1992 2/6/49 were in analog. Later when Meredith bought 12/49, they switched 49 to 12, so for years we only had 2/6/12. Then in about 2010, KOPB put on an analog translator, but it was not at Megler so the picture was full of ghosts and weak. Soon after that they moved to Megler and went digital, right after KOIN switched. A bit later KGW added a translator, so all 5 were running a mix of analog and digital. I think it was about 2014 when KATU went digital finally. For sometime we only have maybe 9 OTA signals, but then the diginets really started to be added. Now we have 26.

Patrick

LinleyG
    Participant

There apparently will be a noticeable delay before the real availability of ATSC3 receivers. The consumer electronics industry just this week adopted what features an ATSC3 receiver must have. This is intended for the 2021 model year sets. No one is in much of a hurry.

Here is the URL: https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/cta-announces-nextgen-tv-test-suite-specs-for-2021-models .

L

LinleyG
    Participant

This is the second night in a row that KCRW (RF33) has been off the air.

L

boisebill
    Participant

Still waiting for the promised firmware update that activates the ATSC 3.0 tuner in my Sony TV. Last update got 4k 120 Hz enabled and it doesn’t reboot for no reason now.

LinleyG
    Participant

There is a new ATSC3 on channel RF16 tonight. Amplitude appears to be well below what KORS-CD is licensed for.

The even lower amplitude ATSC3 signal on channel RF15 (KOXO-CD?) remains on but still at a low amplitude.

Linley

washnotore
    Participant

Come to think of it. Just before Daystar owned KPXG-LD returned to air last year. There was open carrier signal broadcasting. From there new shared transmitter with KGWZ-LD and KOXI-CD. While KPXG-LD was waiting for there new encoder to be installed at the Skyline site.

It make me wonder what other type ATSC 3.0 gear. That stations like Watch TV are using. During this time of Beta testing. After all anyone can detect the open RF carrier wave. But it’s the types different hardware/encoder technologies. That will be in use with ATSC 3.0 broadcasting.

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.